Hopper 3 Failing Check Switch on Installation

cableview

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
Pennsylvania, US
I have recently had two separate retail jobs in which the Hopper 3s I've installed have failed check switch. This seems to be a recurring issue with the newest software (H316 downloaded via USB). One of these installs was a complete new install, so new LNB, cable, ground block, hub, etc. I went to install the Hopper 3 and on the installation screen it would have trouble detecting a satellite signal, while my meter read perfectly. When running a manual check switch, it would detect "DP Feed" and show only 2 tuners, and only satellite 61 or 72, never both. Messed around with this for nearly 30 minutes, couldn't get it to work, tried a different Hopper 3 and installed fine.

Again I had another similar situation with a different H316 Hopper 3, and had to swap it as well. Some other installers I speak to have recently had issues with this as well. Has anyone else experienced this or know a way to get the Hopper to correctly pick up the signal? Have only recently noticed this on Hopper 3s, before the past 1-2 weeks it was a very rare occurance.

I have recently had two separate retail jobs in which the Hopper 3s I've installed have failed check switch. This seems to be a recurring issue with the newest software (H316 downloaded via USB). One of these installs was a complete new install, so new LNB, cable, ground block, hub, etc. I went to install the Hopper 3 and on the installation screen it would have trouble detecting a satellite signal, while my meter read perfectly. When running a manual check switch, it would detect "DP Feed" and show only 2 tuners, and only satellite 61 or 72, never both. Messed around with this for nearly 30 minutes, couldn't get it to work, tried a different Hopper 3 and installed fine.

Again I had another similar situation with a different H316 Hopper 3, and had to swap it as well. Some other installers I speak to have recently had issues with this as well. Has anyone else experienced this or know a way to get the Hopper to correctly pick up the signal? Have only recently noticed this on Hopper 3s, before the past 1-2 weeks it was a very rare occurance.
There are 2 issues with the software on new installs. One is where the check switch will only show 1 Sat and you have to do a hard reset, sometimes more than one, to get it to pass the check switch.
The other is the 0 of 0 Tuner Glitch. This one, The tuner/Transponder/Satellite will show 0 for Tuner and 0 for Transponder.
The trick is to change Tuner to 1 and back out til you get the Acquiring Signal screen. Once the status bar turns green, power off manually and power on and it should be OK

The other is the 0 of 0 Tuner Glitch. This one, The tuner/Transponder/Satellite will show 0 for Tuner and 0 for Transponder.
Dunno if it helps here since you are taking about installations, but when one of my receivers gets stuck at acquiring signal after a reboot I notice the same tuner 0 / satellite - / transponder 0 thing in diagnostics, what I’ve found that helps is highlighting the tuner box and hitting select until the satellite and transponder populate, usually after 4 presses it works and the signal bar on the bottom starts reading SS again. After that backing out will bring you back to acquiring signal but it will actually start to progress.

Dunno if it helps here since you are taking about installations, but when one of my receivers gets stuck at acquiring signal after a reboot I notice the same tuner 0 / satellite - / transponder 0 thing in diagnostics, what I’ve found that helps is highlighting the tuner box and hitting select until the satellite and transponder populate, usually after 4 presses it works and the signal bar on the bottom starts reading SS again. After that backing out will bring you back to acquiring signal but it will actually start to progress.
That's a good one to try. I never heard of that one

Reactions: charlesrshell
Okay I just ran into a similar situation with my MB H3. FR H3 working without issue, MB H3 displays error 535 acquiring satellite screen and makes no progress. Tried numerous hard resets and a soft reset. Supposed to be hitting sats 61.5 and 72. Found this thread so I tried Ethanlerma's suggestion to highlight the tuner box and hit select until the satellite and transponder populate. This got the numbers off 0 but guide would still not download. Went back to that screen and decided to run a check switch and lost my 72 satellite, 61.5 showing 57 signal strength and locked. For some reason it was still telling me complete signal loss. I had some channels in the guide, mostly locals, but none would tune. So I removed the coax and ran another check switch to clear the matrix and then reattached the coax and ran again, but still only got 61.5. I ran several check switches in a row and still only got 61.5. I checked and made sure there was no snow on my dish and Family Room was still working perfectly. Decided to unplug the receiver again and do hard reset and after it came back up I ran another check switch and this time I got both satellites to lock and everything is working like it is supposed to. Very frustrating and I figured I'd share in case anyone else runs into the same thing.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My buddy's Hopper 3 had the same problems a month ago and he asked me about it. He said he couldn't get the status screen to complete or the check switch installation. I told him to get DISH out to look because maybe the lnb was failing. His installer came and installed a new hybrid lnb for western arc and then tried to run the check switch and it still failed. The installer then thought a minute and said let me put some terminator caps on the two ports we aren't using. He then did that and the check switch completed and the status screen was back to normal. :smug