Hopper 3, how in the world can I view/manage recorded movies with the same name?

ppappas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 10, 2004
San Jose, CA
I have quite a number of recorded movies with multiple versions and the same name. For example, I have all three versions of Carrie, two versions of King Kong, two of Death Wish, two of The Mummy, just to name a few. These were all recorded on my previous VIP 722K which had no problem showing them in a folder in the recording list, but on the Hopper, no such luck. Unlike episodes in a series which work fine, the tile for movies with the same name show the correct number of recordings, but there is no way to see them all. Selecting the tile just brings up a screen to watch one of the moves with a description that may or may not even match the one you can watch. Many of the other differences from the VIP series are just annoying, but this is actually unacceptable. Am I missing something? I don't know what to do and am ready to toss the Hopper and go back to my 722.
Thanks for any advice!

Reactions: charlesrshell
You can create folders on the Hopper. In the DVR, hit options and then select manage recordings and select all the recordings you want to move to a specific folder, and when you click on move, you’ll get the option to create a fold
The 722 automatically created a folder if you recorded more than one movie with exactly the same name. The Hopper appears to do that at first glance, the tile has a number in the bottom right corner indicating the number of recordings, but selecting it does not show you all those recordings.

I also found another post about folders where someone said you can't move folders from the Hopper to an EHD. Is this true? If so, then folders are useless. I also tried moving one of the recording tiles that in theory contains two movies of the same name (King Kong) from my EHD to the Hopper. No difference, I still can't see both movies.

I also found another post about folders where someone said you can't move folders from the Hopper to an EHD. Is this true? If so, then folders are useless. I also tried moving one of the recording tiles that in theory contains two movies of the same name (King Kong) from my EHD to the Hopper. No difference, I still can't see both movies.
For me, I haven't recorded movies but basically tv shows which are all listed it's own icon with the # on the corner before you click into it, those would move to the EHDD's with the same view but if I put them into folders then when it goes to the EHDD, it ends up without the folder so it's still the name of the show and the number of recordings for that show in the icon. I haven't found a way to move the folder so it is in a folder on the EHDD yet unless someone else knows how. And before I forget, your complaints with the Hopper 3 actually allowed me to learn new things too which I am thankful for.

I have confirmed that folders cannot be moved to an EHD. You can only move the recordings within the folder to an EHD. The stupid thing with Folders, is there doesn't seem to be any way to move recordings out of the folder once inside. Maybe deleting the folder would work, but I didn't want to risk it with my experiment. What I had to do was move the recording that was in the folder on to the EHD, and then delete the folder. Then I could move the recording back to the Hopper.

My conclusion right now is that the Hopper 3 is totally broken when dealing with different movies with the same name. The first picture is from my 722. The list is of movies with multiple versions moved from a EHD backup copy. The second picture is on the Hopper. You can see that Journey to the Center of the Earth indicates there are two recordings because I have this older version and the more recent version with Brendan Fraser. Selecting this tile brings up the third picture in which there is no way to get at the second recording. What it should do is bring up a list of recordings the same way with episodes of a series.

This is a serious bug, how can I get this to someone at Dish who will understand and be able to do something about it? I don't want to deal with their telephone CSRs because all they know how to do is follow a script.

Attachments

• 2023-09-18 16.13.27.jpg
    2023-09-18 16.13.27.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 2023-09-18 17.05.37.jpg
    2023-09-18 17.05.37.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 2023-09-18 17.05.59.jpg
    2023-09-18 17.05.59.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 66
The other thing about the folders that are for the same title, not the ones you have set in the timer is you cannot select individual recordings inside that folder as it has to either move all or none. I noticed the issue you mentioned does happen to recordings of the same title in a folder sometimes where it will show a higher number when you are outside the folder than when you view the folder which seems like the Hopper 3 is counting more than the actual amount or the missing recordings are hidden. I mean maybe there can be a bug report/suggestions thread that Josh.M can take and then send to the appropriate people inside DISH as a idea?

BTW, no need to post the same issue on multiple topics. I already answered in the other post.

I wish I could get in touch with this VP because I just found what I consider to be a very serious problem with the Hopper and its DVR capability. It does not deal correctly with movie recordings with the same name but are different versions. For example, I have all three versions of Carrie recorded but only one can be seen and played on the Hopper. The tile shows there are three recordings but only one is accessible. I have a dozen movies like this recorded and my VIP 722 was fine with them.

There is no need to contact any VP who will tell you that the function has been there since day one. But, to your base concern, Yes, you can.

Open the one that says Carrie, then look at the above tabs. You will see a tab called (Episodes) allowing you to choose which one you want to play. You can scroll down and see the program info for each Carrie movie, when it was recorded, the synopsis, etc.

That feature has been there since EHDs were released for years now.

I have a few Robin Hood (the Kevin Costner version and the original), Journey to the Center of the Earth movies and The Day the Earth Stood Still. They show as a single tile, but if you open it, you can select which one you want to play from the 2nd Episodes tab to review and play whichever version you want.

Maybe just ask here before you start to call in bug issues for something that is not a but. Some old users and experts here probably know more than any random C/S person you get on the phone.

By the way, it's also handled the same way on the internal drive.

BTW, no need to post the same issue on multiple topics. I already answered in the other post.

There is no need to contact any VP who will tell you that the function has been there since day one. But, to your base concern, Yes, you can.

Open the one that says Carrie, then look at the above tabs. You will see a tab called (Episodes) allowing you to choose which one you want to play. You can scroll down and see the program info for each Carrie movie, when it was recorded, the synopsis, etc.

That feature has been there since EHDs were released for years now.

I have a few Robin Hood (the Kevin Costner version and the original), Journey to the Center of the Earth movies and The Day the Earth Stood Still. They show as a single tile, but if you open it, you can select which one you want to play from the 2nd Episodes tab to review and play whichever version you want.

Maybe just ask here before you start to call in bug issues for something that is not a but. Some old users and experts here probably know more than any random C/S person you get on the phone.

By the way, it's also handled the same way on the internal drive.
Thank You, thank you, thank you!! This was not obvious or intuitive. I assumed it would work like multiple recordings of a TV show. You select the show and the next screen is a list of recorded episodes. It didn't occur to me to check the tabs up above. This is the kind of stuff that should be documented in a user manual.

Thank You, thank you, thank you!! This was not obvious or intuitive. I assumed it would work like multiple recordings of a TV show. You select the show and the next screen is a list of recorded episodes. It didn't occur to me to check the tabs up above. This is the kind of stuff that should be documented in a user manual.
Dish should spend some time to write a comprehensive manual of all the options and hidden utilities, etc. contained in the H3. It does almost everything that you want it to do, it's just not necessarily intuitive, which button sequence gets you there.

Last edited:
Dish should spend some time to write a comprehensive manual of all the options and hidden utilities, etc. contained in the H3. It does almost everything that you want it to do, it's just not necessarily intuitive, which button sequence gets you there.
On the left, the manual that came with my 722, on the right, what came with my Hopper. 130 pages vs. 27! And the stuff Dish has online for the Hopper is woefully inadequate.

Attachments

• 2023-09-19 12.27.26.jpg
    2023-09-19 12.27.26.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 53
Interesting, without looking at the screen, I always thought even for multiple recordings of a tv show which is my only experience, I thought it was also under a episodes tab except you don't need to manually select it. So another new thing I learned based on your recent experience with things with many thanks once again.

The problem with that is they will need to keep it up to date because when you look at 2016 to now, there are things that was there and no longer there like for the audio volume for example among other things that they might have removed, added, etc. over time.

The problem with that is they will need to keep it up to date because when you look at 2016 to now, there are things that was there and no longer there like for the audio volume for example among other things that they might have removed, added, etc. over time.
It's simple, when you make such a change, you also update the on line manual for the device. It only takes a few minutes to update what was done and it saves CSR time in the future if users can help themselves.

Of course there will always be the needy who don't attempt to help themselves and just call in for little or no reason at all - that can't be easily fixed.

It's simple, when you make such a change, you also update the on line manual for the device. It only takes a few minutes to update what was done and it saves CSR time in the future if users can help themselves.

Of course there will always be the needy who don't attempt to help themselves and just call in for little or no reason at all - that can't be easily fixed.
Simple for us to say but for them to implement is another story. If you look at mydish.com, make a payment, the balance does not update immediately for example until the next day. If you check the mydish app, the balance is updated and the same if you made a payment in the app, it also updates in real time so while it may take a few minutes, it may require review and approval for the changes which is what takes time. The other issue is the on line manual and the software updates is related. If we don't even have a change log for each software update, unless the software developers kept the ones who updates the online manual in sync, they also wouldn't know what was changed.

It would be really funny if the online manual talked about a red light in the front and the clueless would be looking all over for it!