Hopper 3 input question?

Suraj

Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Milwaukee
Hello, so I upgraded to the Hopper 3 yesterday and I have a question about the input. So every time I turn off my TV(not my receiver) the input on my TV stays the same at "HDMI 1" but a black screen shows up with "No Signal" on the screen. To get the cable to show up on my tv screen I have to press input on my remote about 4 times and go all the way through the inputs on my TV for the "No Signal" screen to go away. This is very annoying! It never did this with my previous Hopper. Before I could just turn off my TV and it would stay on the same channel as the Hopper and I could start surfing through my dish channels as soon as the TV was turned on. Now I have to press input 4 times just to watch tv even though it's on the right input, "HDMI 1", when I turn the TV on. Is there any way I can change this so when I turn off my TV it stays on the HDMI 1 input and I can immediately start watching TV? My grandma, who watches the TV periodically throughout the day, doesn't understand changing the input on the TV. She's about 90 and doesn't really understand technology so she's having a terrible time with this. She doesn't even watch TV anymore until someone comes home to change the input for her. To me this is a very annoying thing but I can deal with it. It's mainly my grandma that needs this fixed back to its old ways. Any help is appreciated.

What you are saying does not make sense. If all you did was turn off the TV, and some time later turn the TV on there should be no change to the TV input setting and you should be able to watch Dish programming again as you did before turning the TV off.
Are you also turning the H3 off? If the H3 is off or has not fully booted yet that would explain your problems. By the time you cycle the inputs the H3 has had time to boot. Slow down watch what is on screen and see if my explanation may be valid.

You might try to disable HDMI-CEC. Menu, Settings, Remote, CEC Off...
I just tried that and it did not work. I checked to see if some setting on the tv had gotten changed. After going through the tvs menu/settings there was nothing on there either. Thanks for the reply though

What you are saying does not make sense. If all you did was turn off the TV, and some time later turn the TV on there should be no change to the TV input setting and you should be able to watch Dish programming again as you did before turning the TV off.
Are you also turning the H3 off? If the H3 is off or has not fully booted yet that would explain your problems. By the time you cycle the inputs the H3 has had time to boot. Slow down watch what is on screen and see if my explanation may be valid.
I have tried that. I've left it on the screen where it says "no signal" for over 10 minutes while I was reading the remotes manual guide. That did nothing. I'm really not sure why it is doing this.

I have tried that. I've left it on the screen where it says "no signal" for over 10 minutes while I was reading the remotes manual guide. That did nothing. I'm really not sure why it is doing this.
Also the Hopper is usually not off when I've turned the tv on. The green light is on everytime I turn my tv back on.

I'm still thinking this is a CEC issue. Two things, what is the make and model of the TV, what kind of connection do you have between the Hopper and the TV. Also, what remote are you using?

undefined

The first picture is of the TV when I first turn it on. It's on the correct input but the screen says "No Signal" and it'll stay like that forever. The second picture is of the screen after I go through all the inputs on the TV and get back to the HDMI input.

Attachments

• IMG_1162.JPG
    IMG_1162.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1164.JPG
    IMG_1164.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 215
I'm still thinking this is a CEC issue. Two things, what is the make and model of the TV, what kind of connection do you have between the Hopper and the TV. Also, what remote are you using?

I turned off the HDMI-CEC through the settings and I'm not sure how I find the connection between the Hopper and TV. Is that easy to find out? Also the remote I am using is the 52.0 remote that comes with the Hopper 3.

When I had this issue is was an issue with the handshake between the tv and receiver and I needed to use a different HDMI cable and that fixed it but when it happened at my aunt's it was an issue with her receiver' s HDMI port

Reactions: charlesrshell
This may be a designed "Feature" of your TV. Some devices will, when one HDMI source terminates, scan for the next one and stop there if found.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I venture a guess and say it's an LG TV, based on the display of the Channel Input menu. It also looks like the HDMI 1 input is shared with a DVI input. It may be your main input, but you may have better luck switching your Hopper 3 to HDMI 2 or HDMI 3 and switching that displaced device to HDMI 1/DVI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)