Hopper 3 / Joey 3 configuration question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BarnRat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
SW USA
When our new Dish configuration was installed on Jan 4th, replacing our two 625s, the tech used some sort of switch on the rooftop dish antenna. Could someone explain this switch to me? . . .

From the rooftop dish there are two coax cables, one runs to the Hopper 3 and the other runs across to the far side of the house to the Joey 3. There is no (separate) cable directly connecting the Hopper 3 to the Joey 3. The tech used some sort of switch to accomplish the connection between the Hopper 3 and the Joey 3. What is this switch and how does it work? Is it some sort of multiplexor?

BTW, the tech was great and completed the install in about 1.5 hours, and my wife and I enjoy the new system very much.

How do you manage to watch recordings from Hopper3 on tv connected to Joey3?
My installer years ago told me Joeys are required to be connected to Hopper3.
Has the technology improved that much?

Glad the family is happy. Hopefully, Hipkat will respond here.

Glad the family is happy. Hopefully, Hipkat will respond

A Joey is not a separate receiver. It is a slave that allows you to view content from the Jopper it is connected to.

That "Switch" is actually called a Node.
node2.jpg

Glad the family is happy. Hopefully, Hipkat will respond here.
In some manner, the Joey 3 is hard-wire connected to the Hopper 3. That's my question: how is this done? A multiplexor/switch?

Yeah, the system is great! Love it.

That "Switch" is actually called a Node.
View attachment 160648
When the tech arrived I told him that I had cleared the area where he would have to run the coax cable from the Hopper 3 thru the wall to the outside of the house and up to the roof to connect to the existing cable to the Joey 3. He just smiled at me and said "that would work fine . . . but I have an easier/quicker solution . . ." :clapping

Reactions: charlesrshell
Am I correct in assuming that my configuration is no different than any other Hopper 3 <--> Joey 3 hard-wired configuration except that instead of the hub being inside the house close to the Hopper 3, it is instead up on the roof so that it can connect easily to the existing coax?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Am I correct in assuming that my configuration is no different than any other Hopper 3 <--> Joey 3 hard-wired configuration except that instead of the hub being inside the house close to the Hopper 3, it is instead up on the roof so that it can connect easily to the existing coax?
You are correct. The hub can go anywhere the Hopper/Joey coaxes are. Your coaxes are on your roof. Mine happen to be in my garage so my hub is located there. I have a bit of a different configuration than you, my LNB is not a hybrid so I have a 42 switch to add in the hybrid required for the Hopper 3. My 42 switch happens to be located at the dish location on my roof. That was done to prevent the need for another coax run from my dish to my garage. The power inserter for that switch is located in my garage.

The hub is placed where the homerun or a faction of a homerun is found. Inside or outside has no meaning