Hopper 3 MoCA Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

snc_jd

Original poster
Feb 4, 2019
Paso Robles, CA
In work in I.T. and we have been noticing an odd internet issue on one of our clients networks. They have had intermittent internet connectivity where their devices fail to receive a DHCP from their router.

I know a sparse amount about these Dish setups but they have two Hopper 3's, both connected via WIFI, bridged MoCA, DUO Node outside, and two Joey's. My question is would this cause a switching loop inside the LAN network?

We noticed weird DHCP logs whereas the log shows

19:37:40 disk: dhcp,warning dhcp offering lease for 4C-82-CF-XX-XX-XX to CC-C0-79-XX-XX-XX without success

4C-82-CF-XX-XX-XX is one of the hopper devices MAC address, and CC-C0-79-XX-XX-XX is a samsung phone MAC. This is a very weird messages which we've never seen before. It seems as if the Hopper is a part of the internet link from device to router and is passing traffic along.

Normal operation looks like this

feb/04 18:11:11 dhcp,info dhcp-server assigned 192.168.1.243 to CC:C0:79:XX:XX:XX

We tried to disconnect the WIFI on one of the hoppers by setting a random SSID but then it had no internet connectivity. We then turned off bridging and connected it back to the WIFI and everything seems good until the customer quickly realized they could no longer see both DVR's on the Joey's. Deal breaker.

We have spent far too much time on this and I feel like I'm going in circles. Does any of this make sense?

I will have to see if that's the case. They had some papers that said Hopper 3 on it. I didn't verify that, but I will. It's also entirely possible that the switch wasn't actually hooked up. There was a mess of wires I didn't even try to go through. I saw it and took note.

One of the easiest ways to spot a Hopper 3 is the red pinstripe on the front panel.

One Hopper acts like a bridge to the other Hoppers and joeys (WiFi - Cat5 to MOCA). The other Hopper should not be connected via WiFi or Cat5.

Years ago, having 2 Hoppers connected via Ethernet (WiFi or Cat5) would result in very strange hopper behavior, but I don’t remember it causing strange network connection.

Another (much less common) network connection is via an Ethernet Cat5 to MOCA bridge; and in that case all devices connect directly to the router. Bridging should be turned off in the 2 Hoppers.

After rereading the error message, it almost sounds as if the Hopper tried to accept a WiFi request from a phone. I wonder if the second Hopper has bridging turned on, and is getting its network connection via the Cat5 or MOCA, and acting as a wireless access point!???

Thanks to everyone who replied. The issues has been resolved. I verified they were Hopper 3's. The switch I was referring to was not hooked up. There were a few bundles of coax which made it hard to know what was hooked up. I couldn't find where the active switch was located and since the issue was resolved I didn't waste my time.

Having both hopper's connected to WIFI and bridged was causing havoc on their network in the form of a broadcast storm because of a switching loop. This was ultimately causing all sorts of weird connectivity issues just like we originally thought. We found something similar a few months back regarding a Sonos system configured in much the same way.

So what was/is your final setup to fix the problem?!
Thanks to everyone who replied. The issues has been resolved. I verified they were Hopper 3's. The switch I was referring to was not hooked up. There were a few bundles of coax which made it hard to know what was hooked up. I couldn't find where the active switch was located and since the issue was resolved I didn't waste my time.

Having both hopper's connected to WIFI and bridged was causing havoc on their network in the form of a broadcast storm because of a switching loop. This was ultimately causing all sorts of weird connectivity issues just like we originally thought. We found something similar a few months back regarding a Sonos system configured in much the same way.

Sent from my SM-T290 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: TheLip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)