Hopper 3 not supported on my installation?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheViking

Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Minneapolis
So today I have 2 hopper 2's, and 3 Joey's - I contacted dish first via chat, then via email , to ask what it would take to move to 1 hopper 3 and 3 (or 4) joeys (I don't really need 4 its more of a nice to have)

What they told me was that 'hopper 3 is not supported in your installation'

This is what they said:

"
Hopper 3 is not allowed for this installation, as the required programming is not compatible with required hybrid LNB.
Your installation requires an additional satellite dish. Unfortunately, at this time the equipment the Hopper 3 uses does not support the additional dish your installation requires.
"

What would cause my installation to need a hybrid LNB or an additional satellite dish?

All I want is a path forward so I can finally get the number of tuners I want.

Thanks!

You need a Hybrid LNB in order to use the Hopper 3.

I am guessing your locals setup is why the Hybrid does not work.

Good news is in a few weeks, your existing DISH setup will be able to be used as a new switch is being released which converts your DISH's signal to the Hybrid signal that the Hopper 3 needs to operate.

Do you have foreign language programming or some other programming that requires a wing dish?

Currently the hybrid LNB does not support that configuration, so you either stay at your current configuration until the new hardware is available or your drop the programming that eliminates your elegibility for the H3.

If this is not the case, there may be an error in your file on Dish Network's computers - check it out.

Have DIRT get the particulars for you.

I can't think of any programming we have that would need something special - we just have the Dish Americas 250 for programming.

How can I check my file on the Dish Network computers? They have to be the least forthcoming with information customer service department I've encountered in a long long time.

But I am fine waiting a few weeks. Then the next challenge is to get Dish to give me the hopper 3 for free , since I'm not in the mood to give them more money than I already have over the last 17+ years ;)

Strange wording about the required programming. I wonder why they just don't say the hopper3 needs equipment not compatible with current setup.
Even then adding a 2nd dish with hybrid LNB and node would work.

I can't think of any programming we have that would need something special - we just have the Dish Americas 250 for programming.

How can I check my file on the Dish Network computers? They have to be the least forthcoming with information customer service department I've encountered in a long long time.

But I am fine waiting a few weeks. Then the next challenge is to get Dish to give me the hopper 3 for free , since I'm not in the mood to give them more money than I already have over the last 17+ years ;)
Do you have two dishes? If so, you won't get an H3 update through Dish until the DPH42 switch propagates through the ordering system. If you have two dishes, even DIRT can't get you set up even though some people have had success with a wing dish connected to the hybrid LNB input. (The DPH42 will support up to 4 LNBs on a mix of dishes.)

If you have international programming the satellite at 118 may be the issue. The existing Dish 1000 Plus can't be upgraded with the hybrid LNB.

If you only have a single dish and all of your programming is on either 110, 119 and 129 (e.g., "western arc") OR 61.5 and 72.7 (e.g., "eastern arc") then DIRT may be able to update your records and get the H3 install going. Others have posted here that in most cases you don't need the 77 satellite but if for some reason your locals are still on that satellite, you may also be stuck waiting.

We are getting 110, 119 and 129 according to my current Hopper.
That's the typical "western arc" configuration.

That status screen also indicates the type of LNBs and switches being used. As long as you do not have multiple dishes due to sight-line issues (e.g., trees), you should be able to get a Hopper 3 system.

Hopper 3 currently requires a 1000.2 dish with the hybrid LNB. If that is the dish you currently use, the LNB can be swapped. If not, the dish would need to be replaced also.

Contact DIRT via private message here on this forum and describe your situation. Include your account or phone number and PIN. They can generally update your account so an H3 is allowed. (DIRT members are shown in red in the helpers section on the main forum page.)

Best of luck.

You probably had/have a "low beam tag" on your acct. A very annoying "tag" that is left over from when they had trouble with 129, and you needed a 24" dish pointed at it. Every time I do a "Dishing it up" and the customer has had HD for more than about 6-7 years, it comes up. Dish's computer will say you can't have a H3... It is a joke, exacerbated by CSRs that don't have a clue. The 129 issue was resolved last decade, but this "tag" is still on accts and a pain to deal with. The dumb thing is, you can hook a wing dish (129) to a Western arc hybrid LNB and it works fine, so even if the 24" dish was needed, it would be fine. But it is "outside the box" of Dish's thinking, so "YOU CAN'T DO IT"...

I spent hours on the phone with CSRs trying to activate H3s when they first came out, trying to figure this problem out. Most CSRs know how to deal with it now, and will remove the tag. I had more than a couple insist I couldn't do the install, so I hung up and called back and started playing "CSR roulet" until I got one that had a clue.

Anyway, that is what I think the problem is, you probably had it fixed by now.

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)