Hopper 3 on 1080p? Mistified by Dish support call

vrmerlin

Original poster
Jul 2, 2016
California
I've been with Dish for about 3 years, using an original Hopper (a new model came out a month or two after we committed to two years). I have one Joey. The two televisions are 1080p. I'd like to upgrade both someday to 4k, but nothing is imminent.

I called today to see if I could upgrade my DVR equipment to the Hopper 3. He asked if I had a 4k television, and I said no, I don't, but will in the future. He then replied that the Hopper 3 would be of no benefit to me at all, and that I should wait until I get a 4k television. I replied that that sounded kinda strange -- that the Hopper 3 was incompatible with 1080p televisions. But he insisted it was the case (and got rather condescending about it).

I've browsed around some on this forum, and it sounds like he is wrong. So, let me ask, what should I do? I'm guessing what I want is a Hopper 3 and a 4K Joey, that will be both connected to 1080p televisions (for now). I'd like to get the upgrade free (and make another two year commitment). Otherwise, why shouldn't I switch to DirecTV?

Thanks,
John

I've been with Dish for about 3 years, using an original Hopper (a new model came out a month or two after we committed to two years). I have one Joey. The two televisions are 1080p. I'd like to upgrade both someday to 4k, but nothing is imminent.

I called today to see if I could upgrade my DVR equipment to the Hopper 3. He asked if I had a 4k television, and I said no, I don't, but will in the future. He then replied that the Hopper 3 would be of no benefit to me at all, and that I should wait until I get a 4k television. I replied that that sounded kinda strange -- that the Hopper 3 was incompatible with 1080p televisions. But he insisted it was the case (and got rather condescending about it).

I've browsed around some on this forum, and it sounds like he is wrong. So, let me ask, what should I do? I'm guessing what I want is a Hopper 3 and a 4K Joey, that will be both connected to 1080p televisions (for now). I'd like to get the upgrade free (and make another two year commitment). Otherwise, why shouldn't I switch to DirecTV?

Thanks,
John
Get the H3 and 4K joey. If asked about your tv just say it is.

16 tuners was all the reason I needed.

Are you a big ota user?

Reactions: stardust3
There is no reason a person would have to have a 4K TV in order to enjoy the 16 tuners the Hopper3 provides - the CSR was clueless, or at best misinformed.

As a matter for fact the Hopper3 does not support 4K TV but the 4K Joey does, but the 4K Joey does not have to be paired with a 4K TV.

There is no reason a person would have to have a 4K TV in order to enjoy the 16 tuners the Hopper3 provides - the CSR was clueless, or at best misinformed.

As a matter for fact the Hopper3 does not support 4K TV but the 4K Joey does, but the 4K Joey does not have to be paired with a 4K TV.

That's incorrect. The Hopper 3 does support 4K.

I have read that in order to enjoy 4K Tv a 4K Joey was required because the Hopper3 did not itself support 4K, perhaps I am out of date with my information, but I had not read the contrary.

I have done a bit of research and determined that The Hopper3 DOES support 4K, so I was mistaken.

Like spoiler1041 said, tell them yes on the 4k tv regardless if you have 1 or not.

It's absurd the rep would even say that's a requirement for the h3.

The CSR didn't say it was incompatible. They said it would be of no benefit if you have no 4K TV, not bad advice. The OP is who said he was surprised it was incompatible, at which point judging from his post the CSR by then was just going along with what he said. If you want the latest and greatest and want another two year commitment the Hopper 3 will work just fine on a 1080p TV and it may have features you want.

images.png

Thanks,
John
Before you get 4k tv be sure to read reviews of 1080p vs 4k then after you draw a conclusion about spending your money wisely go back and read about HDR...... then HDR available programming. Then you are properly prepared.

I say nothing about avr's and 4K compatibility so you have plausible deniabilty for the wife when you have to go buy a new one. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Having 16 tuners and just the huge boost in performance is reason enough to get the hopper 3. Just because you don't have a 4K tv now doesn't mean you shouldn't get the H3. Future proof yourself and also eliminate the sluggishness of older hoppers. You'll love the speed.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

View attachment 118078
Before you get 4k tv be sure to read reviews of 1080p vs 4k then after you draw a conclusion about spending your money wisely go back and read about HDR...... then HDR available programming. Then you are properly prepared.

I say nothing about avr's and 4K compatibility so you have plausible deniabilty for the wife when you have to go buy a new one. :)

At this point in time, almost all the AVRs that make claim to 4K support are having issues with some TVs. And all or most are only meeting full 4K HDMI/HDCP spec on 3 of their HDMI ports. And since even 4K BluRay players are coming with 2 HDMI outputs, one for video, one for audio, there is no reason, other than some convenience, to buy an AVR.

And given that the specs surrounding 4K are set in very soft stone these days, waiting is probably a better move. In the meantime, connect the 4K source HDMI to the TV directly and use optical for the audio. Only with 4K BluRay players would connecting otherwise is really needed IMO.

I've been researching this for some time now and came very close to getting an Onkyo NR757 THX AVR today. But common sense kept me from doing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: spoiler1041
At this point in time, almost all the AVRs that make claim to 4K support are having issues with some TVs. And all or most are only meeting full 4K HDMI/HDCP spec on 3 of their HDMI ports. And since even 4K BluRay players are coming with 2 HDMI outputs, one for video, one for audio, there is no reason, other than some convenience, to buy an AVR.

And given that the specs surrounding 4K are set in very soft stone these days, waiting is probably a better move. In the meantime, connect the 4K source HDMI to the TV directly and use optical for the audio. Only with 4K BluRay players would connecting otherwise is really needed IMO.

I've been researching this for some time now and came very close to getting an Onkyo NR757 THX AVR today. But common sense kept me from doing it.

I have yet to pull the trigger but when I go HDR I will do a new avr for atmos decoding.

I have yet to pull the trigger but when I go HDR I will do a new avr for atmos decoding.

Is there very much source material with atmos encoding?

I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to replace the 70" Sharp 4K I got last year that the specs surrounding 4K will be fully implemented on all the gear claiming support.

Atmos encoding seems to be supported on quite a few AVRs now. DTS-:mad:?) seems to be lagging a bit though.

I would not spend the money for a Joey 4K. No benefit. Less features than the Joey 2.0. Some people say it is faster but I do not notice much of a difference between the 2.0 vs 4K. No Netflix on the 4K and Scott advised that pip would more than likely never be implemented. But dish does advertise soon for some of these features on the 4K Well the 4K does have Bluetooth.

The CSR didn't say it was incompatible. They said it would be of no benefit if you have no 4K TV, not bad advice. The OP is who said he was surprised it was incompatible, at which point judging from his post the CSR by then was just going along with what he said. If you want the latest and greatest and want another two year commitment the Hopper 3 will work just fine on a 1080p TV and it may have features you want.

No, he was basically saying they were incompatible. I kept pressing him on this point, and he said it wouldn't work unless it was a 4k television. I was almost sure he was wrong, but finally I gave up.

I would not spend the money for a Joey 4K. No benefit. Less features than the Joey 2.0. Some people say it is faster but I do not notice much of a difference between the 2.0 vs 4K. No Netflix on the 4K and Scott advised that pip would more than likely never be implemented. But dish does advertise soon for some of these features on the 4K Well the 4K does have Bluetooth.

Ok, so that's an interesting distinction -- if I get the 4K Joey, I can't watch the H3 Netflix on it?? That's not good. PIP isn't a huge deal. What else would I be missing on a Joey 4k (vs a 2.0)?

Ok, so that's an interesting distinction -- if I get the 4K Joey, I can't watch the H3 Netflix on it?? That's not good. PIP isn't a huge deal. What else would I be missing on a Joey 4k (vs a 2.0)?
The 4K Joey has some Netflix issues based on the Netflix app. If Netflix is important to you in that location go with the regular Joey. Netflix works just fine on them. I mean it's not like you have a 4K TV there, yet. When you get to that point you can always trade it out and by then maybe Netflix will have an app that works with the 4K Joey....

Reactions: KAB
Just to clear the air, I have had my H3 since day1, and I have no 4K TVs. All of Dish receivers are backwards compatible, meaning they will all work with lower quality than their max. The 722 can do the same job as the 625, the Hopper can work on any TV the 722 can, the H3 can work on any tv the Hopper can, etc. the CS was dead wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts