Hopper acting weird

Other than upgrades, I have replaced one receiver in the last 4+ years, and all my receivers have always been DVRs. Come to think of it, when I had TWC, I replaced those receivers 4 times in under two years.

Yeh, I had a 722k replaced twice in three years...one a power supply, the other a bad HDMI port. Replaced Hopper once in three years...hard drive failure...a Seagate, no doubt.

Reliability is often relevant to environment....ie, ventilation, power conditions.

Environment is fine, both hoppers are in my air conditioned 4' x15' wiring closet on ventilated shelves with auxiliary cooling fans, and plugged into a 450 watt/700 VA Smart UPS. I just checked and the current temperature in there is 68, I think I can rule out environment. :)

Darren

Reactions: Hall
Dish will insist it be plugged directly into a wall outlet ;)
Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I understand where they are coming from, especially if it is plugged into a cheap consumer grade power strip. The tag on the plug and the manual tells you yo use an outlet that contains surge protection, I wonder how many people are following that.

What is the highest temp and average temp the hopper is recording?

I will have to remember to look at it when I get home. The Hopper 2000 that just died was 3 years and 2 months old, the Hopper with Sling that was replaced in January was 16 months old.

I understand where they are coming from, especially if it is plugged into a cheap consumer grade power strip. The tag on the plug and the manual tells you yo use an outlet that contains surge protection, I wonder how many people are following that.
Does it say that ? I never paid attention.... Ironic because tech support always wants you to plug it into a wall outlet directly and not to use a power strip of any sort.

I have both my HWS's plugged into UPS's. Never had any problems. I've always had any receiver I've had plugged into one. I've been with Dish for close to 20 years.
In case of a brief power outage, the dvr won't reboot. Important if you are recording.

What is the highest temp and average temp the hopper is recording?

High: 111
Low: 95
Average: 103

*Editied to reflect the older Hopper (replaced January 2015) in stead of the Hopper 2000, I just received.

Last edited:
I haven't looked at the temps on our Hoppers in all of the time we've had one, but compared to temperatures seen in the 622/722/722k line (we had a 622 and 722k), those temperatures are pretty damn impressive !

I haven't looked at the temps on our Hoppers in all of the time we've had one, but compared to temperatures seen in the 622/722/722k line (we had a 622 and 722k), those temperatures are pretty damn impressive !
I did just change the numbers to reflect the older Hopper, not the latest replacement as I figured it gives a longer term picture, but still a high of 111. As I stated I have both Hoppers in my air conditioned wiring closet, each on their own ventilated wire shelf with nothing stacked on or under them. I also have auxiliary fans on the sides of them (I am not powering them from the Hoppers USB ports).

Amazon product ASIN B00G059G86
When I was having our addition done, my closet in the Master Bedroom was the only place where I was extremely specific about where I wanted the AC duct and the placement of the outlets, and the use of a dedicated surge protected circuit. Once I completed my structured wiring the contractor asked me if I would be available to sub contract for structured wiring, I declined as it is not my thing. I do wish I did things differently, like add HDMI cable runs to each room, and I wouldn't have installed RF remote transmitters in each room, with the Hoppers it is not needed and ended up being a waste of money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)