Hopper Announcements

I got excited when I saw "1 Hopper and 3 Joeys free with AT200 and higher", until I realized that was the upfront cost for new subs. Why even point that out? The gear has always been free for new subs. It's basically the same as it is now - 1 HD DVR and 3 HD receivers free.

The monthly fees are exactly what I thought they'd be - 1st Hopper included, each Joey $7, $6 DVR fee, $4 whole home fee. So, my bill will go up $/month.

The question for me is: will we be able to order before 3/15, setting up an install for after 3/15? Or, will we have to wait until 3/15 just to order?

No for $99 you can have 1 hopper and up to 3 joeys. If you want a second Hopper its an additional $199.

Thanks, Scott! So $300 up front for that set up. Decisions, decisions.

Did you have a chance to look at the monthly charges? My 2 722's cost me $17 + 6 = $23. If I read the new info correctly I could have two Hoppers and Joey for $10 + 7 + 7 = $24 per month (or does a Hopper have a higher monthly fee than a Joey?). For the added features and HD on my other TV I'd definitely consider this upgrade.

Also I have the protection plan...would there be any install cost? I assume you're re-upping for two years, correct? I have no issue with that, I am very happy with Dish! :)

i need 2 hoppers and 3 joeys but the hoppers not being able to see each other will not work for me. i'll have to wait until the software release to fix that and then upgrade. maybe there will be a better deal for existing customers be then.

For some the fee after upgrading will be less than current.

For me it is now with 922/722k $17 rcvr + $10 DVR = $27
upgrade to 2 Hopper new fees would be $6 DVR + $4 Whole home + $7 for 2nd Hopper, New total $17 in fees. saving $10.
I f I add 2 Joeys to replace the 2 722 I sold (to get $ to get Hoppers) that would only add $14 more which is $20 less that the 2 722 were so my total savings to get HD to all the sets I had it to before will actually save me $30 from what I was paying before.

Definitely a good deal for me.

It all boils down to whether $8 more per month is worth it to you for whole house DVR. It will be for some and not for others.
I wish it was only $8 for me. Getting 1 more HD feed in a 2 TV setup is not worth $11 more.

For some the fee after upgrading will be less than current.
For most, it won't.

For the largest segment of the customer base (1 receiver, 2 TVs), the fees would be almost triple.

Last edited:
I wish it was only $8 for me. Getting 1 more HD feed in a 2 TV setup is not worth $11 more.

Yep, here's my breakdown for my 722/211k configuration:

722: free
DVR fee: $6
211k fee: $7
Total: $13

Hopper: free
DVR fee: $6
Whole-house fee: $4
Joey: $7
Joey: $7
Total: $24

Still only 3 tuners for both, so for the new UI and the ability to view all recordings on all three TVs it's an extra $11 per month. If the first Joey were included, then you're talking about a $4 increase; much more doable. It's essentially $7 to get the 2nd 722 tuner in HD....

Ok, ignoring taxes and credits, let's look at my current bill and options. I will assume that I would lose my no-locals grandfathered status if I moved to the Hopper/Joey system. If I could keep that, it would be a big incentive and knock $5 off the right 2 columns, and almost certainly tip me over the edge. :D

I have two single mode ViP722 HD DVRs connected to two HDTVs, and a DTVPal driving a 36" SDTV. The other SDTV (27"), which I would never connect to Dish, is in the exercise room and er, uh, let's just say it doesn't get used much. ;) I would consider a Joey at the 36" SDTV but I would be inclined to get two Hoppers, but might go with a Hopper and a Joey (because of that $199 2nd Hopper fee), for the two HDTVs and leave the 36" SDTV with just the DTVPal. Before I would make any change, Dish would have to get the two Hoppers seamless, and the OTA module working, simultaneous multiple EHDs, and I'd pick over the wounds from the arrows in the backs of those pioneers. ;)

Current Bill........................................Hopper & 1 Joey or 2 Hoppers....Hopper & 2 Joeys or 2 Hoppers & 1 Joey
AT250 grandfathered w/o locals: . 64.99.........with: 69.99............................................69.99
Second duo receiver....................17.00
---second device fee..............................................7.00.............................................14.00
BlockBuster................................10.00................10.00.............................................10.00
DVR fee.......................................6.00
---DVR+Whole House fee.....................................10.00.............................................10.00
Protection Plan..............................6.00..................6.00...............................................6.00

.............................................$103.99.............$102.99..........................................$109.99

What price convenience?

For giving up one tuner and redundancy, or paying an up front $199, I can save a dollar a month and add locals (no interest, watch very little big 4 networks, and have excellent OTA antenna system). For an extra $6 more than I pay today, I can add another, infrequently used, TV. The up front costs will never be recouped, they're a write off for convenience. Or have I miscalculated?

Of course, I'm overlooking the $99 up front, unless I'm a cat A customer. Gee, I know I'm one of their most valuable customers. ;) Never late, on autopay for years, AT250 w/BB & protection plan, few calls or visits (IMO), Dish customer since 12/01, have actually turned down freebies, brought a few customers to Dish (of which they only know of 1 or 2), high credit score (just refi'd, I know) but rarely buy PPV, but sub'd for about a year to HBO et al. I guess since I didn't get an email offering the ViP922 for free, I've missed the mark. Maybe needed to go AEP & buy PPV regularly?

BTW, I consider such a system would last a minimum of at least 2 years, and more likely at least 4, before the next upgrade. This factors in any recouping of up front costs or buying a Joey and activating/deactivating it as needed.

I welcome and look forward to any comments.

Formatted on a widescreen. If this does not look lined up reasonably well on a narrow screen, please tell me quickly and I'll try to squish it together more.

One of the biggest reasons it will be more expensive for people is because they are currently mirroring TV2 of a receiver. I currently have a 922 and 211k with 4 HDTVS. Only 2 of my TVs are hooked up to HD. I plan on getting a Hopper and 3 Joeys so all of my TVs are in HD. My bill will end up going up $14 but I'm ok with that because I am adding 2 extra HD feeds.

For most, it won't.

For the largest segment of the customer base (1 receiver, 2 TVs), the fees would be almost triple.
How do you figure? If you go from a single ViP622 or ViP722 series to a Hopper/Joey you only pay, as you noted, $11 more. $7 fee for the Joey (or 2nd Hopper, if you spring for $199) and $4 whole house fee.

Yes, $11 more, on top of the current $6 DVR fee. Total: $17, almost 3x $6.

It's pretty cut & dry. 1st hopper is included with package price, add $6 dvr fee + $ 4 whole home & $7 for each additional whether it is a hopper or joey. It is all billable after the 1st box.

Man I was all set to jump on this but the fees are making me think twice. I have two 322's and was going to go with two 722's before the Hopper rumors started. My fees are $14/month now, would be $23 with the 722's and jump to $31 with the 4 room Hopper setup. HD on all TVs would be great as would the whole home DVR, but that is $192 more per year for me to go the Hopper route over what I have now. Hmmm.

Last edited:
I'm also going to wait to jump on this... I will need 2 Hoppers and 7 Joeys... Not in the cards right now...

Remote control blues? Not anymore!

Dish says I own my receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)