Hopper falls asleep/loses satellite at night

pecochran

Apr 14, 2012
minnesota
Hello,

Sorry for the weird title. Whenever I wake up in the morning, the Hopper needs to find the satellite when I turn it on. It's really annoying because the Joeys won't work until I turn the Hopper on, and today I had an early morning timer, which didn't start recording until I turned on the Hopper, so I missed the first 2 hours of a soccer game (the whole thing). Any suggestions? I've had it for a week, and the weather hasn't been particularly bad or anything. I can't imagine this is normal.

Thanks for the help. I tried to search through some threads and google, but couldn't find any problems that sounded like this.

pecochran

Apr 14, 2012
minnesota
Any ideas? I have a tech coming Saturday, but it seems like something I should be able to figure out. Basically, if it's off for 8 hours or so, when I turn it on, it has the 015 error, searching for satellite. It behaves as though it's powering up from a hard reset.

pecochran

Apr 14, 2012
minnesota
DIRT? Anyone? I actually had a tech out last week who replaced the hopper. Seemed to behave a little better for awhile, but now doing the exact same thing. I don't know what to do. The tech had no ideas other than to replace the box. Anyone have any preliminary ideas to try and make this work? Having a tech out again to replace the box doesn't seem like it's going to make much of a difference.

It seems like maybe it's a problem with the software update trying to download, but I don't know. I had the hopper replaced on 4/21, and I'm still running S207.

pecochran

Apr 14, 2012
minnesota
An interesting development, and possible breakthrough as of this morning. Today is the first day in the 4+ weeks I’ve had the Hopper (including one switched out box) that I woke up in the morning and the Hopper was immediately responsive. I turned on the TV and it was in the standby mode. Every other morning that I’ve had it, it has been stuck in a reboot, or so it seems. Either it doesn’t show as connected at all, and then fires up and eventually gets going, or (more commonly) it shows the Hopper Starting Up… screen.

What I did was unhook my Olevia 242FHD-T11, and instead hooked up my LG tv (don’t have the model number handy) to it. I had changed a few other things the night before as well, so after a little while I swapped the TVs back out to see if that was the problem, and within minutes, the hopper was having the same rebooting problem. Before I left for work, I put the LG back in, and we’ll see what it looks like this afternoon, but at this point, I’m inclined to believe that the relationship between the hopper and the Olevia was causing my issues.

Anyone have any familiarity with this TV model? Are there any known compatibility issues? The menu options on the TV are pretty bare-bones, so I can’t really think of any settings I could try to play with to see if I can resolve the problem that way. The TV’s about 5 years old so if I had to get a new one, I wouldn’t be devastated, but I’d like to use it until it dies.

Mary from DIRT has been working with me, but if anyone has any other ideas, I’d be happy to hear them. Thanks!

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 24, 2006
hdmi issue?

i know someone in another thread had an issue with the HDMI CEC causing freezing/reboots on the hopper

pecochran

Apr 14, 2012
minnesota
It could be that. I did connect the LG with an HDMI as well though.

Do you think there would be a setting that could make a difference, or would I need to look into connecting via component, rather than HDMI? That would be kind of unfortunate.

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 24, 2006

Do you think there would be a setting that could make a difference, or would I need to look into connecting via component, rather than HDMI? That would be kind of unfortunate.
try connecting that Olevia back with component and see if your problems go away.

If they do, then it's a safe bet that the hopper and your olevia TV are having some sort of HDMI issue that needs to be resolved by Dish. If that does turn out to be the case, report it to DIRT.

Starting to sound like a lot of hopper issues are related to hdmi.

jimdandyvi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 19, 2010
Virgin Islands

The picture quality will be the same using either component or HDMI. Just neater to one cable instead of five.

pecochran

Apr 14, 2012
minnesota
Yeah, if things look good when I get home from work today on the LG, I will try using component instead of HDMI with the Olevia. Hopefully that will save the day. Thanks for the advice.

pecochran

Apr 14, 2012
minnesota
Encouraging news to report. I hooked the Olevia back up with component cables last night. Had three recordings that were late at night, and they all worked. Woke up this morning and the green light was on the receiver, which had me concerned, but when I turned on the TV, the hopper was in standby and started up right away. Maybe the light was on because the software updated overnight? I’m on S211 now.

Anyway, I am inclined to think the HDMI link between the Hopper and the Olevia was causing my problems, but I’ll repost here if I run into any other issues. As general advice for anyone with similar problems related to hopper reboots, I would consider replacing the HDMI connection for component cables.

Thanks for reading and advising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)