Hopper-Joey by Wireless

Cruise J.D.

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
South
I was reading the thread about the Joey working without coax. Am I reading things correctly that you can connect the Hopper to a wireless router, broadcast a wireless signal, and pick the signal up at the Joey using a wireless USB adapter? This has nothing to do with an Internet connection, correct? It would be like a private LAN?

I understand it is not officially supported, but wow, it opens up some great possibilities.

As long as the Hopper and the Joey are on the same network either wired or wireless with DHCP service (router), they will link over the network with the coax dis-connected and work normally.

If my "friend" has a neighbor who has a hopper connected to a wireless router, can my friend get a joey, put a wireless usb adapter on it, and work on his tv?

He is close enough to the neighbours router and know his pass code.

I'm thinking how much easier this will make it to set up a TV anywhere on my property, including outside. I've got plenty of power outlets, but few coax and no ethernet.

Just make sure you have an SNR of at least 25 on an 802.11g/n network and you should be good to go (unless using a lot of data on a G network, may need N.)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Here's a pic of a wireless PTP layer2 bridge using some Ubiquiti nanostation's.

Working like a champ this is awesome. I'll get more pics posted.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 289
Stargazer said:
Has anybody tried using a vpn type of connection with this?

You need like 10-15 Mbps so I doubt most people have that at their house.

But yes it will work of course not with a simple out a box configuration. :)

10-15 MB down or 10-15 upload? The sling works (well part of the time lol) so I figured this would work as well.
Part of what Sling does is negotiate with the client then re-compress and re-encode the image to fit the available bandwidth. Joey needs a big enough pipe to get the unaltered sat data stream from the Hopper. In practice, that is about 6-8mbs load, add in enough headroom to be safe and 10mbps is a fair number on what your ISP upload rate would need to be. For a LAN, 10mbps is nothing, but it is still rare for ISP upload rates to be even close to that. It's coming, but we (at least most of us) aren't there yet.

Stargazer said:
10-15 MB down or 10-15 upload? The sling works (well part of the time lol) so I figured this would work as well.

10-15 up from the hopper and 10-15 down from the Joey.

I went downtown last night and went on the roof 18 story bldg and then drove over to IN on a hill and had a successful 3.2 mile link was watching HD. Very cool that we have flexibility like at a lake house down to boat dock or on a horse farm etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts