Hopper & Joey out of sync

mirror the hopper with coax to the kitchen (SD) with no joey. I had similar problem with my 722 when passing thru a sound system (delayed audio) and the echo drives you nuts.

exactly... i'd do component to the main TV and then run a long HDMI cable to the other set. They'd be in sync.

The OP wants something the system wasn't designed for. If he wants synchronized watching in adjacent rooms he should just put another Hopper in there and not ask everyone else to pay for a revised, more expensive, system with tuners in Joeys.

(Or put Joeys in those rooms and the Hopper somewhere else.)

I didn't ask the question because I want synchronized watching in adjacent rooms I just happen to notice that they were out of sync because I can see a tv in an adjacent room. It's just not a sign of a well polished product, they should be in sync.

I didn't ask the question because I want synchronized watching in adjacent rooms I just happen to notice that they were out of sync because I can see a tv in an adjacent room. It's just not a sign of a well polished product, they should be in sync.

Why???? It's a very polished product for what it is designed to do. It is not designed for synchronized viewing.

Reactions: comp9

:rolleyes:

Reactions: comp9
Why???? It's a very polished product for what it is designed to do. It is not designed for synchronized viewing.

It's a small issue but it's the small things that seperate good from great.

You ever have many people at football party with several tvs being watched? Not being in sync then you may hear load cheers from another room a second or two before you see the play. It's a small thing but it's all about the small things because the big things will be correct.

It's a small issue but it's the small things that seperate good from great.

You ever have many people at football party with several tvs being watched? Not being in sync then you may hear load cheers from another room a second or two before you see the play. It's a small thing but it's all about the small things because the big things will be correct.

And you were given a way to sync them, for 1/4 of 1/2% who will ever want it. By the way the Joey can pause without affecting another Joey watching the same show, then what??

Last edited:
And you were given a way to sync them, for 1/4 of 1/2% who will ever want it. By the way the Joey can pause without affecting another Joey watching the same show, then what??

And even sharing with a splitter may not keep them completely in sync. I had two Vizio units off an HDMI splitter, not where they were both visible, but close enough to hear each other with the doors open and volume up, and they were always synced. I replaced one Vizio with an LG and now the two are about a 1/2 second off. Just differences in the TV's internal processors was enough to throw it off.

I have my living room tv and my computer room tv ,(directly behind the living room ),split by hdmi splitter. My a/v receiver has a delay function. I stood in the hallway between both rooms and listened and adjusted the delay function of the a/v receiver till I heard NO difference between the two rooms. It used to drive me crazy to listen to the difference between the two rooms before I did the adjustment.

Funny, very funny.. I could list a lot of issues, how ever small, to support the opposite of this statement! Just the fact of all the software updates already in a month!
IMO, this Hopper/Joey was NOT polished when it came out, period! Is it a good setup, I think so, and have had little issues myself after the 10 hour install, but just look
over the forums, not POLISHED at all, and it is a closed system too! It is not like a OS with a multiple set up possibilities! But to each his own...

Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the Hopper, it's the receiver I have been waiting for from Dish. I get HD on all five tvs and whole home DVR with plenty (6) of tuners, I have two Hoppers and 3 Joeys. I jumped on it as soon as it was available, the installer said that it was only the second one his company installed in the Baton Rouge area and I have no regrets. I was hoping that the sync issue was a simple adjustment or maybe something was wired wrong but I will let Dish support know about this.

Some of us just want our songs to be in sync! Cant tune to a music station and play it in all my rooms without singing the same line 4 times. The lag is insane.

Some of us just want our songs to be in sync! Cant tune to a music station and play it in all my rooms without singing the same line 4 times. The lag is insane.
If everything is on live, then it's not going to happen and I'm sure it's been explained but the signal goes to the Hooper first, then from there to the Joeys. It's not lag, it's physics.

If everything is on live, then it's not going to happen and I'm sure it's been explained but the signal goes to the Hooper first, then from there to the Joeys. It's not lag, it's physics.
A true Client/Server environment should be able to sync perfectly, BUT because the Hopper is both Client and Server sync will be much harder to achieve. The Hopper can display the native signal but in order to display a signal on a Joey the signal is processed for transmission (lag), transmitted (very, very, very tiny lag on the wire), then processed by the Joey for display (lag). I believe if the Hopper had a video delay function sync could be achieved and for the very small percentage of individuals who want it is it worth it.

Plus is the individual wanting sync using video or audio to judge sync as that will introduce another variable, audio has much slower travel time through the air and may have more processing time if an external sound device is used.

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)