Hopper not seeing External HD

skokie

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
calif
Title says it all. About 2 weeks ago my hopper stopped seeing my Seagate 3tb external hard drive. I took the drive and hooked it up to a known good pc and it came up fine. I did a reset of the hopper with the drive off and the cable to the usb port disconnected. Once the hopper came back up I plugged it back in and I did not get the you have connected a usb device pop up etc. However the sling and wireless adapter work fine.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks

True, but people also have USB-powered drives that work as well. As you say, YMMV. I suspect in the OP's case, this particular model isn't compatible. A different 3TB one can be though.
The OP said the Hopper stopped seeing the drive. Indicating that it did work for some time. If it's USB powered that could cause issues. Or the Hopper has a problem.

Title says it all. About 2 weeks ago my hopper stopped seeing my Seagate 3tb external hard drive. I took the drive and hooked it up to a known good pc and it came up fine. I did a reset of the hopper with the drive off and the cable to the usb port disconnected. Once the hopper came back up I plugged it back in and I did not get the you have connected a usb device pop up etc. However the sling and wireless adapter work fine.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks
Have you tried:
1. Turn Off EHD
2. Hard reboot Hopper
3. Turning EHD back on after Hopper boots back up?

Do you have another power cord for the ehd? I was able to revive 1 that would not be recognized. The ehd was showing pwr with original cord but it was a no go till the new cord.

Do you have another power cord for the ehd? I was able to revive 1 that would not be recognized. The ehd was showing pwr with original cord but it was a no go till the new cord.
Had the same problem years ago...bad "brick".

I had an external drive which I installed in an external enclosure. That enclosure (box) didn't provide enough power to start the drive spinning. Different box fixed the problem. I could get it spinning in the first box by giving it a sharp twist with power applied.
Since then I've stuck to the open Thermaltake BlackX boxes which always work.
Check to see if you can feel the drive spinning before you call dish for a new Hopper. I really don't think the Hopper is the problem, but hey, I've been wrong a couple times before in my long, long life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)