Hopper vs Hopper w/Sling Question

JFaber99

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Huntsville, AL
It’s time for me to upgrade and trying to make some last minute decisions. Currently I already have independent Sling Boxes. Are there any other advantages with going with the Hopper w/ Sling versus going with the previous Hopper? Same reliability, same glitches (if any)? Same fee/cost?

Also can we order 2 Hoppers, 1 Joey through DIRT yet? Or do I need to order 2/2 and have the installer take one Joey back.

It’s time for me to upgrade and trying to make some last minute decisions. Currently I already have independent Sling Boxes. Are there any other advantages with going with the Hopper w/ Sling versus going with the previous Hopper? Same reliability, same glitches (if any)? Same fee/cost?

Also can we order 2 Hoppers, 1 Joey through DIRT yet? Or do I need to order 2/2 and have the installer take one Joey back.

I think you would have to ask for the original hopper verses the HWS is the default box they send you. Personally I would go ahead and get the HWS if you have a choice. You would have to talk to a DIRT member or call to see what the upgrade pricing is. You can continue using the sling boxes on any box, but if you get the HWS you get a faster box and you have the Hopper Transfers app if you have an iPad or (in the future???) android tablet. That feature is SOOOO nice to use.

Wifi. More memory faster CPU newer chipset iPad transfer built in Sling = more future proofing.

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and got the two Hopper w/ Sling and two Joey setup installed Saturday and I couldn't be happier. My tv viewing just went to a whole new level. I really like how they integrated the Sling, but wish at some point the app will let you pick the tuner you want to watch/share. I left one Slingbox hooked up for when I'm in the middle of watching something recorded and need to sling briefly or for when I'm watching PPV fights and I let my brother or friends sling with my guest password setup.

I already have 2 hopper 2000s, & with fees increasing am considering replacing one with a HWS so I at least have some extra features for the additional $$. Sling adapter by itself is $50 so $100 for the HWS seems like a fair deal - opinions?

If you have the dish vip722k dual dvr you should have 1 vip722k dual DVR and 1 vip922k solo.
If you have the hopper system with 3-4 different rooms you should have 2 dish hoppers, and 1-2 dish Joeys for more storage and the joeys i have been told that you cant pause, skip, rewind, etc. because there standard receivers not DVR's

If you have the dish vip722k dual dvr you should have 1 vip722k dual DVR and 1 vip922k solo.
If you have the hopper system with 3-4 different rooms you should have 2 dish hoppers, and 1-2 dish Joeys for more storage and the joeys i have been told that you cant pause, skip, rewind, etc. because there standard receivers not DVR's

All storage is on the Hopper. Joey is just a client. You most certainly CAN do trick plays such as skip, pause, etc on the Joey as well as the Hopper. It is the DirecTV non-DVR clients that will not allow you to do trick plays.

Think of the Joey as a thin client, or as a terminal to a main frame. You can do anything at the Joey that you can at the Hopper, because almost all the work is done at the Hopper. Well, no PiP at the Joey, and maybe another minor lack that escapes me at the moment. But the Joey is almost identical to the Hopper for viewing, and is smaller and quieter since it has no fan.

And it's not how many rooms, or even TVs, that should drive your decisions on how many Hoppers, how many Joeys. It's how many programs will be viewed independently at any given time, and how many simultaneous recordings you might make.

And I don't understand your first sentence. The ViP922 is a dual not a solo. Did you mean ViP211K?

I would go with the upgrade to at lease one HWS. I certainly would not consider dropping back from a multi-Hopper system to a ViP system, especially a ViP922.

Last edited:
All storage is on the Hopper. Joey is just a client. You most certainly CAN do trick plays such as skip, pause, etc on the Joey as well as the Hopper. It is the DirecTV non-DVR clients that will not allow you to do trick plays.

Think of the Joey as a thin client, or as a terminal to a main frame. You can do anything at the Joey that you can at the Hopper, because almost all the work is done at the Hopper. Well, no PiP at the Joey, and maybe another minor lack that escapes me at the moment. But the Joey is almost identical to the Hopper for viewing, and is smaller and quieter since it has no fan.

And it's not how many rooms, or even TVs, that should drive your decisions on how many Hoppers, how many Joeys. It's how many programs will be viewed independently at any given time, and how many simultaneous recordings you might make.

Bluetooth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)