Hopper wiring ??

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
I have my install tomorrow of 2 hoppers and 1 joey. I have been with dish a long time and have multiple runs of coax thru out my house, some in the attic, My question is do the hoppers and joey both require a new run of cable other than what I have already?

The Hoppers probably will need new cabling - they need cable and connectors rated at 3GHz.

The Joeys should be able to use any type of RG-59 or RG-6 coax cable.

I used existing coax which had been installed, some by the electrician when the house was built and some by me few years later. None has a rating listed on it but all worked fine with my Hopper installation. All RG6 of course.
If any in your house is RG59, it won't work with any Hopper but will work for Joeys but I would replace any RG59 anyway.

It's too bad there isn't an easy way to know how 'good' the RG6 is, test equipment extremely costly so out of the question.

If you cable is much older than ten years, it may be questionable but may work. Any barrel connectors should be replaced with ones with colored insides. (Don't know how to spell insulators!)

If you really do have questionable cable, you might want to be ready to pull new cable through the attic as the installers probably won't go there. (My attic is a real pain to navigate)

I have my install tomorrow of 2 hoppers and 1 joey. I have been with dish a long time and have multiple runs of coax thru out my house, some in the attic, My question is do the hoppers and joey both require a new run of cable other than what I have already?

I had been with Dish 11 years before I got a Hopper. Did NOT need to rewire.

The main thing that matters is that it's RG6 and the barrels and connectors are 3GHz rated and properly installed.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)