Hopper3/sling internet connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jdebos

jdebos
Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
phoenix AZ
For many years whenever I was through using the internet, I disconnected it for security reasons. I now have a Hopper3/sling installed. Is it still possible to disconnect the internet when I am not using the computer or watching TV, and then plug it back in when needed. Will this cause any issues with the Hopper?

For many years whenever I was through using the internet, I disconnected it for security reasons. I now have a Hopper3/sling installed. Is it still possible to disconnect the internet when I am not using the computer or watching TV, and then plug it back in when needed. Will this cause any issues with the Hopper?
From Dish's perspective, it stops the handshake between Hopper and Dish that they use (other than possible nefarious reasons) to monitor Set Top Box Health. Also, if a tech installed it and in 12 days when Dish pings the receiver, if it's not connected, he takes a hit on that metric. Not sure which security reasons you might be worried about unless you're worried someone will steal your recordings of Undercover Boss

There should be no issue with viewing your main channels if you disconnect the Internet from the Hopper. The Hopper uses the Internet connection to send us the net health of your receiver. This helps us in case there are any technical issues, it would help us pinpoint the root cause. Additionally, you would not have access to On Demand features that require Internet, and other apps like: YouTube, Netflix, Pandora, etc.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What security reasons were there? Dish knows everything you do on that Hopper including what programs you watch and what buttons you push on the remote.:biggrin

My concerns are that if the internet is left 'on' hackers may gain access to my computer and steal personal info. To combat this concern, I simply unplug it! If I left it on simply to satisfy Dish Hopper -- no more security.

My concerns are that if the internet is left 'on' hackers may gain access to my computer and steal personal info. To combat this concern, I simply unplug it! If I left it on simply to satisfy Dish Hopper -- no more security.
Not being argumentative, you have a good reason to worry, but why not just turn off your computer?