Hopperless and Happy

papato6

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Kansas
I've been thinking of downgrading to the Hopper, but don't want to lose my 722. My current setup is the 722 on the main (only) TV in the house with the 211/EHD in the RV. I want to relocate the 211 to the main TV as well and use it to record shows that only I watch, and use the 722 for the shows both my wife and I watch together. Hook up will be no problem, I'll use one of the free HDMI inputs on the TV. That gives me a total of 5 tuners (both receivers have OTA). But I have a couple of questions.

1) Is there a way to use one remote for both receivers? Say use SAT setting for one and AUX setting for the other.

2) If I have to use two remotes, how do you keep the remotes from interfering with each other?

1. yes
2. use different remote addresses

To change remote address
1. bring up system info screen on receiver you want to change
2. on remote press and hold down the "sat" button til all 4 lights blink. Let go
3. press the number for the new remote address (like 9 as example)
4. press # key. "Sat" button blinks 3 times
5. press record button. On the system info screen the remote address number changes to what you want it for

To use both on same remote I'm sure you have to change the address on one but I'll let someone else explain that. I never had 2 receivers in same room with same remote (well dish wise)

I've been thinking of downgrading to the Hopper, but don't want to lose my 722. My current setup is the 722 on the main (only) TV in the house with the 211/EHD in the RV. I want to relocate the 211 to the main TV as well and use it to record shows that only I watch, and use the 722 for the shows both my wife and I watch together. Hook up will be no problem, I'll use one of the free HDMI inputs on the TV. That gives me a total of 5 tuners (both receivers have OTA). But I have a couple of questions.

1) Is there a way to use one remote for both receivers? Say use SAT setting for one and AUX setting for the other.

2) If I have to use two remotes, how do you keep the remotes from interfering with each other?

Go to the link below, Look under the row on the right titled "remote controls". Click on " two way remote control model 21.0". Scroll to page 7, and it walk you through programming it to a second receiver in aux mode.

http://www.mydish.com/support/manuals

Curious as to why you think the Hopper would be a downgrade from what you have.

What do you record the most of and what channels. Does dish offer locals in your area in hd?

Not saying in your situation that the 722 might not be equal. Just curious.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for all the help. I'll try to find the time to hook up everything this weekend. I have a 5.3 remote and hope that the 5.4 remote manual will work for me.
The downgrade comment was an attempt at humor. I'm sure the Hopper is a fine receiver and friends of mine that have it love theirs. But, for me the lack of an OTA tuner is still a deal breaker. That and the fact that I can't have 2 Hoppers. No use for a joey with only one TV in the house and joey useless in the RV. (Before you jump on the ways to get around the system and have 2 Hoppers and no joeys, I've read all about how to do that.) I might revisit the subject of getting a Hopper someday, after they include an OTA tuner. All the locals in the area are in HD, including the independent stations and ION, plus the sub channels of which I occasionally record.

After all is said and done it's the OTA you want. I agree, but you can have two hoppers right now.

On the subject of a OTA tuner, when I got my 922 last year, I just took out the OTA tuner from my 622 and put it in my 922. Works fine.

To avoid anyone else getting confused, on the 622 & 722 (I've got one of each), the OTA is built in. Only for the 722K is the OTA a removable module.

On the ViP models, the OTA module is an add-on you slide into an expansion bay. I had one in my 722 that a moved to a 922 when I got that. The unreleased OTA module for the Hopper is going to be USB based.

Not completely true. The non-K VIPs 211, 222, 612, 622, 722 as well as the 211k have OTA built in, no module.

I assume that's why garys was questioning taking the module from a 622, since it doesn't have one. I just assume themanager meant a 722k.

If it was taken from a 622, I wonder what had to be done to get it to work, how long it took and what Dish is going to say if the 622 was leased.

That would involve solder and a Dremel tool. ;)

The OTA comes in as NTSC (analog and not recordable as there is no digitizer) or ATSC (digital).
The distribution output is NTSC amplified so that it can feed multiple sets through splitters.
It does not need more amps unless you are going through many combiners and sets or long runs.
Always amplify early in the runs.
-Ken

Wrong Bobby, I don't know about Hopper but the 722 only outputs NTSC, not ATSC.
The 722 was the question. AFAIK, no home device outputs ATSC--too many variations?
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)