Horrible Service Call from Dish

thompsdw2

Original poster
Feb 1, 2023
Mountain West
I had a Hopper 3 that was in the dreaded reboot cycle. The home has a 2 hopper 3 system with mostly wired Joey's and 2 wireless Joey's. Dish sent out a new receiver and after 4 unsuccessful attempts to activate (I had about 8 hours in all these tries), they had to send out a tech. He was scheduled for 1 hour, but was there for 6 hours. The receiver was hanging up on the second software activation. He was able to bypass that and then decided that the LNB was wrong, changed that. Everything seemed to work pretty good after that but I have 2 wireless Joey's that he could not get to talk to the Hopper. He changed the DPH42 to a duo Hub and then things started going south. In my opinion, he was changing too much too quick - versus trying to find the real problem. Basically told me at the end of 6 hours that he had to go the next job and left me with no TV signal. Perfect! Then Dish couldn't send anyone else out until Friday (even after I complained to a supervisor), so I am trying to get some functionality for my 85 year old TV addicted mother myself. LOL.

I check over the LNB that he changed after he left and there were a total of 3 coax connections. Only 2 of the sat cables were connected and interestingly now I can only grab 2 satellites now versus the previous 3. I traced the wires from the LNB to the DPH42 and got everything into the right ports. The solo hubs looked to be wired right. I made him revert the panel wiring to the previous installation and remove the duo hub and put back the DPH42. He connected the 3rd wire from the dish to the DPH42 (but remember, it wasn't connected at the dish because I don't think there was anything to connect to, would need a 4 port LNB?). The 3rd port is for a different use. It did have a termination plug on the RG6. I started getting signal after running a system test on the two systems; however, NO HD channels. I called Dish and they said - you have an appointment scheduled so we cannot help you.

OMG - not looking for a dish rant here (it was quite the day), but I am struggling to understand how I could loose HD channels on both Hopper systems after what he did. That is right, the Hopper system he wasn't working on also lost HD channels. So I would think it has to be something with the LNB or panel wiring???? I did hunt around the settings to make sure HD channels were displayed to no success. I made him leave the old box and I wish I would have told him to leave the old LNB. Any tips or ideas to restore HD channels?????

• Wow
Reactions: charlesrshell
but I am struggling to understand how I could loose HD channels on both Hopper systems after what he did.
If you are on a WA system (110/119/129) it is posible he replaced your LNB for a DPH (hybrid) LNB used in single Hopper installations. This LNB has the drawback of only serving two satellites in conjunction of a DPH42, it only serves 110/119 when connected to one. If you don’t have the original DPP LNB (which can serve all three satellites) one option would be to bypass the DPH42 and connect directly to the LNB again, you would get satellite 129 but be limited to one Hopper.

One thing I’ll mention is that the Duo versus Solo hub has nothing to do with your problem, as a matter of fact my dual H3 setup involves a Duo Hub and DPH42, other users here have reported individual Solo Hubs working as well. Your issue right now is a DPH LNB being used on a DPH42, whatever the problem was before only your clueless technician knows. My guess is that the technician you got has not interacted with or was ill advised on how dual Hopper setups work, a single LNB would never be capable of running dual Hopper 3’s and Dish’s own rules is to use a DPP LNB when a DPH42 is involved, not a DPH LNB.

I am also solely suspicious of the LNB. Is there anyway that can impact the HD channels on a double Hopper 3 system? I wouldn't think so????? I am just going to have to wait on the other tech for the new LNB replacement.

I am also solely suspicious of the LNB. Is there anyway that can impact the HD channels on a double Hopper 3 system? I wouldn't think so?????
If my hunch about you getting a DPH LNB installed is correct, then it is definitely the cause. As I mentioned earlier, if a DPH LNB is installed alongside a DPH42 switch, only satellites 110/119 are available. The third, 129, holds the majority of Dish's HD channels. If you would like to perform a sanity check, try tuning channel 105 (USA Network). This channel has been broadcasting in HD on satellite 119 for as long as I can remember, so if you are able to get it in HD then your problem is definitely having 129 missing.

Thank you so much. I really want to be educated before the next guys shows up. Who knows, right?
If my hunch about you getting a DPH LNB installed is correct, then it is definitely the cause. As I mentioned earlier, if a DPH LNB is installed alongside a DPH42 switch, only satellites 110/119 are available. The third, 129, holds the majority of Dish's HD channels. If you would like to perform a sanity check, try tuning channel 105 (USA Network). This channel has been broadcasting in HD on satellite 119 for as long as I can remember, so if you are able to get it in HD then your problem is definitely having 129 missing.
105 is there in high definition. Sounds like you nailed it! Only have 119 and 110.

I though Dish only allows 1 H3 to be connected per account???

Okay do you have 2 x H3, and 2 wifi Joey's I assume they both use that same access point? So any dish connection to that is irrelevant if the Hopper doesn't work neither will the WAP. Or the Joey's , after a few hours I would've just had tbe 1 H3 and Joey's in tbe one dish and put up another dish for 2nd H3 all with Hybryd LNB's
Im not a Dish tech so I don't know what the policies of Dish are for that, anyhow the box tbat has issues activating i would just connect to a hybryd lnb with single cable directly to box get it activated and all. Then later start messing around with switches etc.. My 2c anyhow

Your tech was obviously not trained on how to set this up correctly and too naive to call anyone that could help him, like a manager, etc, so he guessed and he guessed wrong.
I also concur he put a Hybrid LNBF in place of the DPP, removed the 42 switch for the Duo Hub since that works with dual Hopper 1 and 2's but the Hopper 3, as you are seeing, does not work that way

I though Dish only allows 1 H3 to be connected per account???

Okay do you have 2 x H3, and 2 wifi Joey's I assume they both use that same access point? So any dish connection to that is irrelevant if the Hopper doesn't work neither will the WAP. Or the Joey's , after a few hours I would've just had tbe 1 H3 and Joey's in tbe one dish and put up another dish for 2nd H3 all with Hybryd LNB's
Im not a Dish tech so I don't know what the policies of Dish are for that, anyhow the box tbat has issues activating i would just connect to a hybryd lnb with single cable directly to box get it activated and all. Then later start messing around with switches etc.. My 2c anyhow
There are 2 x H3's. Both the wifi Joey's are on the same H3. As I recall, I did purchase the second H3.

Your tech was obviously not trained on how to set this up correctly and too naive to call anyone that could help him, like a manager, etc, so he guessed and he guessed wrong.
I also concur he put a Hybrid LNBF in place of the DPP, removed the 42 switch for the Duo Hub since that works with dual Hopper 1 and 2's but the Hopper 3, as you are seeing, does not work that way

I kept asking him "Isn't there someone you can call for help?", but he didn't seem to want to or maybe who to call. He was very worried about the fact that he was not going to achieve the required number of appointments that he was scheduled for. I should have stopped him earlier, but I was trying to work from home as well. It was apparent when he didn't know and just started changing things at random to see if it would work.

Got it. I at least know what has to happen now and I can watch closely.