Hot Grounding issues for Dish

Doctor Bob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
Riverside, California
Here is an article that came out of Mike Holt's Site ( www.mikeholt.com )!!! It seems like someone is actually paying attention!!!

State Warns Of Faulty Satellite TV Installations

The largest Dish Network affiliate in the Midwest has agreed to inspect 6,700 systems installed between Rochester and St. Cloud -- including the Twin Cities -- for improper installation that may be a safety risk.

The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry said Tuesday that Dish Network and Galaxy 1 Marketing of Bettendorf, Iowa, were cooperating after a random sampling of 100 installations showed 80 didn't meet the state's electrical code. The department said the improper installations increase the risk of lightning blowing out electronic gear, starting a fire or injuring people.

Officials said the systems were installed for Dish Network in 2004 and 2005. Labor and Industry spokesman James Honerman said no injuries or fires have been tied to the improperly installed systems. Faulty grounding was the most common problem, he said.

The inspections and necessary corrections will be done without cost to consumers. Honerman said the risk exists even if the satellite TV systems aren't being used.

Article from the Associated Press of St. Paul.

Mike Holt’s Comment: I am actually surprised that 20% of the installations were NEC compliant and I applaud the State of Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry for their efforts. We can expect about the same NEC compliance (less than 20%) nationwide, and we can expect that same rate of compliance (less than 20%) for cable television (CATV) industry. To the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry, please do a sample on the grounding practices of CATV industry, this might open your eyes even further. I hope that other states would consider this issue as well.

While grounding IS very, very important, the NEC rules on it are ridiculous.

Some very safe installs are going to be gigged over this, just because the NEC is pretty clueless about the purpose and methods of low-voltage grounding.

We've had this discussion here many, many times before. Instead of starting it all over again, people should go find the other threads.

SimpleSimon said:
While grounding IS very, very important, the NEC rules on it are ridiculous.

Some very safe installs are going to be gigged over this, just because the NEC is pretty clueless about the purpose and methods of low-voltage grounding.

We've had this discussion here many, many times before. Instead of starting it all over again, people should go find the other threads.

That is why "ALL" installation instructions state that the Installation Technician must follow the NEC and or their "LOCAL" Code!!! Don't blame things on the NEC, when in fact the Local Authority has president over them. The NEC is only the guideline, and is not "A LAW"... The Local Authority is the Law, and they set the standard.

Doctor Bob said:
That is why "ALL" installation instructions state that the Installation Technician must follow the NEC and or their "LOCAL" Code!!! Don't blame things on the NEC, when in fact the Local Authority has president over them. The NEC is only the guideline, and is not "A LAW"... The Local Authority is the Law, and they set the standard.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Bob. ALL of my installs comply with the NEC. The NEC is for safety and insurance requirements, and if it is required in your state and locality, It's the LAW!

If you are REQUIRED to comply with local law, you must, or subject yourself to financial liability.

if it is required in your state and locality, It's the LAW!
And I've never heard of a locality that did NOT quote the NEC as being the LAW.

Local additions to the regs exist, but AFAIK, they are always more obtrusive. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts