Hot Pixel on NFL Network Camera?

yardline

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
I've noticed that on the NFL Network games, they have a field level camera that has a hot pixel on it, in the top left quadrant. You only see if they switch to that camera, usually between plays. Here's a screen grab. How cheap are these guys? Of course what would you expect from a "network" that can't spare a few extra bucks for the halftime show to have HD cameras?

Attachments

• hot_pixel.jpg
    hot_pixel.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 337
Of course what would you expect from a "network" that can't spare a few extra bucks for the halftime show to have HD cameras?
Word.

NFL Network is a joke. The NFL just built out their network a couple of years ago and didn't have the foresight to equip it for HD from the get-go. HD programming on the NFL Network is like water in the desert. What they should have done is remastered their amazing NFL Films film library and show those in HD. John Facenda's voice and all that awesome historical NFL footage would be fantastic.

To make matters worse, their highlight shows are terrible. I like Rich Eisen, but he's collecting a check. Took the payday. No mojo. Bryant Gumbel's best days are well behind him, and have never been in the booth to begin with. He's moribund, rarely insightful and thoroughly boring.

Overall, a pathetic attempt from a league that prides itself on performance and professionalism. Very weak indeed.

Joke is right. Did you guys catch coach Vermiels attempt at commentary on Dallas vs Atlanta's game? Man, I think one of the camera men might have done a better job.Bringing Dion helped a little. And Gumble just plain sucks.

Joke is right. Did you guys catch coach Vermiels attempt at commentary on Dallas vs Atlanta's game? Man, I think one of the camera men might have done a better job.Bringing Dion helped a little. And Gumble just plain sucks.

The NFL network comes across as a second rate, low budget operation, they have a long way to go to catch up with the big boys.

Bob

Falcons vs Cowboys

I worked on the game last night as a video op for the pre and post game.Got home at 3:30 am.We started setting up for the game on Thursday morning.lots of work went into that production.Also,alot of money.They treated us well with plenty of catered meals and snacks.They are going through growing pains just like every new network does.I worked Fox games as the main video op. in their early years and went through the same issues. The game truck last night was a Game Creek truck.I believe some of the cameras were rentals.(they had 23,I think)Stuck pixels happen.You can count on at least one camera on every truck to have a camera with some stuck pixels.You can't blame NFL Network for that.My truck for the pre and post game show(a NEP digital SD truck) had a camera with several stuck pixels.It has been my expiereance that it happens more on Sony cameras then others.
Btw,I can't stand Gumball either.He's a pompous ass. Ditto for Neon Dieon.:hatsoff:

NFL Network does not own the cameras or the production equipment, just as ABC, NBC, FOX and ESPN do not own the equipment, it is all contracted from private HD suppliers.

Somebody get Gumble a voice transplant.

NFL Network does not own the cameras or the production equipment, just as ABC, NBC, FOX and ESPN do not own the equipment, it is all contracted from private HD suppliers.

Somebody get Gumble a voice transplant.

They are not "HD suppliers".They are remote television production companies.To name a few: NMT,NEP, MTVG,GameCreek,Crosscreek,F&F,Jefferson Pilot (now Lincoln Finacial Sports),Turner Broadcasting,etc,etc.Some trucks are HD,some SD Digital,some SD.

That's the term I was searching for! I read an article about their HD production trucks about a year ago. Millions of dollars on wheels.

Thanks.

I saw the same stuck pixels last week also on an NFL game, but can't remember if it was on NFL Network. There was another camera last night also with a stuck pixel on the middle right side also. I only notice because I though it was my LCD when switched channels it was gone. NFL Network HD PQ only look great on slow pan and still shot, but once close to the fast action :down

I Want One!!

Well,you can have one! Providing you have 8 to 12 million dollars lying around doing nothing.Or you got really good credit and get a loan.You would also need to be trained just to park and power it and open up the expando.I won't even get into how much you need to know to work on the inside.You would need to hire a driver ,at least one EIC (engineer in charge ) and a good maintenance engineer.
That's why it makes me laugh when some people call certain productions "low budget". HA! They couldn't hire this truck and crew for one day on their income for a year!

I've noticed that on the NFL Network games, they have a field level camera that has a hot pixel on it, in the top left quadrant. You only see if they switch to that camera, usually between plays. Here's a screen grab. How cheap are these guys? Of course what would you expect from a "network" that can't spare a few extra bucks for the halftime show to have HD cameras?
I saw it too.

Ok, so I'll bite. Mr Cameraman, you are basically defending the equipment used and all. So why is the quality so crappy compared to others? An ignorant person who is simply a viewer may refer to what we are seeing as "low budget" because it is not what we consider "on par" with others.

If you was the head of the NFL Network, what would you recommend the first step be to get it up to speed with the other broadcasts....the ideal being CBS?
Educate me.

Ok, so I'll bite. Mr Cameraman, you are basically defending the equipment used and all. So why is the quality so crappy compared to others? An ignorant person who is simply a viewer may refer to what we are seeing as "low budget" because it is not what we consider "on par" with others.

If you was the head of the NFL Network, what would you recommend the first step be to get it up to speed with the other broadcasts....the ideal being CBS?
Educate me.

First of all,I'm not a camera operator.I'm a video engineer.Second,we are talking about a stuck pixil in one camera.I've seen stuck pixels on CBS,FOX,NBC, etc,etc.. Like I said,the NFL Network is what it is right now.They are going through growing pains.As far as quality,I don't know if you are referring to video quality or the quality of the production as a whole.As for the video quality,it was first rate leaving the truck.After that,whatever compression is used by satilite or cable providers is not our problem.That has a direct effect on the video quality you see on your set.(micro blocking,pixilation) As for the production quality,ie, the talent,graphics,the overall look,that's not my concern.That's the producer and directors and the guys above thems job. Hope this clears up some things for you.

Last edited:
HD cameras can have stuck pixels just like any CCD non-hd camera. And there is always someway for service (maintenance) to re-map these to cover them up. Nothing the operators or on-site tech's can handle, but something that should be back at the shop. It should not go on week after week. This is usually remapped as, even on a cheap ENG camera, the CCD assembly costs almost as much as the camera, minus the lens.

HD cameras can have stuck pixels just like any CCD non-hd camera. And there is always someway for service (maintenance) to re-map these to cover them up. Nothing the operators or on-site tech's can handle, but something that should be back at the shop. It should not go on week after week. This is usually remapped as, even on a cheap ENG camera, the CCD assembly costs almost as much as the camera, minus the lens.

You are mostly correct.With the Sony's, if I run it through 5 or 6 black balances,sometimes that will fix a stuck pixil.If that doesn't work,I'll show it to the EIC so he's aware of it.That's all I can do.So many of these trucks rarely see the shop.They are that busy.And yes,sending it back to the manufacturer or replaceing the optical block or ccd is big bucks.