Hot receiver !!

bigticket

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I have a Vip211k with external hard drive. It's been about 10 months old since I had it.

These days it's getting real too hot just for an hour use. I fear it might burn out my cables behind. Any ideas on how to keep it not so hot ??

If this just started happening, give Dish a call and get it replaced.

Yes, it just started to happen. Will they replace for free ?? I have this receiver leased out.

Update: Just called dish and they are sending a replacement receiver (2nd day air), all for free :).

Last edited:
Thus the main benefit of leasing the equipment! If you are new Dish customer, like you just signed up for a two year committment, then you also have the 6 month free equipment protection plan...they charge 5.99 per month after the 6 months are up, but it is still worth it as it covers all Dish leased equipment in your house, and the dish I believe.

Thus the main benefit of leasing the equipment! If you are new Dish customer, like you just signed up for a two year committment, then you also have the 6 month free equipment protection plan...they charge 5.99 per month after the 6 months are up, but it is still worth it as it covers all Dish leased equipment in your house, and the dish I believe.

The equipment is leased but I am dish customer for 11 yrs. I am not under any contract. The equipment is leased for free (may be dishn't up promo). Also when I moved this time to a home from an apartment they gave dish movers free for me. No 24 month commitment required.

Guess that's an advantage being a long time customer.

Not worth it at all. You're paying $6 a month or $54 a year. I don't know offhand what it costs to ship a receiver but I think it's something like $30. Unless you are replacing equipment that often, it's not worth it.

Plus you can just call and add it to your account, then call back with a problem and use it. Then remove it the next month.

Not worth it at all. You're paying $6 a month or $54 a year. I don't know offhand what it costs to ship a receiver but I think it's something like $30. Unless you are replacing equipment that often, it's not worth it.

Plus you can just call and add it to your account, then call back with a problem and use it. Then remove it the next month.

A pattern of that will get your account locked and good luck getting that off. Also, you don't have to call once, they use it. You can be on the phone with a TSR/CSR and add it WHILE ON THE PHONE with that person after t/s'ing and add the DHPP to the account. The tsr's are trained to offer it in any instance where you don't have it in order to save you money. You don't have to be slick.

It's part of your DHPP free advanced exchange repair, SC's for 29$ and parts etc; covered.

If the new receiver is also doing this, unplug the receiver make sure it gets good air flow, take out the coax from sat in and plug it back in once it's cooled down. Could've been a grounding issue that went undetected because they didn't have you try this scenario before blindly replacing the receiver.

The great part about these forums are the good ideas that come across and the amount of dedicated people involved in finding bugs. The bad part about this forum is trying to teach people how to circumvent the system and getting their accounts put into a status they will have a difficult time removing.

Better than that: DHHP covers ALL Dish Network equipment. Just as long as your system has all Dish Network labeled or approved parts, the entire system including all Dish Network boxes are covered, even owned equipment. They had to swap-out my owned 721 twice, and at absolutely no charge and the 721 remained as an owned STB.

Don't forget, Dish now charges if they have to send a tech out to your home, so the one year cost MORE than pays for it. A tech visit with DHPP is about $22. Now, factor in the saved cost of replacing bad LNBF's or switches, then it really more than more than pays for itself. One could be lucky and not have problems for 10 years. However, all insurance really is a rip-off as the odds are that you won't need it nor will the cost justify it. However, consumers often buy many types of insurance because there is the low chance, that small risk, you will get nailed. That's how it works and why insurance companies are the wealthiest entities, with 2 sets of books allowed under the law. I would say that if someone has only 1 STB, then the "not worth the cost" argument is strong, but if someone has several STB's, and the more complex system, then I would say get DHPP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts