Hours of reading - still confused: hybrid to 1000.4 EA in VT

ajm7

Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Vermont
I read a few hours of posts here and abroad ... but now I've got a few specifics:

I have a SD setup in VT with Burlington locals - 110/119 w/a 61.5 (a while ago there were extra PPVs there I believe) going through a DP34 to a 625 and two 311s.

I'm going HD for the main TV and staying SD for the others ... and I may be adding one.

Here's what I'd like confirmation on:
The 1000.4 is DPP and I believe that I can feed a 922 (replacing the 625) via a DPP splitter taking one feed while feeding both tuners, then use the other two feeds for two 211s that will replace the 311s - yes?

Then, if I add another TV - either HD or SD ... I still need a feed ... am I using a DPP44 at this point (is there a less expensive way to design this?) - feeding it the three lines from the 1000.4 and distributing from there (as I am now with my hybrid and DP34?)

Will I get everything I am paying for with the 1000.4 EA with BTV locals? I assume the 211s talk down to SD?

And the opinion question ... am I asking for trouble with the 922? Is it really 1080i vs. 1080p?

Thanks!

If you go with a EA dish (1000.4) you need to have all VIP receivers which the 211 & 922 would cover. All the existing equipment wouldnt work

Yes the EA dish has all the locals. Big 4 in HD the rest in SD

The 1000.4 is DPP and I believe that I can feed a 922 (replacing the 625) via a DPP splitter taking one feed while feeding both tuners, then use the other two feeds for two 211s that will replace the 311s - yes?
correct.

Then, if I add another TV - either HD or SD ... I still need a feed ... am I using a DPP44 at this point (is there a less expensive way to design this?) - feeding it the three lines from the 1000.4 and distributing from there (as I am now with my hybrid and DP34?)
you would need the DPP44+
You cannot use a DP34 with the EA dish setup

I assume the 211s talk down to SD?
yes

Thanks Iceberg for your quick reply. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Would it blow Dish's mind if I were to keep the 110/119 setup for the 311s while adding the 1000.4 for the 922 until I get around to updating the 311s to the 211s?

If you upgrade they should do a complete WHU (Whole Home Upgrade) so I would worry about keeping the 311. Do it all at once or it might cost you $$$ in the long run if you wait.

Thanks Iceberg for your quick reply. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Would it blow Dish's mind if I were to keep the 110/119 setup for the 311s while adding the 1000.4 for the 922 until I get around to updating the 311s to the 211s?

nah. There are a few folks out there like that :)

Agree with the others including the whole home upgrade (if Dish will spring for it). If you do it piecemeal, you'll probably have to buy the 211's yourself. Dish really doesn't want to leave us with our old D500 in an Eastern Arc DMA. About 9 months ago, I upgraded from hybrid to EA, and I got into an argument with my installer who wanted to pull down both antennas. I wanted to keep my D500 for the SD receivers I have in a closet. One saving grace for me was that I had my D500 mounted and stayed on a 5' mast with a Winegard batwing OTA antenna on the same mast. So I got to keep it. ;) Anyhow, you won't really need that old D500 if you do the whole home upgrade.

A couple of points the others didn't mention. The 922 is now a Duo receiver. It's unclear from the above that you knew that and intended to use the TV2 independently of TV1. This might obviate the need for a 4th receiver.

It's also possible to play games with 2 DishPro coax cables feeding a Duo and 2 Solo receivers, leaving the 3rd output to go to a 4th receiver. Some installers don't know how to do that, or it may be difficult or impossible at your location. If possible, it's vastly cheaper than a DPP44. On the other hand, if you buy a 4th receiver now, you might get the DPP44 for free along with your whole house upgrade.

I use the 625 with one TV and plan to do the same with the 922 - just an easy way to record two shows while watching a recorded show. I'm old school - a receiver next to each TV. I own my equipment and intend to own the replacements as well. I'm just too OCD when it comes to installation and HAVE to do it myself.

Now I need to find a deal on the 922, pick up a 1000.4 and get that part going. Then as time and money allows, pickup a couple 211s and start taking down the legacy stuff and figure out what closet the old receivers will live in!

What about the OTA module for the 922? Haven't investigated that other than to know it exists. I get that it will allow me to tune my locals with the 922, but does it allow me to record them as well? Seems like an obvious answer, but I'd like to know for sure before I lay down the cash!

@TheKrell - Do I understand that I can take one of the feeds and split it between the two 211s just as I plan to with the 922 duo? That would be very cool and give me the spare I desire w/o having to swallow a DPP44+ purchase. Is that what you are suggesting?

Thanks all.

OK, but you are talking Big Bucks for this upgrade. Agree on reasons for doing the install yourself. You can indeed record OTA broadcasts just like satellite programs. The module, having two ATSC tuners, allows two more recordings for a total of 4 at once.

The games you play with 2 DPP antenna coaxes are as follows. Coax 1 goes to separator 1. Coax 2 goes to separator 2. Output 2 on both separators go to the two tuner inputs on your Duo receiver. The two output 1's on the separators go to two Solo receivers.

Outstanding! Thank you all for your time in validating/tweaking the plan ... off to find who has the best deals, then outside to point a(nother) dish!

Get a 222 instead of a 211 to take care of the standard tv. I wouldn't suggest trying to split a sat feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)