How can Dish go up on their prices during someone's commitment?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I upgraded my equipment in Fall.of 2013.

A few months ago I get a letter stating that they are going up on my bill.

I called and was told that prices are only locked for the initial commitment; since my new commitment was for an equipment upgrade, I would have an increase.

I then ask , "So, you can charge me whatever you want and I am still in a commitment?" She said, "Yes"

I thought a company could not go up.on prices during a commitment of any kind?

Unfortunately, it's part the customer agreement we have to sign:

We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming,
programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming,
programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to
which you have agreed.

http://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/residential-agreement.pdf

I'm not defending Dish - personally I think they should honor a price for a contract term. Dish can do this because you agreed to it in your contract.

It's the same way with both services. I personally think the "exchange of value" requirements of a valid contract is pretty heavily weighted in the provider's direction because they can add or cancel services at their discretion and the user is stuck until out of contract but that's what we sign onto.

I believe it's the same with every pay TV provider. They only way to avoid it is when a provider guarantees a price for a certain amount of time. Generally a new customer is guaranteed their promotional price but once that is over the programming and prices are subject to change at any time. Dish has it stated in the contract you signed and you can find it on their website. That's just the way this business works.

I believe it's the same with every pay TV provider. They only way to avoid it is when a provider guarantees a price for a certain amount of time. Generally a new customer is guaranteed their promotional price but once that is over the programming and prices are subject to change at any time. Dish has it stated in the contract you signed and you can find it on their website. That's just the way this business works.

I think the key difference is most cable providers do not require a term agreement. Most are month to month.

I think it was the Top 120 DISH guaranteed no price increase for 2 years and they honored that price but during that price freeze they jumped the fees so our pockets were still emptier.

I don't think the correct answer has been given. It isn't really the language in the contract if the deal were structured in a different way it could override the general contract.
The deal is NOT the package at a certain price, the deal IS a dollar amount (Credit) deduction from the cost of the package. Package costs $39, you get $15 off. That package goes up to $42 you still get $15 off.

The verbiage about subject to change never means someone who signed up for a specified period of deal could lose that deal during that specified period. So DISH honors the dollar amount off, (The credit being given) but has not agreed to a specific price.

Last edited:
OK...I thought that if you were under ANY commitment , they would not raise the price.

I guess they can make me pay anything they want me to!

Makes me want to go to cable and use my Windows Media Center with basic cable and get Netflix as soon as the commitment is over. But , I DO love Auto hop.

I think the key difference is most cable providers do not require a term agreement. Most are month to month.

Right, cable doesn't do contracts in my area. If they decided to drop a channel I like or increase my programing or equipment fees I could give them back their equipment and move on at any time. That's a huge advantage for cable when choosing providers in my opinion. The equipment might not be as good but at least there are 3rd party DVR alternatives like TiVo and Windows Media Center that can help bridge some of that gap.

Things would have to drastically change before I would ever sign a 2 year TV contract again. If I ever went back to traditional pay TV I would get a couple CableCards and use the same HTPC I am currently using as an OTA DVR. Windows Media Center is no slouch. This would keep me out of a satellite contract and keep me from having to use crappy cable company equipment. It would also allow me to subscribe during the summer for the MLB season and cancel in the Winter during tax season when I don't have time to watch TV anyways. This is all hypothetical though. So far I'm perfectly happy with OTA and streaming.

No one has said anything about a "deal" or promo price. For example, I'm long past any introductory rate (discount) and am paying "X" per month. When I upgraded to a Hopper/Joey, I fell back under a contract. That didn't lock me into paying "X" per month for another two years. When Dish raises rates, I'm increased as well.

Right, cable doesn't do contracts in my area. If they decided to drop a channel I like or increase my programing or equipment fees I could give them back their equipment and move on at any time. That's a huge advantage for cable when choosing providers in my opinion. The equipment might not be as good but at least there are 3rd party DVR alternatives like TiVo and Windows Media Center that can help bridge some of that gap.

Things would have to drastically change before I would ever sign a 2 year TV contract again.

Yes, it would be tough to convince my wife to go with a 2 year contract for tv again, especially with the deal I just got from Comcast. I'm getting a tremendous deal with a 12 month price guarantee for their Digital Preferred w/HBO & Starz package with a HD receiver, two cable cards (for my two Tivo's) full phone, 105/20 internet with wireless gateway/eMTA for under $120 (after taxes and fees) with a $25 increase for months 13 - 24! And since there's no contract, if they screw me, I can leave at any time.

OK...I thought that if you were under ANY commitment , they would not raise the price.

I guess they can make me pay anything they want me to!

Makes me want to go to cable and use my Windows Media Center with basic cable and get Netflix as soon as the commitment is over. But , I DO love Auto hop.

I did and I am very happy with that setup. 50 Mbps internet + Digital Starter with Comcast for $59.99 per month. No HD fee, no receiver fee, no additional outlet fee, no DVR fee, no other BS fees. Just $59.99 per month. I am using an HD Homerun Prime and an HD Homerun dual OTA tuner. Give it a try; it works great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)