How can I check for a satellite signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ketchikan

Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
Hi there, new this forum but not to dishes.

I have a situation where I have a cabin outside of Ketchikan, Alaska and the only connection to the world would be through a satellite internet connection.

My problem is this, I live in a small cove that has some high terrain surrounding it.

I received the coordinates of 23 degrees above the horizon.

The tech in the area wont guarantee that I can get this signal and wants me to pick them up in my boat and take him out to my cabin to see if I can get a signal.

They want over $ 400.00 dollars for me to just check the signal.

Is there a meter or something that I can use to see if I can get a signal as I move up and down the hill behind me?

Thanks for all responses.

http://www.dishpointer.com/

This will help give you an idea. They also have an app for android & iphones, not real sure that would work where you're at.

In the old days I would take a standard protractor from lowes and lay it across a 4' straight edge to get an idea on elevation.

Welcome to the site.

Reactions: scarecrovv
Go to dishpointer dot com and see what direction or azimuth that you need to point to. Try to find some point of reference along the line shown at dishpointer. Use an angle finder turned upside down and sight along the bottom edge while holding it at the correct angle above horizontal. Get someone to read the dial or use a mirror. You need line of "sight" to the satellite to have any hope of getting a signal. There can be no trees, hills, or buildings in the way. 23 degrees is a little low and more susceptible to interference than a higher dish elevation, but if you have line of sight I would think it would work.

You would need a complete dish setup (probably Ka band) along with a basic satellite finder to conduct such a test and it isn't something you can do when you're walking. The dish needs to be focused on something that is 22,000+ miles away so it has to be pretty firmly mounted and the mast must be plumb (or the elevation scale doesn't mean anything). This is not satellite radio (2.345GHz) or GPS (1.5Ghz) where the antenna can be <3" in diameter.

If it were earlier or later in the year (February or October), there might be some reconnoitering you could do using the Sun as that is when the Sun is near that elevation at the approximate azimuth.

Go to dishpointer.com and input your location near Ketchican. Zoom in on the map and reposition the pointer to install location. Choose 111.1 Anik Wildblue from the satellite list or other nearby satellite that is 23 degrees elevation. Use obstacle checker and move the red pointer out to nearest large object that could block your signal. From the ground you will need to estimate if signal is above that point. An alternative is to use an angle finder or wedge cut to 23 degrees and site test yourself

Go to dishpointer.com and input your location near Ketchican. Zoom in on the map and reposition the pointer to install location. Choose 111.1 Anik Wildblue from the satellite list or other nearby satellite that is 23 degrees elevation. Use obstacle checker and move the red pointer out to nearest large object that could block your signal. From the ground you will need to estimate if signal is above that point. An alternative is to use an angle finder or wedge cut to 23 degrees and site test yourself
Post a pic of your SW sky

Hi there, new this forum but not to dishes.

I have a situation where I have a cabin outside of Ketchikan, Alaska and the only connection to the world would be through a satellite internet connection.

My problem is this, I live in a small cove that has some high terrain surrounding it.

I received the coordinates of 23 degrees above the horizon.

The tech in the area wont guarantee that I can get this signal and wants me to pick them up in my boat and take him out to my cabin to see if I can get a signal.

They want over $ 400.00 dollars for me to just check the signal.

Is there a meter or something that I can use to see if I can get a signal as I move up and down the hill behind me?

Thanks for all responses.
Any bigfoots in your area?

NorSat's SatelliteLocator is available on both Android and iOS and works much like Satellite Finder AR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts