How can I determine what caused my 722 to reboot?

STL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
St. Louis, MO
A couple nights ago, my 722 decided to spontaneously reboot. Can I look at the data in the "Counters" and determine why it rebooted? The internal fan ran for several minutes during this reboot -- which makes me think it was heat related. I looked at my HDD temperature values, and they all seem unchanged from the values I usually see. The high temp is 132, the low 111, and the average is 120. This reboot happened at approx. 11pm so the ambient air temperature in the house was on the low side. I have two fans cooling the unit which is inside a cabinet with only the front open. I have one fan one blowing directly into the unit of the right hand side, and the other one is positioned at the back of the unit on the left side blowing out (across the vents on that side).

Quick, almost negligible power outages have caused it with me a couple of times.

Quick, almost negligible power outages have caused it with me a couple of times.
I have my unit on a Tripplite power conditioner which adjusts for quick dips. And furthermore, the lights in my home didn't even dim; so I am fairly certain the cause wasn't an issue with supply voltage.

I guess I forgot to specifically mention that I was watching the unit at the time it rebooted. I was watching the TV2 output (coax) while my wife was watching the TV1 output (HDMI), and oddly enough we were watching the same recording (but were at different times in the program). Also, with this reboot the unit did not have to reaquire the satellite signals -- or it did it so quick I missed it. It was recording at the time, and started recording as soon as it powered back up.

Hard drive failure can cause the problem as well.
That is what I am most worried about. What information in the Counters can I look at to determine if this might be the issue? The unit is relatively new (Feb. 2009) but it does get a lot of use as it is the only rec'r in my home.

If you have had just one reboot, I wouldn't sweat it much or try to out think it. When you have consistent reboots is the time to consider the causes.

I have had a couple reboots before this one; this was the first time it happened when I was actually watching a program. I wouldn't call them consistent or anything (yet) but I am getting concerned.

If you could mount the disk on Linux or Windows with EXT2 support, you could get a couple logs from first partition - there is a reason should be mentioned.

At least you could run diagnostics [MHDD.EXE or manufacturer's utility] and check the disk for bad sectors.
The processes will require remove top cover and disconnect internal SATA cable and use your own SATA cable long enough to reach your PC.

My 722s have been puking regularly now. I'm on my 4th in a year and a half. Reboots and lots of 1-2 minute recordings are the initial symptoms. Eventually they get to where they reboot whenever you try to access the HDD.

If I were Dish, I would look for a better quality HDD or move it outside the case. It would save them lots of money on refurb costs.

Since you're having this happen repeatedly, I recommend that you move everything to an EHD and call Dish for a replacement if it keeps happening.

My 722s have been puking regularly now. I'm on my 4th in a year and a half. Reboots and lots of 1-2 minute recordings are the initial symptoms. Eventually they get to where they reboot whenever you try to access the HDD.

If I were Dish, I would look for a better quality HDD or move it outside the case. It would save them lots of money on refurb costs.
It wouldn't be so hard or costly - just add eSATA port on back and/or utilize second SATA channel from BCM7038 as Directv did.

I thought someone mentioned some codes in the counters area the denotes bad sectors on the HDD. That said, I cannot find the thread where I read that -- so I was hoping for some help with that info.

I thought someone mentioned some codes in the counters area the denotes bad sectors on the HDD. That said, I cannot find the thread where I read that -- so I was hoping for some help with that info.

I mentioned that. The tech person @ Dish had me check a value on the diagnostics sreen under details maybe. There were several "values". I think "value 4" was the HDD errors. She said something like more than 10 meant the HDD was bad.

Sorry. I didn't think I would need it again, or I would have made a note of it. I can try to look when I get home tonight if you like.

Found a post with the details...

Needless to say, I freaked out, and called Dish Network immediately. I got a girl who had me go into the menu, System Setup (6), Installation (1), System Info (3). She had me go into Details, and scroll down to the Value list, which read as follows: Value: 0:0, Value: 1:0, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Value: 2:0, Value: 3:0, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Value: 4:4, Value: 5:0, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Value: 6:0, Value: 7:-2, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Value: 8:1, Value: 9:5.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]She then asked me to go back to the main System Info screen and tell me what I saw on f...it is HDD over a green background. She said that there was nothing to be done and that I've lost my recordings and she would send out a new box. I was devastated! [/FONT]

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...events-gone-but-i-didnt-delete-them-help.html

Maybe she said "more than 0". I don't know. I'm getting old. lol :-D I am pretty sure it was "value 4" though. It indicates HDD errors. Mine was something like 126.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts