How can I get TV2 (a Sony Plasma monitor/TV) to work with 722K? Installer did not kno

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spatchel

Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
NC
Hi,
I have spent many hours on this and would love some advice. I ordered the 722k DVR to use for my downstairs & upstairs TVs, both HDTV. The installer informed me that the DVR will only output SD to TV2, so he made the TV in the next (very close) room TV2 (which I did not want) and gave me a VIP211k receiver for upstairs. I want the DVR to also output to the upstairs TV.
It seems like I could just connect the upstairs TV to the in-wall cable to access the DVR and use the other line with the HD receiver. One big problem is that the upstairs TV is a 5-year-old Sony plasma Pro (42X1?) and was not meant to be a TV. Hence, no coax input.
I'm trying to run it through a combo DVD/VCR machine with no luck so far. I've tried all combinations of channels (003,004,069,073) in the DVD/VCR and the TV too. 073 is what the downstairs 'TV2' is set-on. First question is, is that even possible with this being a 'TV2'?
Second, if it is possible, do I have to use composite outputs only to carry the non-HD signal? The DVR does up-convert, so I've tried using the component connections with no luck. Do I need to just break down and buy a demodulator?
I have confirmed running really long composite cables from the DVR to TV2 will work, but that's not practical and I'm a girl so I'm not good at drilling holes in walls and fishing & that stuff.
Since the in-wall coax does work for the original 'TV2', shouldn't I be able to use the in-wall coax for upstairs? Is the problem that I cannot connect the coax directly to the plasma?
Is there a way I can actually add the in-wall coax to the VIP211k receiver - using the 'ANT' input and have both running through 1 receiver?
Any advice is welcome - I've spent several days on this (essentially screwed everything up and couldn't even get the 211k receiver to work nor the downstairs 'TV2' to work). At least I have both of them working again.
Thanks!!!
spatchel :confused:

Did the installer run a new dedicated line for the 211k, or did he reuse the one already there? If he reused then you will not have the TV2 signal at that location. If he ran a new dedicated line then more than likely he toned out the line running to the current TV2 and disconnected the others (what he is supposed to do BTW). So if he reused the existing line you need to swap the lines at the ground block diplexer. If he ran a dedicated line you'll need to find the old line and connect it to the diplexer. If you can't figure it out call dish and have them send a tech. It's simple if you understand how these thing work, but greek if you don't.

Hi,
I have spent many hours on this and would love some advice. I ordered the 722k DVR to use for my downstairs & upstairs TVs, both HDTV. The installer informed me that the DVR will only output SD to TV2, so he made the TV in the next (very close) room TV2 (which I did not want) and gave me a VIP211k receiver for upstairs. I want the DVR to also output to the upstairs TV.
It seems like I could just connect the upstairs TV to the in-wall cable to access the DVR and use the other line with the HD receiver. One big problem is that the upstairs TV is a 5-year-old Sony plasma Pro (42X1?) and was not meant to be a TV. Hence, no coax input.
I'm trying to run it through a combo DVD/VCR machine with no luck so far. I've tried all combinations of channels (003,004,069,073) in the DVD/VCR and the TV too. 073 is what the downstairs 'TV2' is set-on. First question is, is that even possible with this being a 'TV2'?
Second, if it is possible, do I have to use composite outputs only to carry the non-HD signal? The DVR does up-convert, so I've tried using the component connections with no luck. Do I need to just break down and buy a demodulator?
I have confirmed running really long composite cables from the DVR to TV2 will work, but that's not practical and I'm a girl so I'm not good at drilling holes in walls and fishing & that stuff.
Since the in-wall coax does work for the original 'TV2', shouldn't I be able to use the in-wall coax for upstairs? Is the problem that I cannot connect the coax directly to the plasma?
Is there a way I can actually add the in-wall coax to the VIP211k receiver - using the 'ANT' input and have both running through 1 receiver?
Any advice is welcome - I've spent several days on this (essentially screwed everything up and couldn't even get the 211k receiver to work nor the downstairs 'TV2' to work). At least I have both of them working again.
Thanks!!!
spatchel :confused:

the easiest way to get tv2 to work on a monitor is to run your input in to a vcr & use the a/v output to the monitor

TV 2 out is SD only. If you want HD at the second location you have 2 choices. ! run the HDMI upstairs and use component at the TV where it is located or to buy an HDMI splitter. Just hit me that the older TV may not have HDMI in so you would have to run component w/stereo audio to it. In either case you can go to monoprice.com to find cables for the runs.

Thanks for the replies! He did run a dedicated line to the 211k, but also connected the 'in-home distribution' on the 722 so the TV in the next room could be 'TV2'. I'm thinking all cable outlets in my house should be 'active' as 'TV2', but I'm just learning about all this stuff.

I like the HDMI splitter idea. The monitor does have DVI input and I have an HDMI - DVI adapter.

Thanks!! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)