How can they be so totally inept??

HailScroob

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
LaPaz, Indiana
Dish managed to famously screw up my 722k upgrade, which I just cancelled.

I placed the DIU order on 2/27 for a 722k and the MT2 module. They charged my CC that day. I called on 3/6 to request the RMA number for the old box and was told they had no record of my order. After 45 minutes spent alternately between arguing and on hold, they finally admitted that I had indeed paid for the upgrade and it was somehow lost in the system. The "executive office" allegedly escalated re-processing of the order and I would have my 722k in "3 to 5 days."

On 3/9 I did a chat with a CS rep and was told the box had shipped but because it was a "special order" they couldn't provide me with an RMA number, or a UPS tracking number. He said I should have the box "tomorrow" (3/10). Skeptical, I quit the chat and called in, and was told that it hadn't shipped yet, but that I would receive the box in "7 - 10 business days" from 3/9 (in other words, now I'm looking at a delivery date or 3/23 instead of 3/13 as quoted just 3 days earlier). So now I'm really ticked: I was lied to twice, and now I won't see the box until almost a month after they charged my CC? They give me a $25 credit to lower my blood pressure. Be still my heart. They did that because they couldn't cancel the DIU then and there because they had no way to tell if it had already shipped.

Today, on a lark, I check my account online and the RMA shows up: except that they have the wrong shipping address, the status is still "ship pending" and the RMA specifies the 942 I traded in a year ago for the 722 that I currently have. I did another chat and was told the box had shipped but, again, because it was a "special order" they couldn't provide me with a UPS tracking number. I told him they shipped it to the wrong address, that I'm fed up and want my money back. He had me call the Customer Loyalty Department (?). I read her my litany of complaints and then she checked and - lo and behold - the box had not yet shipped! So there was yet another Dish Network employee boldface LIE!!! After I brought that to her attention, she kindly removed the DIU from my account; crediting back the $104 they charged to my card and removing the 24 months commitment from my account (all allegedly, of course: I'll call in tomorrow and see what "the system" says about all that).

She also said if the 722k somehow does make it to me, I could just keep it for no cost and no commitment; just activate it and return the old 722. I seriously doubt that any of that is true.

Reading Scott's 722k thread, I'm not feeling so bad about not getting one; but I I'm really, truly fed up with Dish. I can handle an honest mistake here and there, but this cavalcade of incompetence and dishonesty is just too much.

Sadly concluding that Dish is unable to handle rolling out new equipment... hopefully my 722 stays in good shape for some time ^^;

I was watching a recording last night, while recording three other programs on my 722 and the thing rebooted right in the middle of my playing a recording and I missed 5 minutes of my three recorded programs. When I went to resume CSI, it started about 20 minutes earlier in the recording. Did we just get new software again. I haven't had my 722 reboot on its own in the two years that I have had it. Oh! NO!

Sadly concluding that Dish is unable to handle rolling out new equipment... hopefully my 722 stays in good shape for some time ^^;
It affects all areas of customer service, not just new equipment orders. But for whatever reason, Dish CS has seemed particularly incompetent the last six months or so.

Recently, each time I have called in or chatted to do something on my account it is invariably either not done at all or done incorrectly, requiring multiple additional phone calls / chats to resolve the situation. I've tried three times to sign up for the $10/mo. for 12 months promotion, been told each time I was signed up, but have yet to see a credit. I am still waiting for my first credit in the HD Platimum Free for 3 months promotion - after having had HD Platimum for about 2 months. I had the ESPN FullCourt package (which I had paid for) removed from my account - then in trying to resolve the issue got billed for it again, even though I verified at minimum three times that I would not be re-billed for the package.

It would seem that Dish is having some serious internal issues that need addressed. I can't be the only one encountering these problems.

It affects all areas of customer service, not just new equipment orders. But for whatever reason, Dish CS has seemed particularly incompetent the last six months or so.

Recently, each time I have called in or chatted to do something on my account it is invariably either not done at all or done incorrectly, requiring multiple additional phone calls / chats to resolve the situation. I've tried three times to sign up for the $10/mo. for 12 months promotion, been told each time I was signed up, but have yet to see a credit. I am still waiting for my first credit in the HD Platimum Free for 3 months promotion - after having had HD Platimum for about 2 months. I had the ESPN FullCourt package (which I had paid for) removed from my account - then in trying to resolve the issue got billed for it again, even though I verified at minimum three times that I would not be re-billed for the package.

It would seem that Dish is having some serious internal issues that need addressed. I can't be the only one encountering these problems.

You're not. I am still dealing with the "FREE" Hbo/Starz promotion on two of my DISH accounts. I added the FREE promotion last month around the 20th and they didn't apply any credits . So I called last month and got them to apply the $22.00 + extra days on both accounts. Today I got my first bill and noticed it was $27.00 over what it should be AGAIN. Called and talked to an American, only after hanging up on 7-11 "Bob" the first time.

They had added the "credit" back into my bill and so the Tech applied the $27.00 credit again and this time she applied an extra $20.00 for my troubles. The second account I can not view the bill since it's not ready, but I have seen the total and guess what ? It is $20.00 more than it should be. So I will have to call once the bill is available and once again get the credit .

This "free" promotion has been a pain in the ass & I have had to baby sit it the whole time to make sure that it doesn't cost me any more money. Only at DISH do you have to pay more monthly, than you did before to get something "FREE.":rolleyes:

Interesting note: If you look over in the Installer Zone, you see them talking about their lack of love for CSR's too - they get the same reps that you can't understand, the same reps that know nothing, and the same reps that are friendly and nice and assure you they've taken care of everything, aaaand when you call back, nothing was ever done, nor did they even note that they talked to you.

So it's not just us - it really does seem that the phone/chat people throughout the organization have issues in terms of getting stuff done. The exceptions seem to be a) the folks in Colorado at the 720 area code number that gets posted occasionally as a support-of-last-resort line, and the c e o at echostar people - they're universally recommended as great, but they obviously can't handle EVERYTHING.

I don't know if people issues or training issues are more to blame; my guess is a little of both. For what it's worth, being a Dish CSR probably IS more complicated in terms of the wide variety of situations and things to do than being a CSR for, say, the phone company. So I wonder if Dish is contracting with a low-bid India company for this, and the low-bid company doesn't really understand the complexity of it and doesn't have the right people for the job or the right training, and so on... Undoubtedly, Dish moved most of their phone support offshore because of the high cost of providing it in North America - but didn't realize some of the high cost was in the better training required for Dish CSR's, not just the higher costs of living in North America.

Speculation maybe - but I'd speculate that these constant CSR issues (and the audit nazis) significantly contribute to churn levels and subscriber losses. Poor customer service at all levels (some retailers and installers included) results in poor customer attract and retain rates, and that's really all there is to it. Not much different than the corner restaurant that continually has rude wait staff - given long enough, the locals drift away and all that's left are people with coupons or other deals and people who don't know better and get screwed.

Interesting note: If you look over in the Installer Zone, you see them talking about their lack of love for CSR's too - they get the same reps that you can't understand, the same reps that know nothing, and the same reps that are friendly and nice and assure you they've taken care of everything, aaaand when you call back, nothing was ever done, nor did they even note that they talked to you.

So it's not just us - it really does seem that the phone/chat people throughout the organization have issues in terms of getting stuff done. The exceptions seem to be a) the folks in Colorado at the 720 area code number that gets posted occasionally as a support-of-last-resort line, and the c e o at echostar people - they're universally recommended as great, but they obviously can't handle EVERYTHING.

I don't know if people issues or training issues are more to blame; my guess is a little of both. For what it's worth, being a Dish CSR probably IS more complicated in terms of the wide variety of situations and things to do than being a CSR for, say, the phone company. So I wonder if Dish is contracting with a low-bid India company for this, and the low-bid company doesn't really understand the complexity of it and doesn't have the right people for the job or the right training, and so on... Undoubtedly, Dish moved most of their phone support offshore because of the high cost of providing it in North America - but didn't realize some of the high cost was in the better training required for Dish CSR's, not just the higher costs of living in North America.

Speculation maybe - but I'd speculate that these constant CSR issues (and the audit nazis) significantly contribute to churn levels and subscriber losses. Poor customer service at all levels (some retailers and installers included) results in poor customer attract and retain rates, and that's really all there is to it. Not much different than the corner restaurant that continually has rude wait staff - given long enough, the locals drift away and all that's left are people with coupons or other deals and people who don't know better and get screwed.

I think you just summed up the brunt of DISH's problems in a nut shell.

My 722 did that last week !

I was watching a recording last night, while recording three other programs on my 722 and the thing rebooted right in the middle of my playing a recording and I missed 5 minutes of my three recorded programs. When I went to resume CSI, it started about 20 minutes earlier in the recording. Did we just get new software again. I haven't had my 722 reboot on its own in the two years that I have had it. Oh! NO!

My 722 shut down and rebooted 3 times during "Lost " Last week. I was recording also while watching.I was told it was a possible overheating issue and tech sent me instructions to check (havent yet because it was too technical and hasnt done it again)I cleaned around receiver and made sure I have a good air flow around.So far seems to have corrected problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)