How CBS Dispute Affects You ?

How CBS Dispute Affects You ?

• My CBS Channel is not O&O Channel (Will not lose CBS)

Votes: 86 52.1%
  • My CBS Channel is O&O Channel (Will lose CBS)

Votes: 42 25.5%
  • I will access CBS with an Over the Air Antenna

Votes: 60 36.4%
  • I don't watch programming on CBS

Votes: 7 4.2%

• Total voters
That is a good idea. I have mine mounted in the attic and amplified. Pulls in 100% signal strength for most channels, but I am lucky the OTA stations are only about 25 miles away and in the same direction.View attachment 102854
Those are very good antennas. Yagi's are excellent as well.
I have a friend north of here who has 4 of them in his attic. Has two pointed toward Charlotte( CLT). Two pointed at Greensboro( GSO)...He receives all locals in good to excellent quality from both DMA's.
GSO transmitters are 40 to 50 miles distant over relatively flat terrain. Hence the reason he gets those fairly well.
CLT's are closer but a bit scattered.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Wouldn't work here because we have channels on Lo VHF and Hi VHF and we're 50 miles from the tower with mountains in the way. My antenna is 14 feet long.
Yours is an example of why these stupid rules governing "white areas and b curvature signal grades ( is that right?) are a load of crap.
The way I see it, anyone with a satellite system that cannot receive an acceptable OTA signal should have no problem accessing out of market network stations.
But the TV station owner mindset is stuck in the stone age. It's more about "marking territory" than anything else.
It all boils down to one issue. The local station owners want the viewers to view local ads.
Question I have is, if we're on a pay TV subscriber deal, we are paying them already. So why the heck are they so worried about viewership of commercials? I hit the mute button as soon as there is a break anyway. Most commercials annoy me to distraction.

That looks really nice. Wish I could have an OTA setup that easy. Living 65 miles LOS from Birmingham, I doubt that would work here.
I have a 60' tower that is about 25 years old, had the antennas, cable, and roter replaced in 2009, lighting took the whole thing out in summer of 2013, and the guy that climbed that tower to install that equipment is out of business now, can't find anyone else to do it, and I sure as hell ain't climbing 60'. So, I just get locals from Dish only now.
SIXTY FEET? Wow! I've mounted as high as 30 feet. That was without a safety harness. Pretty stupid, yeah. But I had plenty on which rto hold and I had both feet hooked into the tower structure and I braced my upper body at all times.
I won't do it again. Now, with a harness, no worries. Show me where.

Those are very good antennas. Yagi's are excellent as well.
I have a friend north of here who has 4 of them in his attic. Has two pointed toward Charlotte( CLT). Two pointed at Greensboro( GSO)...He receives all locals in good to excellent quality from both DMA's.
GSO transmitters are 40 to 50 miles distant over relatively flat terrain. Hence the reason he gets those fairly well.
CLT's are closer but a bit scattered.
Yep. Two antenna farms in CLT. About 30 degrees apart for me.

Loss of CBS will not affect me here. Our CBS affiliate is owned by Raycom. And Dish already had it's kerfuffle with Raycom.

I live 65 miles from Kansas City and I get very good signal on almost every channel and I have mine in the attic.
Isn't Kansas and that part of Missouri flat? North Alabama is very hilly and rugged not quite mountainous like East Tennessee, but plenty hilly to degrade a signal. Might be worth a try though. Thanks for the report at that distance.

i'm in the DFW TV market so i will lose KTVT and KTXA which are both CBS O&O. this is the first local TV station dispute for the DFW area dish customers since the Belo (then owner of WFAA, which ended up acquired by Gannett late last year) and Fox/New Corporation (owner of KDFW and KDFI) in October 2010, luckily both were resolved before the channels could go dark. unfortunately. these channels will go dark as Dish and CBS are in unfriendly terms and isn't CBS already suing CBS or have they not filed any lawsuits yet.

I will not be affected by CBS, not in an O&O market. I am not pleased that Showtime is going away. I expect they will be back sooner rather than later due to NFL football, the demand that will have to be met in those markets, especially where OTA reception is not practical or non existent in those areas.

This is my problem. Pittsburgh networks are all over the map so an outdoor antenna would have to be high in the air and our 3rd floor roof isn't accessible.

I won't lose The CW because I get the super stations. However, CBS is crap OTA. The only network I can get reliably OTA is NBC. Not helpful.

What is the best indoor multidirectional antenna? I currently have two "RCA ANT1400F Multi-Directional Digital Flat Passive Home Theater Antenna" s in various places in my room next to the TV. I have them plugged into a splitter to get both directions fed into the DVR. Still I get "offair signal lost" anytime the thing dives under 71. That seems odd to me. Is it because it's digital? Does Dish force the signal to show as offair even if it would be somewhat pixelated?

I'm not 100% sure why I'm putting up with this crap and not moving to DirecTV. I have Verizon Fios in the house that my sister uses, but I don't have a box to access it in my room.

It's a big deal for me because I review TV. I'm open to any OTA indoor, multidirectional opinions you have, as well as if you think splitting the antennas into my two OTA splitters is not working. I don't know how else to do it.

Thanks!

i'm in the DFW TV market so i will lose KTVT and KTXA which are both CBS O&O. this is the first local TV station dispute for the DFW area dish customers since the Belo (then owner of WFAA, which ended up acquired by Gannett late last year) and Fox/New Corporation (owner of KDFW and KDFI) in October 2010, luckily both were resolved before the channels could go dark. unfortunately. these channels will go dark as Dish and CBS are in unfriendly terms and isn't CBS already suing CBS or have they not filed any lawsuits yet.

Do you live close enough to Tyler, Waco, or Wichita Falls that you might be able to get CBS out of one of those markets OTA?

my chicago cbs station will be gone i just got the ota doogle today will put up the antenna this weekend.