How CBS Dispute Affects You ?

How CBS Dispute Affects You ?

• My CBS Channel is not O&O Channel (Will not lose CBS)

Votes: 86 52.1%
  • My CBS Channel is O&O Channel (Will lose CBS)

Votes: 42 25.5%
  • I will access CBS with an Over the Air Antenna

Votes: 60 36.4%
  • I don't watch programming on CBS

Votes: 7 4.2%

• Total voters
A message moved across the bottom of the screen about this while watching Survivor this evening. I have been cutting back on my programming because I have realized that I was paying for channels I did not watch. HBO went, Showtime went, when the Turner stations went bye-bye I dropped to Top 120 from 200 because I lost several channels I watched with some degree of regularity. Right now I am paying for 120 and there are 6 of those I actually watch. If CBS is dropped I'm going to have to move to Comcast after being with Dish since 2001. I support Dish fighting these battles but I still would like to watch the programming I enjoy on Television. None of this is being said out of anger and it's not a rant, it's just what I am going to have to do.

For the sake of interest, I'm in SE Michigan. Detroit locals.

Reactions: space86
If CBS shuts off their channels then yes I will lose them. Will it affect me? I will be disappointed to lose some of the shows but won't lose my lunch over it. I would rather Dish stand up to the bullies than cave. Hell CBS should be free anyway...

Okay, disclaimer that I am a Dish employee. Anxious to hear from people who remember the early days. In my community, cable started in the 1970s. Back then. it was channels 2-13. We had multiple versions of ABC/NBC/CBS, along with PBS. The cost of cable was mostly for building and maintain the physical plant, the network of wires through the city, and the antennas put up high to catch the signals of the channels. I don't believe anything was paid to any channel. The channels were generally okay with this, their cost was paid via advertising. And now, those channels could boast being watched in a much larger area than just the range of their transmitter, so I assume they could (to some extent) charge more for advertising.

We had HBO on channel 2. Only a single HBO back then. It was extra, as customers had to pay for this, as HBO had no advertising at all. HBO survived off of subscriber payments, filtered through the local cable company. Now, of course, we have networks that run ads that expect subscribers to pay for the right to watch. We have local channels, who run ads (and make money from them) that expect subscribers to pay for the right to watch.

Reactions: TheKrell
Okay, disclaimer that I am a Dish employee. Anxious to hear from people who remember the early days. In my community, cable started in the 1970s. Back then. it was channels 2-13. We had multiple versions of ABC/NBC/CBS, along with PBS. The cost of cable was mostly for building and maintain the physical plant, the network of wires through the city, and the antennas put up high to catch the signals of the channels. I don't believe anything was paid to any channel. The channels were generally okay with this, their cost was paid via advertising. And now, those channels could boast being watched in a much larger area than just the range of their transmitter, so I assume they could (to some extent) charge more for advertising.

We had HBO on channel 2. Only a single HBO back then. It was extra, as customers had to pay for this, as HBO had no advertising at all. HBO survived off of subscriber payments, filtered through the local cable company. Now, of course, we have networks that run ads that expect subscribers to pay for the right to watch. We have local channels, who run ads (and make money from them) that expect subscribers to pay for the right to watch.
I remember buying a tv for myself for the first time. A 13" B&W from Sears. I asked the sales person if I could connect cable TV. Her response was, "oh this gets good reception"....We had just gotten cable in our town. Just the local channels, HBO and a couple other channels.
1976 or so.....The first "pay" service was Sports Channel. I needed this to watch baseball and hockey games which were starting to appear on cable rather than just OTA. It was an extra $3 per month.

Do you live close enough to Tyler, Waco, or Wichita Falls that you might be able to get CBS out of one of those markets OTA?

i live in Campbell, which is in Hunt County, which is consider the fringe area of the DFW TV market, but i can pick up KTVT and KTXA ok, but the only TV in the house connected to the outside antenna is the living room TV, and i have other TV plugged into the Antenna.

i am closer to Tyler/Longview then i am to Wichita Falls and Waco. not to mention, you left out the Texoma (Sherman/Denison, TX-Ada/Admore, OK) market too.

but i'm not gonna "move" to get back CBS, i don't watch CBS that much.

We may use 5000 acronyms here at times. It is easier to answer the occasional question then to build a chart....
Not a good answer, surely there is someone that can create a list, perhaps not 5000, but a short list at the least. After all she does have a point.
How about an accessible user list like was done a while back with the stations owned / operated by, my that was a long, complicated one and so many of you addressed it.

rAy

Not a good answer, surely there is someone that can create a list, perhaps not 5000, but a short list at the least. After all she does have a point.
How about an accessible user list like was done a while back with the stations owned / operated by, my that was a long, complicated one and so many of you addressed it.

rAy
I'm sorry you didn't like my answer. It seems you want somebody, anybody, to do something that is little needed, just as long as it isn't you. Once again, we get an occasional question as to what an acronym might be. Those questions get answered quickly. It works, why fix it....

Time Warner Cable in the LA NYC and Dallas markets lost a little over 300,000 subscribers in a one month black out of CBS stations last year.
Even Charlie cant afford to lose those kinds of subscribers because when customers start jumping ship in those numbers guess who will be right behind them?
Shareholders.

Time Warner Cable in the LA NYC and Dallas markets lost a little over 300,000 subscribers in a one month black out of CBS stations last year.
Even Charlie cant afford to lose those kinds of subscribers because when customers start jumping ship in those numbers guess who will be right behind them?
Shareholders.

If DISH ever had that many subscribers churn in one month, I think Even he would have to think twice about settling that agreement quickly. IN 2004 DISH and CBS /Viacom had a dispute and all the CBS and VIACOM channels were pulled off the air and they settled within two days. This time it is only over CBS O/O stations and Showtime. The dispute could go longer if Charlie wanted to, since it wouldn't be as many stations as before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)