How difficult is the AT9 dish to point?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaulieORF

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 19, 2005
Southington, CT
So, how many people here have installed their own AT9 dish and pointed it successfully? What was your experience? How long did it take? How much more difficult is it to point when compared to the Phase III dishes? Thanks guys.

Paulie,

I just did a custom AT-9 install for my home over the weekend. I had originally had a DTV installer come out, and tell me that they couldn't do the install because where the Dish had to be mounted they couldn;t do with the hardware that was provided.

My origial 3LNB setup was on a custom arm I had made years ago.

I called DTV and told them my problem and they gave me a rebate equal to the cost of the dish, so I bought one online. Going by where the DTV installed said I needed the dish to be I had a 12" straight piece of exhaust tubing cut at the local muffler shop that I used for my Dish arm. I set the tilt and the elavation by the install screen from the reciever and eye balled the azimuth based upon my existing 3LNB dish.

When I put a reciever on the new dish I was in the 80's for most transponders.

All in all I found it muhc quicker and easier then the 3 LNB setup. I did this during dusk.

So the next day I fine tuned it using the reciever and got most transponders in the high 80's to 90's.

If you are putting this on the roof make sure the center of the mounting bracket is over a roof joist so that your lag bolts really have a good grip. I have a total of 8 lag bolts in my setup with 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. As far as I can tell it isn't going to move anywhere.

good luck

Franky C.

frankyboy4 said:
Paulie,

I just did a custom AT-9 install for my home over the weekend. I had originally had a DTV installer come out, and tell me that they couldn't do the install because where the Dish had to be mounted they couldn;t do with the hardware that was provided.

My origial 3LNB setup was on a custom arm I had made years ago.

I called DTV and told them my problem and they gave me a rebate equal to the cost of the dish, so I bought one online. Going by where the DTV installed said I needed the dish to be I had a 12" straight piece of exhaust tubing cut at the local muffler shop that I used for my Dish arm. I set the tilt and the elavation by the install screen from the reciever and eye balled the azimuth based upon my existing 3LNB dish.

When I put a reciever on the new dish I was in the 80's for most transponders.

All in all I found it muhc quicker and easier then the 3 LNB setup. I did this during dusk.

So the next day I fine tuned it using the reciever and got most transponders in the high 80's to 90's.

If you are putting this on the roof make sure the center of the mounting bracket is over a roof joist so that your lag bolts really have a good grip. I have a total of 8 lag bolts in my setup with 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. As far as I can tell it isn't going to move anywhere.

good luck

Franky C.
Thanks for your response.

So in what order did you pick up the satellites? Did you start with the 3 "old" satellites and then pick up the 2 new ones? Are your elevation, szimuth and everything pretty much the same as what they were on your old 3 LNB dish?

dfergie said:
This link may help you.
Thanks.

That video is actually the reason I'm posting this question. The video makes it seem like pointing this dish without the $125 signal meter could be quite difficult. Is getting signal from all 5 sats as difficult as this video makes it seem? Let's say if getting your signal on the Phase III dish was a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 for difficulty, how would you rate doing the same with the AT9?

The settings were not all the same but once I did the fine tuning, I did have good signal levels acorss all 5 sateliites. Also make sure you know what transponders you should be seeing on the 99 and 103 birds, it will depend on where you live as to what transponders you will see signal on.

I found this to be the easiest setup I have done, and I have done all of my installs dish installs.

There is another thread that shows the transponders that will be seen based on the DMA market.

Franky C.

frankyboy4 said:
The settings were not all the same but once I did the fine tuning, I did have good signal levels acorss all 5 sateliites. Also make sure you know what transponders you should be seeing on the 99 and 103 birds, it will depend on where you live as to what transponders you will see signal on.

I found this to be the easiest setup I have done, and I have done all of my installs dish installs.

There is another thread that shows the transponders that will be seen based on the DMA market.

Franky C.
Sounds great. I'm encourraged that I haven't heard any horror stories yet on this. I just need to get that transponder list and I should be good. Once again, thanks a lot.

PaulieORF said:
Thanks.

That video is actually the reason I'm posting this question. The video makes it seem like pointing this dish without the $125 signal meter could be quite difficult. Is getting signal from all 5 sats as difficult as this video makes it seem? Let's say if getting your signal on the Phase III dish was a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 for difficulty, how would you rate doing the same with the AT9?
I have a Phase III arm mounted on a Dish 500 Pan and have been unable to find more than just Sat A (experimenting) I will tackle the at9 when my locals come up later this year... probablly a 7 or an 8 :)

If you read, understand and follow the instructions provided with the dish you should have no trouble. First timers with an experienced instructor and using a good meter can take 10 to 20min just for the peaking, not including assembling the dish, mount and choosing the correct zone for the 110/119LNBs. Experienced installers can peak the dish properly in less than 5min without skipping any steps. Don’t skip any steps! If you don’t have a meter you could probably use your receiver but you would want to monitor the signal strength right at the antenna as you go through the motions. This doesn’t work well if one of the kids is downstairs giving you feedback to your cell phone on the roof. Do you have access to compression type F connectors and crimping tools? You want to avoid those Radio Shack crimp connectors and that $7 crimper. Do this one right or pay a professional, there is no room for in between.
Bob

PaulieORF said:
So, how many people here have installed their own AT9 dish and pointed it successfully? What was your experience? How long did it take? How much more difficult is it to point when compared to the Phase III dishes? Thanks guys.

Did mine a week ago and had zero issues. I have a meter though and I'm in the mid 90s.

mechman

mechman said:
Did mine a week ago and had zero issues. I have a meter though and I'm in the mid 90s.

mechman
I don't have a mater, but here's my plan: Slingbox connected to the H20 my laptop on the roof, there's my signal meter. :)

PaulieORF said:
I don't have a mater, but here's my plan: Slingbox connected to the H20 my laptop on the roof, there's my signal meter. :)
Sounds like a plan!! :)

mechman

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)