How do I get Directv to all my rooms in my house, w/o extra boxes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

T_N_T

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Hendersonville,TN
I stayed at a hotel once that sent their dish signal to all the tv's in the hotel, but they mapped their own channels and it did not require a box, not all the channels were there but they didnt send some of the channels to the tv's. How is it even possible to do this? Did they have some sort of special license to do this, would it be legal for me to do this. I could go with boxes but I don't want to have to pay for the extra wiring as it would probably cause a lot of money + I don't want to go back to cable just to get TV in all of my rooms.

Simplistically, back in a dark room that hotel had a box for each channel that they then modulated to different channels for distribution throughout the hotel. But, then it might be they had a highly specialized receiver.

For you, you'd need a separate box for each TV. You could put them in a common location and do the modulating thing as well.

Or just distribute the one signal to all TVs. Of course, then they would all show the same channel.

Considering there would be a mirror fee foe each box plus the cost of the modulators, definitely not.

If the cables all go to a central point, a multiswitch there would work (or wait for the SWM if HD DVRs).

You got room somewhere to put 40 - 200 boxes and 40 - 200 channel modulators? The mirror fees of $5 for each receiver and all the dishes and switches it would take to get all these receivers bringing in and individual signal?

While your at it why don't you start your own cable company and supply the neighborhood.

You could probably do this at your house for 50 grand.. But it is possible. :)

Or you could just put a box in each room and enjoy TV.. You don't really need your own cable head end system.. Hotels Do..

You got room somewhere to put 40 - 200 boxes and 40 - 200 channel modulators? The mirror fees of $5 for each receiver and all the dishes and switches it would take to get all these receivers bringing in and individual signal?

While your at it why don't you start your own cable company and supply the neighborhood.

You could probably do this at your house for 50 grand.. But it is possible. :)

Or you could just put a box in each room and enjoy TV.. You don't really need your own cable head end system.. Hotels Do..

Ok... I didn't know... it was just a question... I have four rooms, is there a wiring/install fee + box lease fee on top of that 5 dollars a month, that I would have to pay to get the boxes in all the rooms.

+ I was going to modulate a small number of the channels, not all of them.

The 4 room install is usally free. If you had cable already in those rooms then its no problem. If they have to run cables to 3 of the rooms then it might cost especaillay if they have to phish it through walls. Yes the first box would be free the other 3 would be 4.99 each.

I stayed at a hotel once that sent their dish signal to all the tv's in the hotel, but they mapped their own channels and it did not require a box, not all the channels were there but they didnt send some of the channels to the tv's. How is it even possible to do this?
Rip out all the walls inside your house!:D

Considering there would be a mirror fee foe each box plus the cost of the modulators, definitely not.

If the cables all go to a central point, a multiswitch there would work (or wait for the SWM if HD DVRs).

WHY not? How many tuners does the OP need?

If your only objective is not having to run extra wiring, and you don't mind all rooms watching the same channel, then you can certainly use only one box, modulate then split the output to the other three rooms.

If you have Dish Network you could get dual tuners, 2 tv locations would operate on one receiver. I don't know if DirectTV has them or not. The hotels use a mass distribution receiver that can control about 500 units, so i don't think that's in your budget.. LOL

If you have Dish Network you could get dual tuners, 2 tv locations would operate on one receiver. I don't know if DirectTV has them or not. The hotels use a mass distribution receiver that can control about 500 units, so i don't think that's in your budget.. LOL

Dish? Why did that get brought up?

Check out The Terk Leap Frog

Circuit City carries a device called Leap Frog, which will send a signal via radio wave from your main receiver to tvs in other rooms. If you don't have existing wiring to those rooms, Leap Frog will transmit the signal and you can use the receiver's remote control to dial in a channel. It works fine for me. The receiver is in the living room and I can lie in my bedroom and change channels on my tv using the Leap Frog. For less than $100 you can get both a transmitter and a receiver. Additional receivers cost about $40.

I wanted to do CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX,MYTV,CW + ESPN and maybe an RSN. But it looks like as if I should just get four boxes, instead of going through the hassle of modulating.

I might be mistaken, but I do not think that leapfrog or any wireless solution currently supports HD.

I wanted to do CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX,MYTV,CW + ESPN and maybe an RSN. But it looks like as if I should just get four boxes, instead of going through the hassle of modulating.

So in order to set that up you need 8 receivers, one for each channel, and each room will be limited to those 8 channels.

Or you could just get one receiver for each TV, which makes 4, and you can get every channel you subscribe to on those TV's.

You decide.

So in order to set that up you need 8 receivers, one for each channel, and each room will be limited to those 8 channels.

Or you could just get one receiver for each TV, which makes 4, and you can get every channel you subscribe to on those TV's.

You decide.

I'm going to get the recievers, its way cheaper than modulating.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR-20/21 upconverting question...

VOD Download paused

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts