How do I move 148 to 61.5

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kevin_Texas

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 26, 2003
Burbs of Dallas Texas
What is the easiest way of re-alining my 2nd Dish from 148 to 61.5. I am not sure I understand how to go about setting Azimuth, Elevation, and Skew Angles for the Satellites.

Thanks for any advice

Kevin_Texas said:
What is the easiest way of re-alining my 2nd Dish from 148 to 61.5. I am not sure I understand how to go about setting Azimuth, Elevation, and Skew Angles for the Satellites.

Thanks for any advice
There is a zipcode tool from dish that lets you know what Azimuth, Elevation, and Skew Angles for the different Satellites. Just search the dish website.

I just re-pointed my dish. The 811 worked fine. My 721 got into a weird state. I wasted too much time till I did the following:

- Disconnected the wing dish
- Did check switch
- Added the wing back
- Did another check switch

-Mark

OoTLink said:
It's pretty simple, there's marks on the dish bracket itself that help you set azimuth/elevation/skew, if you want to find the settings you should be using for your area you would go to the check signal screen on your receiver and enter in your zipcode, but you can also find that here:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/installation/azimuth/index.shtml

Oh!! :)

That makes since. I did not know there where markings on the bracket. I knew about going to the WEB site get the settings but did know to apply them to the dish

Thanks guys.

yeah there are some markings, though sometimes it helps to know how to peak a dish without them (I've never touched a dish, period.. *hides* -- but I might re-aim our 148 to 61.5 one day out of boredom.. it's not TOO high up)....
Here's some more random stuff, it covers RV dish pointing, but the general idea applies to anything (it's near the bottom) -- keep in mind not all of this will apply to your setup ;)

Kevin
its real easy to do....I just reaimed by 61.5 to 148

Took about 5 minutes once you have the elevation right

just select 61.5 in the install menu and aim dish. rerun check switch and you should all be set :d

Iceberg said:
Kevin
its real easy to do....I just reaimed by 61.5 to 148

Took about 5 minutes once you have the elevation right

just select 61.5 in the install menu and aim dish. rerun check switch and you should all be set :d

Thanks Iceberg!

I plan on doing it this evening.

I will you give you a update once it's done.

How can tell what is being broadcast on 148 in the Dallas area?

The only local on 148 for Dallas is the Independent KPMX 29

this is from www.dishchannelchart.com

The PI's on 148 are on 61.5 too

For Dallas, the numbers are such
elevation is 36.3
azimuth is 120

put the elevation on the dish to 36 and aim it se until you get a good signal
use TP 8

So I look at the Dish I see markings for something called SKEW and for elevation. I not sure what SKEW means?

Also are their markings on the Dish for azimuth

Also the 2nd Dish is pointing south west.

How much adjustment do you think I will need to make

Keep in mind that due south is azimuth 180, so go to left left of due south 80 degrees and you'll be at azimuth 120.

There are no markings for Azimuth. think about it.

Skew should be set to 90 for wing dish setups.

The numbers on point dish may be off by as much as 5 degrees in azimuth depending on what settings you used (300/500) and what type of dsh it actually is.

Sorry guys, it was getting late and too much dust in my brain from finishing drywall all day.

All done!

Took less than 10 min to re-align dish once I pulled out my trusty compass :D

Got a signal strength of 117.

Called E* and got the Voom channels activated in about 10 min.

Thanks to everyones input.

Hi guys. First post here. I am an existing E* customer and I'm pretty excited to finally get more HD content. Here is my situation:

I have one Dish 500 installed and have an 811 receiver for the HD content. At the time of my install, I was told I qualified for a free second dish (a 300?) if I wanted it. I was told it would only bring in 3 stations so I declined.

After I saw that Voom content was added but I needed a second dish, I called them and asked them about receiving the second dish free. They said they would do it, but they would not point it at 61.5 since THAT install is $100. I said "fine" and they are coming out this Sunday to do the free install that came with my initial contract.

Here are my questions:

1) I live in CA (SF Valley). Anyone else successfully pointed at 61.5 and getting Voom content? The E* rep I spoke with told me that bird is low on the horizon for west coast and I may have a problem.

2) The second dish they are installing is the 300. The rep I spoke with checked for me and said that it would receive the Voom content if it was pointed at 61.5. Sound right?

3) I don't have any problem jumping up on the roof and re-pointing the new dish if I need to. But I am wondering if I could just ask the installation guy to point it at 61.5 without them trying to charge me the $100. Anyone else try this? I am thinking it's at least worth a try.

Thanks for any help guys!

Here are my questions:

1) I live in CA (SF Valley). Anyone else successfully pointed at 61.5 and getting Voom content? The E* rep I spoke with told me that bird is low on the horizon for west coast and I may have a problem.

A: 61.5 would be low on the horizon for CA. If you have a clear line of sight, it will work fine.

2) The second dish they are installing is the 300. The rep I spoke with checked for me and said that it would receive the Voom content if it was pointed at 61.5. Sound right?

A: A Dish300 is all you need.

3) I don't have any problem jumping up on the roof and re-pointing the new dish if I need to. But I am wondering if I could just ask the installation guy to point it at 61.5 without them trying to charge me the $100. Anyone else try this? I am thinking it's at least worth a try.

A: It never hurts to ask. Just ask him to point it at 61.5 instead of 148. If he says no, go back and do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts