how do i position the antenna with the gbox without using the gbox controller

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chaskuchar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 16, 2010
saint charles, missouri
i did figure out that i could move the antenna with the positioner screen by setting to steps on az positioner to 1, 2, 3, 4 or continue. problem is when i move the dish, the strength and quality goes away. i could increase the quality by moving the dish but i had to back out of the adjustment and then check quality. however, is there a place when to set the count so the dish goes back to that position when i change satellites? i didn't see anything in the setup or faq for the azbox on this problem. thanks, charlie

that was in k band. in c band i do get strength and quality during the adjustment. but i don't know what saves the position. i did go from rt on 97w to 99w c band ok after i set diseq on 99w. charlie

Charlie,

To save the newly found position with the AZBox, use the COMMAND MODE. Highlight POSITIONER SETUP, then ? / ? to DiSEqC1.2 and click OK to open that menu.
Then, after you have selected the STEP SIZE and located the satellite using the MOVE DISH function, drop down to the last line COMMAND MODE and ? / ? til you find the SAVE option and click OK. It will automatically store the position within the motor's memory as Pn. If it is the first sat you have stored, the position will be saved as P1.

You have the option (by dropping down to the next line) to manually set the position number yourself (P1 through P125). I have never used this manual numbering feature as I only have one satellite set up to use DiSEqC1.2 control (Hispasat @ 30W).

RADAR

i could use that to get the same position numbers as i had with the s9 but am using whatever it decides right now. however after two hours of searching for ses1 k band, i broke down and moved the gbox to the living room. since there was no room for a new cable there from the basement i had to drill a new hole between the floors. this time it's not a half inch hole, i got a one inch hole. i can run a bunch of cables through there... moving the gbox helped. i still have problems getting the q to show up but once i do, it's a good thing. like the q better than on the openbox to max the signal, at least i think. i will wait until i got more dishes positioned. i set up two favorites. one for mom and one for dad. now i can go where i want to and mary can go to her movies. have to look for them as i go along. thanks for the help and when you find a new place to live and we are going thorough, we can stop by and see you. we used to live in lyons 40 years ago so i used to use 75 south by there. charlie

Charlie,

I am not really adept at using DiSEqC1.2 motor positioning since I only have one sat programmed with it. I only have a H-H Ku band setup and that is disconnected now due to the moving experience.

USALS does a mathematical calculation every time a satellite is called up and creates a COMMAND string using DiSEqC1.2 protocol that is sent to the motor.
DiSEqC1.2 programmed sats are manually located by stepping the motor to dial in on the sat signal and then saving the optimum position and that position is recorded within the motor memory space. Each satellite is assigned a NUMBER (P1, P2, P3 etc). When a specif satellite is called up, the receiver looks at its assigned Position number (P1, P2 or P3 etc) and sends out the command for its assigned number.

Since we know that DiSEqC1.2 positions are stored in the motor memory, I would expect that you could replace any DiSEqC1.2 IRD with another DiSEqC1.2 compatible IRD and program the satellites in the list to have the same position numbers that the original IRD had assigned to them.

For example, if the S9 had Hispasat programmed as position P1, then if you could tell the AZBox that Hispasat was at position P1 also, then you wouldn't have to manually dial into the signal and reprogram it, you would just have to assign the position P1 to Hispasat within the AZBox. Unfortunately, I never played around with this as I never had the necessity, opportunity nor the time. I am not sure how you would assign the programmed position numbers to each satellite.

I guess it would just be a matter of trying this or that and see if it works. Maybe if you opened the DiSEqC1.2 menu for a specific satellite (let's say one that was already pre-programmed by another IRD and stored in the motor as P5) and instead of redialing the satellite in and AUTO-SAVING it, you could just program the new IRD so that the same satellite was indexed as P5. Maybe then the IRD would say "Hey, I know what the command string is to tell a motor to drive to P5" and send that command out to the motor. Since the motor already knows which satellite (which position) is stored in its memory at P5, it automatically drives there.

Do you follow my logic or did I just manage to confuse you? Or am I totally wrong? Please forgive me if I am wrong. I do believe that someone who knows DiSEqC1.2 protocol more in depth will correct me if I am incorrect. Otherwise, maybe I will spur folks on to test it out and find the answer.

On to another subject: Charlie, it would be a pleasure to meet you and Mary in person. Too bad I have to move from this location. I think you would really like to see the view here from the bluff overlooking the Elkhorn River. I can sit out there (or lay down in the short grass with a straw hat on) and watch the clouds go by and the eagles and hawks soaring about and the turkey buzzards too.

.... Hey.... Wait a minute.... Those turkey buzzards are circling......... ME!!!! Hey you turkey buzzards! I ain't dead! I'm just soaking in the sun!

LOL

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts