How do you record local channels on Tivo?

Jeff_in_MA

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Has anyone figured out how to record local channels on Tivo? During the Tivo setup, if you select "satellite only" as the source, then Tivo will only show channels 100 and up. If you select "satellite and antenna", you get all the local channel programs available in Tivo but Tivo expects to get local channels on RF input. My Voom box S-video is going into the Tivo S-video input. Help please!!!

Jeff_in_MA said:
Has anyone figured out how to record local channels on Tivo?
Can't be done.

I just moved, and got Voom hooked up last week, but haven't even had a chance to hook it up to my Tivo yet. But I do know based on reading over the past month or so that you canNOT record Voom locals on Tivo.

I got that either on this forum or www.tivocommunity.com (or possibly both).

It's in the Voom FAQ that Tivo will work but not for local channels.

I have a diplexer splitting out the satellite and antenna feeds before getting to the Voom stb. I then split the antenna feed to have one routed to the stb and the other to my Tivo RF. A bit of a quirky setup, but at least I can record all of the locals, including CBS which I can't get in HD whatsoever.

Btw, if you have a diplexer that mounts to your stb, make a trip to Radio Shack and get a diplexer. It looks exactly like a splitter.

Jeff_in_MA said:
Has anyone figured out how to record local channels on Tivo?
It is not great but there is a partial solution that I use to record my local channels. Contrary to some assertions made in these forums one can record most local channels even though they don't show up in the program guide in TIVO. Granted one of the major reasons people get TIVO in the first place is to not have to program it like a VCR to record a program.

To record an unlisted local channel select "Manual" as the method to record a particular channel at a particular time. One can setup recordings of any broadcast network channel provided it is a whole number (i.e. channel 4,5,7 versus subchannels like 5.2, 7.2, etc.) even though Tivo won't list it as an available channel - you can just type it in. I think some people erroneously believe that if there is no guide support then they are out of luck and can't program Tivo to record shows on those channels - not entirely true.

You mean TIVO does not have a "Line In" to record from? Can't you just select an input and tell it what time you want to record, then set your Voom box on that channel?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)