How does Dish choose which channels are in which tier?

While I am sure it involves more then what I am going to say, Dish and the channel operator negotiate which tier they are on I believe

I'm sure there is an art and/or science. I'd like to drop this or that but this or that is in one package or the other. See what I mean.

My first thought is, why would I think G4 for example should be in the top 120? In fact, I would not, it's a niche channel that belongs in a package where people are willing to pay for it, not in a package people pick to pay less. That's one answer. As someone mentioned, it's certainly negotiated.

The packages are very skillfully crafted. Each package is designed to give you a reason to consider upgrading to the next tier. It's all about the up-sell. Anyone who has ever tried to pick the right package to get all of the channels that they want in the lowest tier knows exactly what I'm talking about. Unless you want to go all the way to the top, there is always a trade off between cost and specific channels that will force you to think really hard about how much specific channels are worth to you.

Earlier this year, my wife and I actually did an audit of which channels we actually watch regularly, created a matrix of which packages included which channels, and then had to decide what we could live without.

How exactly they decide, well, I suppose that is their "secret sauce". All I can say is that DISH is an expert at it.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
The packages are very skillfully crafted. Each package is designed to give you a reason to consider upgrading to the next tier. It's all about the up-sell. Anyone who has ever tried to pick the right package to get all of the channels that they want in the lowest tier knows exactly what I'm talking about. Unless you want to go all the way to the top, there is always a trade off between cost and specific channels that will force you to think really hard about how much specific channels are worth to you.

Earlier this year, my wife and I actually did an audit of which channels we actually watch regularly, created a matrix of which packages included which channels, and then had to decide what we could live without.

How exactly they decide, well, I suppose that is their "secret sauce". All I can say is that DISH is an expert at it.

-SF

Your absolutely correct.

When you have been selling the service as long as I have, it's the biggest complaint from new customers that they can't get all their favorite channels in the basic pack.

Customers who get the family pack, or At120 either don't watch enough tv to care about the channels or are getting it on price only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)