How does Verizon pick what communities to enter into a franchise Agreement with?

garn9173

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Ankeny, IA
Is it random? Is it based on requests? It seem's like to me Verizon has been putting FIOS in mostly suburbs. Ankeny, IA (where I live) is a suburb of over 30,000 in the Des Moines metro.

I sent an e-mail to the city offices asking 1 - if they've ever heard of FIOS (which I doubt) and if they've been contacted by Verizon about FIOS (which I doubt). In any case, I provided a link describing what FIOS was all about.

Here my take...

It's largely based on population density, expected market penetration, competition, location (fit into their overall network and local hub and spoke architecture), politics (cable franchise policies and other barriers to market entry), prioritization (would eventually like to run fiber to every home and business, but have limited financial and human resources...not to mention shareholder concerns), and various other technological, business and political concerns.

Simply said, they aren't going to enter a market unless they it will profitable at some distant point in the future. Plus, they will go after the easiest markets to penetrate in order to generate subscriber revenue.

garn
FIOS is only available in Verizon Telephone markets (there may be some exceptions, but this is the norm)

Ankeny is Qwest land. I am in Qwest land too so I am SOL

no it based on $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ how rich the area is

juan said:
no it based on $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ how rich the area is

you are 100 percent NOT-CORRECT. i am tired of hearing people say that. it is a bunch of CRAP fed by the cable companies.

highly unlikely in terms of the money.

If Verizon isnt in that market for phone, they probably arent going to piss away millions of dollars makig a fiber network that they can't do phone service on.

IS anybody out there on FIOS and is in a market that Verizon DOESNT service for local phone service?

korsjs said:
you are 100 percent NOT-CORRECT. i am tired of hearing people say that. it is a bunch of CRAP fed by the cable companies.
uhh no the FIRST communities being wired for fiber are all WEALTHY..it only makes economic sense to offer expensive advanced services in areas where people have money to PAY for them..eventually ALL areas will have access to these services but that is 10 years away

juan said:
You are totally Wrong on this issue; your statement is simply not supported by the facts. The fact of the matter is that poor people will spend just as much, if not more, on their cable TV services than the wealthy...probably because those with money are out making more money. Likewise, Government Accounting Office studies have show that consumers with more than one cable choice will save 15-25% on their cable bill. Cable pundits keep throwing up this FALSE argument time and time again...but the reality of the matter is they don't want poor people, nor wealthy people for that matter, to have cable choices because they will all pay less for their Cable TV services.

This matter is strictly about population density and local government placing barriers to entry (they hope to extort them like they have big cable for years and years)...that's it. For your information, even the Virginia Congressional Black Caucus is on board with legislation to open the Video TV marketplace because they have seen how it will save their constituents money.

Next time, please support your baseless argument with at least one fact.

juan said:
uhh no the FIRST communities being wired for fiber are all WEALTHY..it only makes economic sense to offer expensive advanced services in areas where people have money to PAY for them..eventually ALL areas will have access to these services but that is 10 years away

uhh, yes. my communitiy was one of the first wired and i promise you, i am by no means wealthy. there are many communities close to me that i do not consider wealthy and also had fios very early.

you are very mis-informed on certain things.

I have a feeling it'll be a LONG time for me...

I live in Pine Hill, New Jersey and can see the Philly skyline from my front door, but can't even get DSL from Verizon at this point. I've been clammering for the chance to spend my money on something other than the $42.95 cable internet access form Comcast and their $79 "digital silver" package, but wonder when they'd roll out Fios in my area when they never even did DSL... :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)