How easy is it to self install a Centurylink Modem?

Deadlocked

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I know this is the wrong forum but I'm not sure how active the rest of the forum is so I'm sure I can get a quicker response this.

Thinking of switching to Centurylink for Internet and was wondering if anyone knew how easy/difficult it is to self install the modem and what the process includes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Easy. You plug in into a phone jack and follow the instructions included in the self install kit. Don't remember the exact process but I don't believe it took more than 5 minutes.

i think you have to connect the eithernet cable and dsl line and also a home phone line to the modem before connecting to an eithernet cable to the desktop since the laptops do have a wireless card built-in and you have to register and activate the modem also online.

And if I already have a router could I still use it if I wanted too?

If it's as easy as plug n play (which I expected) then I don't have to pay that outrageous install fee. Still considering buying the modem outright since it's cheaper in the long run than paying the monthly fee.

The modem uses the regular phone line. That cable will go to the modem DSL (or line) port on the modem. You will have to connect your computer via ethernet to the modem. The kit will include 2 filters. You will have to put the filters on any phones, Dish receivers, etc. that use a regular phone line. Once all connected and powered up, open your browser, it will connect to the modem and display the registration page (make sure your wifi is turned off on the computer). Now just follow the instructions on the browser.

The modem uses the regular phone line. That cable will go to the modem DSL (or line) port on the modem. You will have to connect your computer via ethernet to the modem. The kit will include 2 filters. You will have to put the filters on any phones, Dish receivers, etc. that use a regular phone line. Once all connected and powered up, open your browser, it will connect to the modem and display the registration page (make sure your wifi is turned off on the computer). Now just follow the instructions on the browser.
No home phone and Dish is connected via Wifi. So it sounds very easy!

Thanks!

Just follow the quick start guide that is in the kit for hooking everything up. Pretty foolproof. Only problem I had was bad cabling outside. They had to run a new drop for me as the line running to my house was borked.

You must have a a phone connection to the house. No dial tone but a signal. You can tell as your phone dial tones will work if you plug one in to test.

They told me just plug it in, it did not work at all. Turns out the house never had century link and the cable was never connected to the house.
They then wanted $80 so be sure to check or ask first.
Their customer service is not very good so be sure to get the 30 day money back guarantee in case it does not work out.

I know this is the wrong forum but I'm not sure how active the rest of the forum is so I'm sure I can get a quicker response this.

Thinking of switching to Centurylink for Internet and was wondering if anyone knew how easy/difficult it is to self install the modem and what the process includes.

You need an active phone jack ( phone line ) usually in my area it's a green line. You need an active port on their phone tap.
Plug into power after hooking the phone line into the Phone jack. Take a router and plug Ethernet into the #1 Ethernet port. ( if it's not a wireless gateway) .
Log onto your computer and configure your network. Passwords are on the bottom of the modem and for your router come in the box.
I work for Dish network but have helped customers configure networks of all sorts to hook up their hoppers. Charter, Comcast, CenturyLink..
Hope this helps

CL provides a wireless modem that, if I remember correctly, has 3 ethernet ports. No router or wireless AP is needed unless someone wants to add one.

You must have a a phone connection to the house. No dial tone but a signal. You can tell as your phone dial tones will work if you plug one in to test.

They told me just plug it in, it did not work at all. Turns out the house never had century link and the cable was never connected to the house.
They then wanted $80 so be sure to check or ask first.
Their customer service is not very good so be sure to get the 30 day money back guarantee in case it does not work out.
We had century link phone years ago but now we all just use a cell phone. I don't think anything was ever disconnected wire wise.

Are you in an old Qwest territory? Reason I ask is, I am in an old legacy CenturyTel territory and the customer service is quite good, I have read a lot of bad things about the customer service in Qwest territory. I know if I chat or call, they will ask my phone number or zip code and they have to transfer me sometimes to the "correct area" so evidently they are internally split into their old operating areas, sort of like the old Bell System.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)