How exactly does a diplexer work?

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
I know it lets you combine a sat signal and antenna on the same wire.

How does it do it?

Sat is 40-2050mhz, antenna is 40-1000mhz

So, how does it work?

And is it possible to combine *2* antenna signals on one? The frequencies are the same!

Thanks

philhu said:
And is it possible to combine *2* antenna signals on one? The frequencies are the same!

Thanks

What exactly do you mean my *2* antenna signals on one????

Two different channels off the air yes.

Sat is more like 1000Mhz-2000Mhz

Reg TV is more like 56Mhz-750Mhz

However splitters and diplexers will have a broader range of frequency stamped on them.

ke4est said:
What exactly do you mean my *2* antenna signals on one????

Two different channels off the air yes.

Sat is more like 1000Mhz-2000Mhz

Reg TV is more like 56Mhz-750Mhz

However splitters and diplexers will have a broader range of frequency stamped on them.

I have 1 line going to my bedroom tv.

I want to get ota antenna on there AND a cable line on there. Then at the bedroom, split them into OTA Antenna and Cable

I guess I need something called a stacker?

OK dragon and ke4est, I think Phil is a lot like me. We really dont know much about frequency or some of the other standard terms and info that others on the site already know.

So when someone says oh you can run two signals on a diplexers our eyes pop out the lightbulb goes on and we say all right I can put a cable and sat signal or off air signal on the same line. Then we need to get those signals to their respective tuners so we think SPLIT the signal and I know you tech guys roll your eyes and think these guys are so dumb...but to us it just seems so logical.

So from what I understand that the diplexer can put two signals on the same line. The line carries a range of singals so two satellite signals wont work. because they both have the same mnz range? So you need two different kinds of singal that wont interfere on the same line.

The question then is how do you separate those two signals when they get to the wall outlet? Do you even have to? And did anything I say have any merit whatsoever.

A diplexer stacks the OA and Satty signals on one coax. It can do this because they use totally different frequencies, as was previously mentioned.

You need a pair of diplexers for E*, but you only need one if you are running D* WITH a multiswitch with ant in. You can use the MS as the second diplexer.

As far as the OA signal, that should work, but your results may vary depending on your situation. Just make sure you use quality splitters, and not some old ratty ones.

chadzx11 said:
A diplexer stacks the OA and Satty signals on one coax. It can do this because they use totally different frequencies, as was previously mentioned.

You need a pair of diplexers for E*, but you only need one if you are running D* WITH a multiswitch with ant in. You can use the MS as the second diplexer.

As far as the OA signal, that should work, but your results may vary depending on your situation. Just make sure you use quality splitters, and not some old ratty ones.

So I can put 2 OTA antenna signals INTO a diplexer and then split them at the other end?

If not, I've seen stackers at http://www.9thtee.com/dssstuff.htm that allow 2 DSS SIGNALS, DTV or DISH onto one cable. These 2 signals use the same frequency range, so the stacker in this case, must be moving one of the signal ranges up, and upon split, moving it back down, true?

A multiplexor is a device that places more than one frequency spectrum on one line or one signal.

A triplexor places three frequency spectra on one line or one transmitted signal.

A diplexor is a device that places two frequencies in one line.

The so called "combiner" is a diplexor. The sat c lnb has a lower frequency than the sat b lnb.

A multiswitch with only a sat b lnb f1xed to the tone input port will see and translate sat b transponders.

A multiswitch with ony a sat c lnb f1xed to the tone input port will see and translate sat c transponders.

With both the sat b and sat c signals sent to the cable with the combiner (which is electronically a diplexor), the 22 Khz port sees both the sat b and sat c transponders.

Another type of diplexor called a combiner is a common TV VHF/UHF combiner allowing the placement of two separate differing frequency spectra on one cable.

The most common diplexor to us are the ones combining analog cable/broadcast bands with lnb signals on one cable.

A signal stacker technically has a built in diplexor as does a destacker. It also includes frequency conversion equipment. DishPro technology uses diplexors and stacker/destackers.

In all cases, none of these combiners or diplexors translate the signal. That is done by the multiswitch or the conversion sections of the ird, stacker/destacker or that section built in to the tv receiver. Early tv's did not have this ability. There were separate input feeds for both VHF and UHF. If the VHF and UHF signals were "combined" or diplexed at the antenna, a second diplexor called a "separator" was needed at the TV set.

A common splitter can be used to "combine" two different frequencies on one band, like a modulator signal on UHF 69 can be inserted into an OTA signal.

Last edited:
So if I get a stacker and a destacker, I can technically put 2 OTA ranges on one cable

like OTA antenna and Cable signals, true?

philhu said:
So if I get a stacker and a destacker, I can technically put 2 OTA ranges on one cable

You can do this with a splitter but the antennas have to be as close as 1/8 inch together or you will get ghosting.

Edit: The 1/8 part is the way the antenna is pointed. Depending on which type of antenna you have will depend on the distance apart .

The Tate said:
You can do this with a splitter but the antennas have to be as close as 1/8 inch together or you will get ghosting.

Edit: The 1/8 part is the way the antenna is pointed. Depending on which type of antenna you have will depend on the distance apart .

This is if you are trying to put the same signal on 1 line. You cannot do this if you are trying to do like 2 different signals.

philhu said:

No, you all misunderstand.

I am wanting to use a stacker, not a diplexer.

A stacker converts one input range to high frequencies, so signals of the same type can be put on one cable. I posted a url to it a few posts back. They are expensive and powered, but they work, or I think they do.

I have *2* antenna ranges to put on it. 1 is an ota antenna and the other is CABLE. They are not the same signal, and they are not 2 antennas. Both are OTA RANGES 40-1000. Thats what I meant.

philhu said:
No, you all misunderstand.

I am wanting to use a stacker, not a diplexer.

A stacker converts one input range to high frequencies, so signals of the same type can be put on one cable. I posted a url to it a few posts back. They are expensive and powered, but they work, or I think they do.

I have *2* antenna ranges to put on it. 1 is an ota antenna and the other is CABLE. They are not the same signal, and they are not 2 antennas. Both are OTA RANGES 40-1000. Thats what I meant.

The problem you will have is when you go to plug it into the tv. If you have an OTA channel that is 5 and a cable channel that is 5 it is going to be a problem.

The Tate said:
The problem you will have is when you go to plug it into the tv. If you have an OTA channel that is 5 and a cable channel that is 5 it is going to be a problem.

The outputs at the TV end will go to 2 different inputs. OTA will go to the input called 'Antenna' and the second output, will go to input called cable. I even will have a cablecard to decode the cable channels in the TV.

The tv has inputs for both sets of channels, and I could switch the input on the tv.

Make sense? Will it work?

The only way is to use TWO cables, you cannot combine OTA & CATV signals on the same cable.

n0qcu said:
The only way is to use TWO cables, you cannot combine OTA & CATV signals on the same cable.

Did you read my stuff about a stacker and destacker?

It MOVES one set of the same frequency to a different range on the cable, and the destacker puts it back.

So, if I have 2 same ranges of signal, why couldn't a stacker/desctacker do what I want?

Probably

philhu said:
The outputs at the TV end will go to 2 different inputs. OTA will go to the input called 'Antenna' and the second output, will go to input called cable. I even will have a cablecard to decode the cable channels in the TV.

The tv has inputs for both sets of channels, and I could switch the input on the tv.

Make sense? Will it work?

It should work since one of the frequency bands of the two sources are combined but separated in the frequency domain by the "stacker" (actually frequency division multiplexing) on a single cable and then separated by the "destacker" into two separated frequency bands (demultiplexing) and applying the two outputs into separate tuners. You cannot just combine OTA and CATV with a diplexer because some channels occupy the same frequencies. I am assuming that there are no preamps on the OTA antenna set up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)