How exactly does blind scan work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Test12345

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
I just received a Neusat SP6000 from a forum member here (thanks squid!!), which is by far the most advanced receiver I have used (seriously thanks a ton for this opportunity squid :D) and it has blind scan. Well, it didn't have Galaxy 19 in the list (or any other names that Galaxy 19 used to be called), so I made a satellite named Galaxy 19.

I then went to blind scan (or blind search as its called here) and there were a few options (vertical/horizontal,etc) and I let it scan. To my surprise it found about 260 channels. My question is...HOW? There was no identifying information about Galaxy 19 at ALL. Does it just see what signal it receives and then adds it?

Sorry about these silly questions...i'm an extreme newbie and i'm a little amazed, haha. :)

Last edited:
the satellite at 97W has been called a few different names

The "most common original" was T5 or Telstar 5
Then Intelsat Americas bought them and it became IA5
Then Galaxy merged or bought them out and it became G25 (any sat that IA owned they just added a 2 in front)
Then Galaxy launched their own satellite and put it there (G19) and moved G25 elsewhere

last I checked there are about 260 video channels on 97W

I saw (on Wikipedia) it was called IA9, but not 5. I know the others ones, and i'm really familiar with Telstar 5 because our receiver was so old that it called 97W Telstar 5 LOL! :D

Thanks Iceberg, I'm at 260 right now with the blind scan! Good to get some confirmation.

My question is...HOW? There was no identifying information about Galaxy 19 at ALL. Does it just see what signal it receives and then adds it?
With blind scan the box doesn't care,or need to know, what the name of the sat is,it's just looking for whatever it can find.All it really needs to know is it's scanning C or Ku and that you set it correctly to do so.
For example you could be pointed at 97"G19" but the box is set for say 85"AMC16",if you blind scan it will find the channels at 97 but they will be listed under the 85 sat.

some boxes will also do a network scan on 97w
I select 11789v 28125 and do a network scan and it picks up all globecast tp's.
the oddball other providers still need a blindscan to find initially.
My old microyal 1000 will actually pick up other globecast tp's in the background
even if I only scan 1 tp.After time the other tp's magically show up in the tp list.

I just received a Neusat SP6000 from a forum member here (thanks squid!!), which is by far the most advanced receiver I have used (seriously thanks a ton for this opportunity squid :D) and it has blind scan. Well, it didn't have Galaxy 19 in the list (or any other names that Galaxy 19 used to be called), so I made a satellite named Galaxy 19.

I then went to blind scan (or blind search as its called here) and there were a few options (vertical/horizontal,etc) and I let it scan. To my surprise it found about 260 channels. My question is...HOW? There was no identifying information about Galaxy 19 at ALL. Does it just see what signal it receives and then adds it?

Sorry about these silly questions...i'm an extreme newbie and i'm a little amazed, haha. :)

Don't worry about the so - called "silly" questions. You are not going to learn this stuff without asking and there is no such thing as a "silly question". Well, maybe there is, but you haven't asked that one yet.

Blind Scan is the topic. What is "BLIND SCAN"?

Basically, you drive your dish or point your dish so that you detect a signal from space. Your satellite receiver (your IRD) has no clue what satellite this is and it don't care. You may not even know what it is, but you probably have a better idea than your IRD! And you are LOST! (that's not personal, just a setup for the next step) So, you are out in the yard or up on your roof and moving your dish this way and that and BANG! Your signal meter pegs out! Do you know what sat you are pointed at? NO! You are BLIND. You know you have a signal, but you are not sure what the signal is. So you go to your IRD and perform a BLIND SCAN. The IRD is just as lost and as blind as you are at this time. It knows even less than you.

So, you tell it to BLIND SCAN the signal that you found. It doesn't tell you that you are wrong or right, it only scans the signals that it detects. If your IRD was setup to look for 97W and you landed on 101W, it doesn't know the difference. So it scans in all these channels and logs them as being on sat 97W. WRONG But, the IRD did exactly what you told it to do.

This is a BLIND SCAN. The IRD does not care where the dish is pointed to or what satellite has been selected in the menu, it just scans for all valid signals and drops what it finds in the folder that is open at the time.

Technically, the IRD is just looking for an electrical current reading from the IF section of the receiver. If the signal level is strong, it logs it, blindly or irrelevant to the satellite that is selected. It doesn't care about the name of the sat nor whether it is right or wrong. It found a good signal and it will record it on the satellite that is open in the menu. That is why it is called a BLIND SCAN. It doesn't know or care what sat it is searching, it just knows to look for valid signals.

I could blindfold you, walk you around in circles in my home til you were a bit dizzy and then tell you to open every drawer and pull out every 9V battery you find to test. You would probably check each battery with your tongue first, just to see if that battery even stood a chance. You would toss all the really dead ones and want to check those that seemed possibly good with a meter. But, being blindfolded, would you ever really know what room those batteries came from unless I told you? No. You would have to believe that you were in the kitchen if I told you so or in the backroom or this bedroom or that one. Unless you could smell my chili cooking in the kitchen. LOL

Anyway, if I point you into a room with a blindfold on (or point the dish at a sat) and you don't know where you are, you could still detect the signals and log them in, but you wouldn't be sure of where they were truly from.

RADAR

Thanks for the info guys! With my limited knowledge of this stuff, I figured this is how it works, because otherwise it would make no sense haha. Really a freaking awesome feature, once you blind scan you never go back. :eek: Saved me tons of time and energy inputting all those frequencies. None of the receivers (read: junk) i've had have had this feature, so I just didn't really know what it was. AWESOME! Plus I ended up getting way more channels than I've ever had too!

Blind-Scan is a feature that you definitely want to have in your IRD. Especially when you go searching for the wild feed channels. You may not always know what TP they are going to activate, so when you blind-scan, it finds all the active TPs on its own, automatically. You don't need to ask someone else where the wild feeds are, you just scan for them and if you have a good IRD, it finds them for you.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.