How high will gas go? Jim Cramer says...

Status
Not open for further replies.
New VW diesel in May, hybrid diesel not long after, 60 to 90 mpg. Honda diesel in Scotland now, here? Toyota, next generation hybrid. GM, Ford, working on a new battery for hybrid.

They don't have them in the US because Bush is addicted to oil,not the citezens. I think most of us want diesel but even diesel is way to high.

bushes saudia buddies ran the price of crude oil down before the last congressional election but that failed to save control of congress passing to democrats. although republicans have stonewalled everything democrats tried to do.

that will be fixed at next election

We have many to thank for Bush's reign.....mostly his Dad's friends Jim Baker, and a conservative Supreme Court, who coronated him. David Souter was so disgusted he came very close to resigning, but decided that would only give Bush the opportunity to replace him with another Scalia type reactionary. No, we've had to put up with this amoral nitwit for 7 long years thanks to election fraud, Karl Rove's slash and burn tactics, and our good friends at Diebold.

Cheney's friends at Halliburton have done very well. And I believe Jim Cramer. And Greg Palast is usually right on the money.

Here's another thing to be pissed off about:

More than 10 years ago, I was driving a 1989 Geo Metro 3 cylinder stickshift GASOLINE running car, that got a steady 50 miles to the gallon, and cost me $1,000 U.S. cash to buy. Ran that car for years, and I loved it. Easy to work on also. New, it was probably $6,000 US. Yes, you wouldn't be likely to survive a crash, but that made you more careful in watching the other people that were driving near you.

Today, you can buy a Toyota Prius Hybrid car that gets 53 Miles to the gallon, but costs at least $34,000 U.S.!!

How the heck is that progress? $28,000 MORE than the brand new price of the Geo, but only 3 MPG better mileage? 18 years after the first Geo Metro left the assembly line? Where's the technology gone?

How come the U.S. doesn't have anybody building a 3 cylinder Diesel hybrid, with at least a 6 speed tranny, that should be capable of 100MPG?

With everybody talking about oil and the price of gas, perhaps it's a good time to remind folks how the price of gas is a pimple on a gnat's ass in the economic scheme of things. The rising price of oil affects the economy in ways worse than just rising gas prices.

Airlines are feeling a huge pinch in their fuel costs, too, and this makes it even more difficult. Shipping and transportation rates go up as a result.

Finally, consider this: oil is a key ingredient in many items, plastics and textiles two of the main things. Do people realize just how many things are manufactured using oil? When oil prices rise, the products that need oil to be made also will rise in price, and it is this effect that will have a far greater toll upon our economy.

How come the U.S. doesn't have anybody building a 3 cylinder Diesel hybrid, with at least a 6 speed tranny, that should be capable of 100MPG?

They don't make them - because people won't buy them - simple as that.

We Americans don't want a car that gets 100MPG .. because it will be small, lightweight, it won't have 18 cup holders and it will go from 0-60 in about three weeks.

If we were ready for more fuel efficient cars we would not still be buying SUV's and Trucks before small cars.

Things are going to have to get a whole lot worse (and more expensive) before the car manufacturers start building more small cars.

The good news is .. the technology is there right now for cars that get 40-50-60 mpg ... most cars in most other countries are already far more fuel efficient than the majority of cars over here right now ... but until the American public decides that its time to start driving something that gets them from a-b rather than something that can carry a football team and survive the next nuclear holocaust .. nothing is going to change.

Ask around tomorrow - ask 4 or 5 people at work what car they are thinking of buying next time they "upgrade" it won't be anything small, light and fuel efficient i can assure you.

:)

Last edited:
Here's another thing to be pissed off about:

More than 10 years ago, I was driving a 1989 Geo Metro 3 cylinder stickshift GASOLINE running car, that got a steady 50 miles to the gallon, and cost me $1,000 U.S. cash to buy. Ran that car for years, and I loved it. Easy to work on also. New, it was probably $6,000 US. Yes, you wouldn't be likely to survive a crash, but that made you more careful in watching the other people that were driving near you.

Today, you can buy a Toyota Prius Hybrid car that gets 53 Miles to the gallon, but costs at least $34,000 U.S.!!

BS!Just bought a Camry Hybrid fully loaded options for under 30K. Maybe you can pay that much but the rest of us would only pay $24,000 for the Prius.

We import somewhere around 70% of our oil and our dollar is weakening and its probably going to get weaker because the federal reserve is dropping interest rates to ease credit.

I think 50 cents a year unless something drastic happens, if we attack Iran who knows.

BS!Just bought a Camry Hybrid fully loaded options for under 30K. Maybe you can pay that much but the rest of us would only pay $24,000 for the Prius.

Wow, ok, you are right, I just looked again. The last time I looked at the price of the Prius, it was running at a premium of $30 to 34K. Still, the point of my post is that the early Metro's got the same mileage as a Prius, and did the same job, even if it didn't look as pretty. At a 1/4 of the price than even the 24K you quote above. If people weren't so dense as to think they need to drive around in Hummer's, perhaps others could get the type of cars that should be an available choice.

Wow, ok, you are right, I just looked again. The last time I looked at the price of the Prius, it was running at a premium of $30 to 34K. Still, the point of my post is that the early Metro's got the same mileage as a Prius, and did the same job, even if it didn't look as pretty. At a 1/4 of the price than even the 24K you quote above. If people weren't so dense as to think they need to drive around in Hummer's, perhaps others could get the type of cars that should be an available choice.

You're talking about buying a used car in 1989 vs new in 2007.

In 1989 most Japanese models were selling below the cost of US models. Now, they are selling at price parity. Pricing has also escalated dramatically on cars in the almost 20 years since you bought a used Metro for $1K.

Cheers,

You're talking about buying a used car in 1989 vs new in 2007.

In 1989 most Japanese models were selling below the cost of US models. Now, they are selling at price parity. Pricing has also escalated dramatically on cars in the almost 20 years since you bought a used Metro for $1K.

Cheers,

That's true, but it still avoids the point I've been making that The Metro was gas only, and still got 50 MPG. It's 18 years later, and the Prius only betters that by 3 MPG, and with supposedly far superior technology. I would expect the Prius to get 80MPG minimum, all things considered. It's a step in the right direction, but still has a long way to go. I'm glad manufacturers are at least going in that way.

If they had the engine that was in the Metro and put it in the prius with the hybrid then it might get 25% better fuel economy. Make that engine a diesel and maybe it will get a little extra power and mileage and reliability. I can see your view John Kotches. The newer cars have a bit more power though than they did back then so that might have something to do with it.

How many people here remember the mission the crew from "Alien" was on? That's right, retrieving crude oil from other planets because Earth ran out, and not for fuel, but for plastics. Of course, the Company had other ideas, but that's another thread...

I was thinking the other day about what would happen if the automotive industry adopted a PC paradigm: One or two engine manufacturers that would be able to sell a few, high-efficiency engines to the car companies, and since that is all they do, they create more efficient vehicles overall.

Closer to $7.60 per gallon right now in the UK ... and rising ...

In UK its $2.75 (U.S.) per gallon if you remove VAT and other taxes equaling 188%. The U.S. federal gasoline tax 18.4¢/gal and various states range from 10 cents to 33 cents, with an average about 22 cents per U.S. gallon. With the weak and falling dollar and that the pound has doubed in value against the dollar so the real cost of oil in the U.K. is half the burden that we have in the U.S plus taxes.

In UK its $2.75 (U.S.) per gallon if you remove VAT and other taxes equaling 188%. The U.S. federal gasoline tax 18.4¢/gal and various states range from 10 cents to 33 cents, with an average about 22 cents per U.S. gallon. With the weak and falling dollar and that the pound has doubed in value against the dollar so the real cost of oil in the U.K. is half the burden that we have in the U.S plus taxes.

Price of the dollar has actually gone from around 1.70 per pound to just over 2 dollars to the pound over the past few months .... which is closer to 30% increase/decrease in value .. but yes -- the majority is made up of taxes ... the point however is that the cost of fuel can increase MUCH more here in the US before the world will come to an end ... ;)

If the price of gas is $4 - $5 or even $6 or even $8 per gallon.. people will still pay it .. and they will still drive trucks and SUV's ... they will just sacrifice their 7-day a week eating out habits and eat out 6 days a week - or they will drop from a 73" tv to a 65" tv ... there is still LOTS of room for the price of gas to go MUCH higher before people really start feeling the pinch enough to stop buying cars that they want and instead start buying a car to get from a to b ...

As I said earlier, the price of gas due to oil's increase is but the tip of the iceberg in terms of economic impact. People here can keep spouting the line that gas still isn't that high--yes it is--but the fact remains: rising oil prices will damage our economy in ways UNrelated to gas prices, and it is this that we keep forgetting.

… If the price of gas is $4 - $5 or even $6 or even $8 per gallon.. people will still pay it .. and they will still drive trucks and SUV's ... they will just sacrifice their 7-day a week eating out habits and eat out 6 days a week - or they will drop from a 73" tv to a 65" tv ... there is still LOTS of room for the price of gas to go MUCH higher before people really start feeling the pinch enough to stop buying cars that they want and instead start buying a car to get from a to b ...

Driving habits are definitely hard to break, but I don’t agree that people will continue to buy the guzzlers like they have in the past. Some will, of course, but when it’s time for a new vehicle, most will be checking out the MPG figures.

The fallout in the economy is hard to predict. The cost of most everything should rise sine oil is a basic ingredient in so many products (plastics, e.g.) and the cost of transporting everything. As people cut back on frivolous spending to pay those additional costs, they’re cutting off the wages of others who then also can’t spend, cutting off the wages of even more. It can be a nasty spiral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)