How is "The Tube"?

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I did a new scan (last one awhile ago) surprised to see The Tube came up but it's a black blank screen...probably isn't broadcasting yet but it's interesting...I checked their site and it just says TBA so it isn't my tuner......

That's available in Baltimore as 54-2 or 54-3 depending on what subchannel they are broadcasting.

I love this channel! Its all music videos from say 60's up to today. Simular to the local MIX station. Good stuff with very little commercials.

-John

Iceberg said:
The Tube kicks major ass!

Think MTV when they played videos and before rap :)

You got that straight! The Tube is freakin great! It's like a LSD flashback :eek: to High School/college and the days when MTV played videos with few commercials. The Tube is better because there is no annoying "VJ". We'll tune the HD box in the living room to it and turn on the surround without even having the TV on while we're working around the house.

You're in for a treat.

Funny how it now shows after that email!

So far so good...pretty interesting as it's older and newer and is all types of music...

The Tube is pretty good for what it is. Right now it is commercial free from what I have seen. They do stick some PSAs in there from time to time, probably to get people used to the idea of seeing ads. It does look a little pixelated on KTLA-DT 5.5 in Los Angeles.

Here in Nashville (good ol' Music City...) we started getting The Tube a few weeks back. I've been pretty impressed with their music so far. I really like their selections and variety.

Like dlsnyder in CA, the picture isn't that great here, either. It's on 30-2 here so I'm guessing it's bandwidth is pretty restrained.

By the way, dlsnyder, nice pic of Archibald.

I know which one you're referring to durl. I get the tube from the Nashville affiliate as well as the Huntsville, AL affiliate. It looks much better on the Nashville affiliate and sounds much better than the one out of Huntsville. This is due to the fact that the Huntsville station broadcasts 3 channels instead of just two. Another fact about the picture quality on some of those videos is due to the fact some of those videos come off of old tapes which reduces their picture quality and introduces lots of artifacting. The only way to get the Tube without added compression would be to find a C-band 8 foot dish and aim it at AMC-3 with a DVB FTA receiver.

durl said:
Here in Nashville (good ol' Music City...) we started getting The Tube a few weeks back. I've been pretty impressed with their music so far. I really like their selections and variety.

Like dlsnyder in CA, the picture isn't that great here, either. It's on 30-2 here so I'm guessing it's bandwidth is pretty restrained.

By the way, dlsnyder, nice pic of Archibald.

I wonder how many people have picked up on that? That picture is actually from his portayal of Noah in "A Veggie Tales Movie". I really wanted to use a pic of Larryboy but couldn't find one that I liked.

Last edited:
The Tube just became available here in Hartford/New Haven on WTXX-DT channel 12-2 (a.k.a. "20-2") of Waterbury/Hartford. Does the viewer determine the playlist by phoning in requests or is it predetermined?

dlsnyder said:
That picture is actually from his portayal of Noah in "A Veggie Tales Movie". I really wanted to use a pic of Larryboy but couldn't find one that I liked.
Actually it's Jonah (as in Jonah and the big whale), my 3 yr. son loves the movie's song "Jonah was a prophet, eww eww, but he never really got it, oh no..." :D

LarryBoy on the other hand is his Hero, and he's eagerly waiting for the new "Larryboy and the Bad Apple" to show up in the mail in a few days.

Last edited:
"The Tube" is without a doubt a much welcome change from MTV and VH-1.A few commercials/PSAs from time to time,other than that,it is all videos.No talk shows,no reality show crap,just music,and a wide variety of music too. :up :D I'm in the mid TN area and the reception that we get on our TVs is pretty good.It seems that during the late night/early morning hours,it starts losing the signal,pic freeze/pixilation.The reception is great during the daytime hours.Other than that,we love it over here. :up

Neat mix of videos, part of me wishes they had some "blocks" setup, 80's at 8:00, 90's at 9:00, but other times I enjoy the shuffle.

WUAB here in Cleveland gives it the shaft on bandwidth though. Some newer videos look decent, but if there is flashing lights/colors, or the older videos, it looks like your watching videos over the internet with a dialup conneciton. But the audio is good, so I can't complain that much.

Derwin0 said:
Actually it's Jonah (as in Jonah and the big whale), my 3 yr. son loves the movie's song "Jonah was a prophet, eww eww, but he never really got it, oh no..." :D

LarryBoy on the other hand is his Hero, and he's eagerly waiting for the new "Larryboy and the Bad Apple" to show up in the mail in a few days.

DOH!!! You are correct. I must have been having a senior moment there! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)