How long since the 4000/5000 receivers were king?

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
I started with Dish when I bought a 4000 receiver at a Costco, but I can't recall how long ago that was. If I look at my Dish account on their website, there appears to be no way to tell how old the account is.

Does anyone remember when the 4000 was out and being sold at Costco? I also remember following that up with the 5000, then the "upgrade" slide in cards for HD, the $10 DiscoveryHD Channel, and on and on.

I'm sure many of you remember the whole trip as well! :eek:

I bought my first 301 at Costco, but I bought my first Dish receiver (4900) from an authorized Dish dealer about 9 years ago.

I believe that was back in 1999/2000. The step down box was the 3900, I believe, and that one actually got the picture in guide feature (actually it got the much improved EPG in the similar form we still have today before the 4900: top left quadrant, top right quadrant, and bottom half for grid guide, the same as the 301/50X/510 today) as a software download quite some time before Dish finally got around to updating the 4900 with picture in guide. The 4900 users had to suffer with the original (terrible) "mickey mouse" guide for some time before the software update. The 3900 only had ONE video out and no optical out, while the 4900 had TWO video outs and an optical. Also, the 4900 had timers, but the 3900 did not.

I remember going to Costco with my aunt so she could buy the 4900 kit and a slave(2600?) and get the full rebate offer, which was Dish's initial "free" equipment deal. At that time back in 1999/2000, Dish interface and guide features were truly inferior. You could tell right away that we had the "bargain" satellite service. It looked "cheap." Of course PQ was superb. I never thought I would ever see the day when Dish boxes and guide and are preferred by me and many others and that Dish DVR's and even basic boxes are superior to any other provider. Dish DVR's really are the best. Now, whenever I review my budget and consider alternatives to Dish, I have to factor in losing some of the superior Dish technology. Charlie, you've come a long way, baby.

Last edited:
I think I bought my 4000 back in 96. As I remember, it was all mail order at that point. Charlie was advertising in the newspaper and it was cheaper than the DirectV / USSB combo that was needed with the other guys.

I installed it myself and it was the best thing to happen to my TV. Quite a difference compared to my low quality TCI cable signal. I did 'pipe' the analog output back into my house's RG-59 and could MRV back then.

Miner

I had the big Dish 5000 setup, with HDmodulator, panasonic 8VSB tuner, and Panasonic DVHS HD VCR. Still have about 350 DVHS movies packed in boxes. I should haul them out to the trash! Can't believe I used that stuff only 10 years ago!

I had the big Dish 5000 setup, with HDmodulator, panasonic 8VSB tuner, and Panasonic DVHS HD VCR. Still have about 350 DVHS movies packed in boxes. I should haul them out to the trash!
MPEG-2 HD? You should dig them out and compare them to today's fare. Some of us weren't upgraded back then and don't know what it looks like.

6000 had the OTA tuner and the 8psk module. That was required to receive Discovery Channel HD which was the first 8PSK channel on Dish. 5000 had the HD modulator, better known as 8VSB module which made it look like a local ATSC TV channel on output to an ATSC tuner.

Anyone remember or ever have the D-VHS model? Mine was the JVC brand. Paid $750.00. Was supposed to be upgradeable to handle HD, according to a full color page ad in Video magazine which prompted my purchase. Never happened though. Still have the receiver(not connected) and the copy of Video magazine.

4000s got upgraded by some for either IR or UHF remotes.

I started out with a 4000 some 13 years ago but soon upgraded to a 5000 for my mom who couldnt handle switching between OTA and E.

WAY BETTER than TCI.......

Sad E has gooten greedy:( they WERE a great company:(

I believe that was back in 1999/2000. The step down box was the 3900, I believe, and that one actually got the picture in guide feature (actually it got the much improved EPG in the similar form we still have today before the 4900: top left quadrant, top right quadrant, and bottom half for grid guide, the same as the 301/50X/510 today) as a software download quite some time before Dish finally got around to updating the 4900 with picture in guide. The 4900 users had to suffer with the original (terrible) "mickey mouse" guide for some time before the software update. The 3900 only had ONE video out and no optical out, while the 4900 had TWO video outs and an optical. Also, the 4900 had timers, but the 3900 did not.

I remember going to Costco with my aunt so she could buy the 4900 kit and a slave(2600?) and get the full rebate offer, which was Dish's initial "free" equipment deal. At that time back in 1999/2000, Dish interface and guide features were truly inferior. You could tell right away that we had the "bargain" satellite service. It looked "cheap." Of course PQ was superb. I never thought I would ever see the day when Dish boxes and guide and are preferred by me and many others and that Dish DVR's and even basic boxes are superior to any other provider. Dish DVR's really are the best. Now, whenever I review my budget and consider alternatives to Dish, I have to factor in losing some of the superior Dish technology. Charlie, you've come a long way, baby.

Turns out I mis-read the title of the post. I thought I saw "4900." Sorry. Never mind.

Your right Iceberg the 3000 was IR the 4000 was standard with UHF. It is really surprising how well the 3000 and 4000 have stood up over time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)