How many receivers on a Dish account.

rdavidowski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Caguas, PR
Hi People

How many recivers can you have in a Dish account. And is there any difference between a dual tunner receiver counting as one or two?
Did a search and there is no clear answer on this. Post if you can how many you have in your account.

Thanks for you answers.

You can lease 4 tuners, but can have 6 tuners on your account. That means you would have to purhase the other 2 tuners. Dual tuner receivers count as 2. So you can have 2 dual tuner receivers leased and purchase 1 more dual tuner. A 612 receiver has 2 tuners in it but qualifies as 1 receiver on an account.

Actually it is 6 receivers on your account, so you could have 12 tuners. If you want more, it can be done, Dish handles these on a case by case basis. Of course you would have to buy the receivers that go over the leased amount.

Dish will also allow people over the leased limit on a case by case basis.

I know for sure that you can only have 4 tuners on your account leased. I'll have to double check the rest of the receivers.

Well that is against their business rules for retailers. I know Dish can do whatever they want for a customer. Last time we installed that many receivers in a home the customer had to set up 2 accounts.

You're right, it is against their policy. I just spoke with Dish directly about this a couple weeks ago. I have a 722 which counts as two. She stated I could only lease two more for a total of four. I could then purchase two more for a max of 6 receivers in a residential residence.

The usual method of getting more than 4 leased tuners (612 aside) is being a longer term customer and working with the executive offices (CEO email). Like I mentioned above it is case by case based on how bad they want to keep the customer.

Both can be faked without too much effort.

Mike,

You may be able to spoof your IP address the receiver sees and reports to Dish, but it is next to impossible to spoof the Phone Line connection.

Each receiver connected to a phone line will eventually call in to Dish, when this happens Dish captures the Phone # called from. The information provided is not the Caller ID information, the Phone # capture is done via another technology called ANI ( Automatic Number Identification) this information can not be spoofed. If you use a VOIP service, the ANI # Dish gets is the actual location of the VOIP's Call Center and NOT your Logical Local Phone Number. ANI was devised so companies and individuals can account for the cost of that 800 Number calls, and again ANI is not easily defeated.

John

Mike,

You may be able to spoof your IP address the receiver sees and reports to Dish, but it is next to impossible to spoof the Phone Line connection.

Each receiver connected to a phone line will eventually call in to Dish, when this happens Dish captures the Phone # called from. The information provided is not the Caller ID information, the Phone # capture is done via another technology called ANI ( Automatic Number Identification) this information can not be spoofed. If you use a VOIP service, the ANI # Dish gets is the actual location of the VOIP's Call Center and NOT your Logical Local Phone Number. ANI was devised so companies and individuals can account for the cost of that 800 Number calls, and again ANI is not easily defeated.

John

I have boxes that will take your phone send it over the internet and convert it back to phone. Essentially they do private VOIP. They are commonly used in businesses to allow remote phones to dial out using the office switch. The switch I have installed in our office allows remote IP extentions, they can be anywhere and have a modem/fax connection on they phone. One can easily share a phone line from anywhere you have internet.

I have 5 receivers (722,722,622,622,211k) with a total of 11 tuners. I purchased all of the receivers and have done all of my installations myself. The 211k is not hooked to a phone line since it is in my workshop bldg. which is inaccessible by landline. They would not allow a DVR without a phone line unless I paid the additional fee.

Fos,

did you activate them all at once i currently have a 622 that i got at an estate sale dish 1000 and all want to go ahead an get the living room going. When i finish my house in the next month or so all the cables will already be run. i want to purchase my own equipment etc and hook up some more room 4 bedrooms and a theather room. all with HD.

I have read many different accounts as to the number of receivers/tuners permited on an individual residential account.
I am in this business and to be brutally honest I haven't a clue.
I have worked jobs where there have been up to 5 receivers at a single location. I have heard from other techs of accounts with even more.
Abolut a year or so ago there was a thread discussing E*'s "audit team".
This thread went on over to the number of allowed tuners, phone lne connections, etc.
That discussion did not reveal a set number of tuners allowed either.

The 211k is not hooked to a phone line since it is in my workshop bldg. which is inaccessible by landline.
It has power... You could try out the HomePlug technology; that should suffice in place of a phone line.

You can have up to 6 receivers [ single or dual tuner] on one account. I have installed six 722's in one customer's house. Of course customer purchased additional five 722s.

I have 6 receivers on my account, but only use 5.

One 622 is sitting on the floor unplugged and hasnt been used in a few months as I got the 922 to test and was using the 622 where the 922 is now.

The only reason I havent sent back the 622 is because in the fall I might use it and wouldn't want the trouble of trying to get another 622 in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)