how much additional recording time, with external drive?

Dimitri S.

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
San Francisco, CA
If Hopper allocates 500 GB, for a user's recording space, and advertises 250 hours of HD recording, if I connect an external hard drive, are the following assumptions correct?

500 GB drive = 250 additional hrs (500 hrs total) of HD recording time?
1 TB drive = 500 additional hrs (750 hrs total) of HD recording time?

Can someone confirm this?

Although in a roundabout way an external hard drive gives you unlimited recording space. Since you can have as many hard drives as you want, if you just keep moving recordings to them, you can keep recording on the Hopper.

An absolute amount of time is hard to establish. Eastrn and western arch have different compression ratios. OTA is also a factor. With my 722 and 211 I get about a 2 to 1 ratio. I can record about 2 hours for every hour the receivers say.

External hard drive is for archiving/storage only. It does not extend your recording time, nor can you record directly to the external drive.

I disagree

you can play right off the EHD, so it not just for archiving and storage. it absolutely increases your recording space. You can record something then move it over to the EHD and play it off there in the future. Which gives you more space on the internal drive.

How can the ability to record and save on 500gb then to 2TB not be an increase? You don't even have to move them back to watch them.:confused:

I know that on my 922, which had the same 500GB capacity, I had up to 400 recordings on it. Most were 30 minute to 1 hour shows. I'm not sure if that helps at all.

Breathing Borla said:
I disagree

you can play right off the EHD, so it not just for archiving and storage. it absolutely increases your recording space. You can record something then move it over to the EHD and play it off there in the future. Which gives you more space on the internal drive.

How can the ability to record and save on 500gb then to 2TB not be an increase? You don't even have to move them back to watch them.:confused:

It still doesn't increase your record time, which is what the OP asked. It increases your storage and archiving ability. Yes you can play back directly from the external drive but you still will only have 500gb of recording space available after you connect an external drive and move all your content over from the internal drive.

If you are traveling for an extended time and think adding an external will get you more time, your wrong. Unless someone is there to manually move the programming to the external drive, the internal drive will start deleting programming when it runs out of capacity.

Sent from my HTC Flyer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)