How much do you love your Wii?

thecristman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Gave my daughter a Wii for her birthday in November. Me being an old PS guy, I thought the graphics were cheap and slow, but now I am finding that it is the most used game in our house. The damn thing is addictive. We had 35 people in our house over Christmas and the game was never shut off. They adults wanted to play as much as the kids. My 50 year old neighbor calls me almost every day asks if he can come over and play. I wish I could find about 20 of these darn things to buy so I can get control of mine back.

My wife and I love ours. We went through a dry spell late last summer, but since around October we've probably been using it at least 3 or 4 times a week if not more. There is definitely something addictive about it.

My kids and wife have lots of fun with it. 4 year old is a bowling fanatic. heck, even the 2 year old plays tennis. She doesn't do well, but after watching us, she knows to move her hands. Her player looks like it's having a seizure, but she hits the ball now and then.

I was surprised (by my mother) with a Wii for Christmas - really more of a "family" present, I think, than something just for me...

Honestly, my impressions of it are the same as they were before I got it (I had played at a friend's house): It is fun, is something different - moving around instead of just sitting and pushing buttons - and it's something we can do together with the kids and others who are over. That being said, though, I wouldn't have bought it for myself, and I don't see myself buying any games other than Wii Sports and Wii Play (part of the Christmas gift) for the Wii, and as such it will have limited appeal - at least to me.

I think it will continue to be fun to do with the kids and guests, but for the most part it won't by my first choice when I want to play a game by myself. In short, it's one of the best toys/party games ever invented, but nothing more. Again, just my opinion.

After playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, it's hard to even look at the graphics on the Wii, but you can get past that (at least for a while) because it is fun. Even the great "innovation" - the motion sensing - is really not that great, if I'm being honest. Again, it's a fun differentiator, but it's also inaccurate and twitchy at times - sometimes to the point of being frustrating. Once again, fine for playing with the kids and at parties, but less than I would expect from my next-gen gaming system...

Anyway, I don't mean for this to come across as negative - I'm glad we got ours and we play it almost every day, but I wanted to give my honest opinion of what it is, and what it isn't.

The wife used to give me crap about my PS3, and how much I play it. She wanted me to get us a Wii for Christmas. I balked at the idea for weeks. I didn't want to get one, but she convined me to do it because the boy really wanted one and maybe we all could play it. I said I'll pick one up, but I probably won't mess with it much, it'll just be for them. Boy was I wrong. That thing gets almost as much time as the PS3 does. I Love that thing. We all play at least an hour a night 3 or 4 nights a week, and now she is the one eating up some game time. I bought her the DDR game and dance pad. She's out of control.

Although it's not my favorite console, and probably not the favorite of most people in our house (right now either the ps2 for guitar hero, or xbox360 for GH2&3 or RockBand are favorites) , the Wii gets played every single day at our home due to the variety of fun games that we enjoy. The other consoles only get played when we have enough people to sit down and enjoy playing a "session" of music playing games ;)

My four kids got one from "Santa" this year. I got it hooked up and running around 9:30 Christmas morning and it didn't get turned off for over 15 hours straight. It has been a fairly constant staple in our household since. Even my 67 year old father-in-law comes over regularly to bowl. He loves it and is looking to buy one for himself. He has an Xbox (not a 360) but only plays Madden on it. We have had other kids over and other couples and when it gets turned on, it doesn't get turned off until well after midnight at my house. We absolutely love it, but I don't see us using it for any of the games aside from the carnival, Mario, or sports games. We bought the Rayman Raving Rabbids game and after about 45 minutes - apparently it only allows one player - it got turned off and that disc hasn't been out of its case since. I swear, my family has gotten more exercise since we got the wii. It has promoted more family interaction as well. I think its a great console.

I've had the Wii for about a year now, and it is in constant use. I've been playing console video games about 25 years (got my first Atari when I was 5), and I can honestly say the Wii is easily one of the best consoles I've owned.

Over Christmas I got Fifa '08 and Guitar Hero III, and I can say that the use has not gone down at all. I love being able to play Zelda, or Fifa on my own, or having people over to play GHIII or WiiSports. The console is so versatile that there is never a time when the Wii isn't appropriate for gaming.

I, honestly, would not give up the Wii for either the XBox 360 or the PS3, but I would probably buy one of the others to complement the Wii.

We've only played our Wii once since we moved into our new place in June. Own 3-4 games.

Own 50 360 games, a Gamefly membership, and are close to buying a PS3.

Just got a HDTV (360 was connected to my 2405FPW Dell before) and plan to get component cables and Gamefly a few Wii games soonish.

I'm gettin a Wii with the intent to play Smash Bros Brawl to the point of melting the disc.

Big fan of the series and this looks promising.

mine sets in the closet collecting dust, and no im not selling it, had to pay 350 for it from electronics store in california, and i even have the battery charger cradles, and extra sport pack, and they have never been opened. i would rather watch satellite tv then play games

mine sets in the closet collecting dust, and no im not selling it, had to pay 350 for it from electronics store in california, and i even have the battery charger cradles, and extra sport pack, and they have never been opened. i would rather watch satellite tv then play games

Ah, I had my 360 collecting dust for few months, sometimes I just like to watch movies/sports on TV, 109$ my bill every month for satellite TV alone.
I get to use my PS3 nearly 8-10 times a week, I watch movies on it most of the times and play the games I have the other times...

I Like Mine about this much

I-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I

Mario Galaxy was fun to beat
Waiting for Super Smash Bro.s Brawl and new Mario cart w/ online playing:)

Last edited:
I love my Wii too. At one point, my only purpose in life was to reach the 2000 point *PRO* level in Wii Sports Tennis.
Rayman's Rabbids II is way too much fun in group.

We're going to have a family reunion this weekend (my mom is turning 70) and I'm going to bring it with me. It will probably be the highlight of the visit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)