How much RG6 cable will I need...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nosok12

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
For my OTA located in the attic . I have a 1 story ranch with a basement. I will have a 211 downstairs, a 622 upstairs directly above the downstairs 211 and a 211 in our bedroom on the opposite side of the house. Right now I have 2 25ft and a 50ft rg6 cables from radio shack gold series. Will the cheaper monoprice cables do the same thing? These cables are very expensive.
Advice

I wouldn't use any RG59 when running new wire. You never know when you might have a need to move or change things. I'd rather have it be all RG6.

I bought Belden 1189A RG-6/U QS (quad shield) from a local electrical contractor supply store for about 0.11/ft last year. That's a good quality cable to 1000MHz and will still perform to 3GHz (but not as low-loss as their better cables like their 1694A). You're (hopefully!) only going to do this once. What's the harm in spending a bit more up front for the best possible signal?

A couple of other hints: You actually need a better performance for OTA if you're in a marginal area. Most of the time the signal from an LNB in your DBS system is quite strong enough, but in many OTA scenarios like mine, every little fraction of a dB helps! The point is, unless you're in a metro or suburban area you should plan for the possibility of marginal signals.

If you're pulling new cables, pull more than you need for your current plans to allow for possible future expansion. You might consider pulling a Cat 5 or 6 data cable at the same time as both the 622 and 211 will have ethernet capabilities soon. It's almost as easy to pull a bundle as it is to pull one cable! Your only added investment is the extra cost of the wire (which is only going to get more expensive down the road!) and your labor will only need to be spent once.

I prefer the QS cable for installations that will share space with other wiring, especially anything carrying power that might also have interferrence on it. Also - QS is best for suppressing multipath interferrence which will still be a perplexing problem for some even with the digital signals. Others may disagree and as always, YMMV...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)