How Often Does the DVR 625 Phone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jcclark33

Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
I have Packet 8 VOIP and initially had some difficulty dialing out on the DVR 625. Yesterday I upgraded the VOIP firmware and was able to dial Dish Network.

Now, the instructions say you must be constantly connected, but when I tried to dial again today the message said there was no call pending. So does anybody know how often the 625 is programmed to phone home?

People have mentioned they get a screen that nags them to phone but I've never seen it. Maybe it had to do with how the technician installed it.

Any insight would be wonderful as I'd like to quit paying the extra $5/mo.

the receiver will only dial out once per month unless it hits a dial home condition. the nag screen just comes on when the receiver is booting and picks up the phone line but does not here a dial tone. do not worry about it. if you are really concerned about it and want one more test, a dish tech can make the receivers dial out with some type of command that they send.

First, in my experience the "Dial Out" option is if you have had the box disconnected from the phone line for some time with a PPV to report. If you find that you cannot order a PPV, then "Dial Out" will update your smartcard (report the PPV) and you can order PPV's again. Also, "Dial Out" is sometimes used during installation to download the latest software if it hasn't occurred automatically.
Assuming the box is connected to a phone line, the box will take its own sweet time to call in when it darn well feels like it. In some cases it may take MORE than a month to call-in and report your PPV's, especially if you have only a few boxes. If you have a lot of boxes, then believe you me, Auditing (also kown by the more kinder, gentler name of "Signal Integrity") makes sure your boxes call in at least every month. Also, if you have a lot (I think the magic number is 6) of PPV's to report, then the box makes like a bee to the queen, and is desperate to call at the earliest convinience. I don't know what your concern is. It all takes care of itself. I usually don't give it a second thought. But if you really need to report that PPV NOW, NOW, NOW, you can call Dish, and I believe the CSR can initiate the command for the box to call in, once your phone line is free. My advice is to relax and let "nature" take its course.

I should add that your only concern should be with the "Test Connection" option. That is your key. As long as it reports that phone connection is "OK" or "Passed", you don't need to worry about a thing.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. The reason I was concerned about frequency of calls was that I don't leave the line connected. My apartment configuration is such that I have to run the phone line across the room, so I was hoping that if I just occasionally connected and did the update manually I'd be in the clear.

Thanks again.

The receivers dial out on a random pattern, that is to say it checks to see if there is a working dial tone, a receiver will dial out when you have ordered a pay per view and will dial out when you call for tech support and they will do a remote diagnostic wich is pretty rare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts