How to access DISH via WiFi

Henderman

Original poster
Nov 17, 2022
Springfield
Well its time to move Grandpa to the downstairs bedroom. He has a DISH Wally receiver (looks like the new model with Ethernet and USB ports). We don't have the new bedroom wired so we are looking for a way to let him access his DISH channels via WiFi. Is that possible? BTW I can do the technical work, like connecting the wifi, but it would be best if nothing changed in the user interface, he's not really up to learning anything new.

Well its time to move Grandpa to the downstairs bedroom. He has a DISH Wally receiver (looks like the new model with Ethernet and USB ports). We don't have the new bedroom wired so we are looking for a way to let him access his DISH channels via WiFi. Is that possible? BTW I can do the technical work, like connecting the wifi, but it would be best if nothing changed in the user interface, he's not really up to learning anything new.
I think the Wally has the same interface as a Hopper or Joey, does it not? If so, I recommend getting him a Joey with a WiFi dongle or a Wireless Joey for him. Note that the new Wireless Joey 4 is an Android TV box and it has a different interface. If the room in the basement can get an Ethernet cable, you don't even need a wireless dongle or WJ. A regular Joey will work off Ethernet.

Caveat: I have never seen a Wally, nor a Joey 4 of any flavor. But I have run one of my Joey 3's exclusively off a GigE network rather than MoCA.

Reactions: charlesrshell
No, it's not possible. The Wally needs to be connected to the Dish via Coax