How to assign a 2nd remote to a reciever? Not having any luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robx46

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I have an HR23 in our main room. Then we are running a sdtv mirrored off that reciever in the room underneath that one.
The plan was to just get an extra remote (which I did, exact same model remote as the original one, RC64R), & program it to also be able to control that reciever (in RF mode of course, which I did set the reciever to) from the room with the sdtv.

Basically this is just to avoid needing to take the remote upstairs and downstairs with you when watching one or the other tv's. Having 1 remote in each room that can control that reciever gets rid of that problem.

Our installer today programmed our remotes, but this extra remote he didn't program & I was left to figure it out.

So, I tried what was said in the remote instructions. Hit mute+select, 2 green blinks (remote in directv mode), then type in 00001 or 00002 (says for all directv recievers those 2 codes should work, so I assume I'm correct there), then apparently everything is supposed to be fine.

No luck though. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure you can program another remote to the reciever, because what if you have a remote that breaks, and need to get a new one? Of course you should be able to program the new one. And that's basically what I'm trying to do here except its just an extra remote.

Also, does it even matter that this remote is a 2nd remote? If I set it up to work with that reciever, shouldn't it just work?
And again, I'm already in RF mode.
Seems like a real simple thing, so there must be something I'm in the dark about here!
Help?

Thanks

You have to marry the remote to a given receiver, that takes little more then just entering a 5 digit code.

Do the following on the second Rf remote:

1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 9 6 1
4. press CH UP
5. enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #(RID), found on a sticker in the acess card compartment
6. press SELECT

I just went thru this same situation.
Mine worked on the first try.
I just did the:
1. dtv
3. enter 00001 or 2

Pretty sure that is all I had to do.

You have to marry the remote to a given receiver, that takes little more then just entering a 5 digit code.

1. dtv
3. enter 9 6 1
4. press CH UP
5. enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #(RID), found on a sticker in the acess card compartment
6. press SELECT

You sure that is correct? that didn't work for me either. Assuming I put in the RID numbers correctly. The RID numbers are 12 numbers total, 4 in each set, so in step 5 above, I put in the last 2 #'s of the 2nd set, and all 4 #'s in the last set. Again, assuming that is correct.
I tried step 1-6 numerous times, no luck.

And even though the reciever is in RF mode, I tried the other method a few times anyhow, no luck again.

The remote works, its programmed to my other TV and operates that fine. So what might be going wrong here?
Is this definitely the right method to program a 2nd remote?

Finally got the 2nd remote to work, but it was real wierd how I got it to work. First, I used the dvr scheduler on my pc, picked a show for my bedroom (the choices being bedroom or living room), and nothing showed up on the bedroom DVR. Out of curiosity, I checked the living room DVR, and that is where my show ended up!
So then I scheduled something via pc for the living room, and it ended up in my bedroom!

Obviously, its clear now that something is backwards, maybe my access cards are switched around backwards.

But anyhow, so this made me think that maybe when I programmed my remote, it actually did program correctly, but for the wrong reciever. Sure enough, this was true.

So I programmed the remote to the DVR I didn't want to marry to, hoping that since everything is backwards it would work, but it didn't work!
Then when I tried to program it back to the other DVR again, I couldn't do it again!
Not only that, but the "other" reciever was never even put in RF mode, so how the hell was the remote working with it after doing steps 1-6 above, which are for RF mode?
Damn confusing.

Now, what to do? Well, for absolutely no logical reason other than being out of things to try, I decided to put the "other" reciever (the one I don't want to marry the remote to) into RF mode. This let me marry the remote again to the "other reciever".
But my issue is that I can't get it to marry the reciever I want it to, which definitely has been in RF mode.

So I tried it again anyhow, and it finally worked! Basically, for some reason, setting the other HD DVR to RF mode (which I did for no good reason) was actually, for some strange reason, what allowed me to finally program the remote to the reciever I wanted!
Why the hell would setting a different DVR to RF mode make my remote work with a different DVR? Damned if I know.

Everything is backwards. However, when I program the remote, I put in the RID #'s from the correct recievers (instead of the opposite), and this works. So that much isn't backwards! Yet my access #'s are.
What the hell my brain is gonna explode!

Oh well, when I use DVR scheduler, I just need to remember to record to bedroom to DVR to the living room (and vice-versa). And even though it was a complete pain in the ass, the other remote is programmed.
:)

In order for the remote to work in RF mode you must first assign it an IR code, either 00001 or 00002, then do the RF code instructions.

So do Franks instructions 1st, then do Edmund instructions 2nd.

Thanks

I just went thru this same situation.
Mine worked on the first try.
I just did the:
1. dtv
3. enter 00001 or 2

Pretty sure that is all I had to do.

1. dtv
3. enter 9 6 1
4. press CH UP
6. press SELECT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)