How to connect the 811

dcorazal

Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Need some advice:
I just purchased a new 811. I originally bought it thinking I would use it only for the OTA HD. I have one TV that is HD ready but no built in HD receiver. I have a 322 that I lease for this TV and one other using the dual tuner. Since I lease the 322 and have the 60 plus pack I get the locals included. Will Dish let me activate the 811 and use the OTA HD channels in my area (MPLS). If I buy the 322 I think I don't have to pay for the locals but haven't talked to them yet. I'm not interested in paying for Dish HD or increacing my $39 monthly bill. Any thoughts.

You should be able to just hook it up, assuming you have enough hardware, switchs, etc. to drive it. Hook up an OTA antenna and you should be good to go.
Without knowing what LNB you have and any switches, it is just a guess on what you will be able to do. If you do have an extra line from your LNB/switch you wouldn't even need to activate it theoretically. It just needs to see a satellite signal.

You will always have to pay for the locals to get them on the 322. If you drop the locals from Dish, you'll save $5/month, but only get the locals OTA on the 811.

Additional receiver: +$5
Remove locals: -$5

Net cost: $0

Thanks for the replys,
I just realized that the 322 dosen't have a ota tuner built like the 811 does. So I would need to keep the local channels.

I just cancelled E* and switched to cable. Fortunately, as long as I keep a line connected from the dish to my 811, I'm still able to get my local OTAs even though I'm not subscribing to any E* programming. No guide data of course.

I looked at my LNB last night and found it to be only a dual. I see both cables going to the 322. My Dish 500 and 322 were new around a year ago so I don't think I have a legacy dish or LNB.
Do I need a Quad LNB to add additional receivers? or is there a splitter available?
I have been searching this site and looking around ebay and other sites to see whats available. Please point me in the right direction.
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)